GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Power loss when turning??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 08:55 PM
LexLutha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss when turning??

Well this one doesn't make sense to me but half of the things a Lexus does doesn't make sense. Well this happens when i go to leave a red light or stop sign, i take off like a normal driver (actually it usually doesn't matter how i drive it) into the intersection and turn but halfway through it i seem to lose power like when traction control kicks in but without all the relays and crap clicking on and off, just no power. It also seems to only do it when i turn left but not right. By the way it feels it seems like it is trying to shift to second gear, like that dead spot between gears. Power comes back on when the wheel comes back to center. Has anyone ever experienced this? Also sometimes it just doesn't know what it wants to do when downshifting, for example i was turning through rushhour traffic one day and as i coasted into the intersection i picked my chance and went but when i punched it i got a 2-3 second pause before it decided to actually go, that was a close one. That was also a left turn. Sorry for the long post but this is driving me nuts and i wanted to try and be clear. Any ideas?

By the way this is a 98 gs300.

Last edited by LexLutha; 02-18-08 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Forgot car details.
Old 02-19-08, 09:18 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SEARCH 'traction contol' or 'VSC' and you'll find your answer.
Old 02-19-08, 10:24 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might need new tires, it seems like the VSC is kicking in to prevent wheelspin while you're turning, the VSC momentarily cuts power so that the wheels have a chance to regain traction.
Old 02-19-08, 03:59 PM
LexLutha
Driver School Candidate

i'll try searching for that stuff. I know my tires aren't that great but it's not spinning and the warnings on the dash don't come on when it happens so it's a little odd. I'm going to try a couple things tonight. Any other thoughts out there? thanks guys.
Old 02-20-08, 10:39 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just letting you know from my experience cuz that's been happening to me alot lately, I press the pedal about halfway when going around a corner and the VSC kicks in, I'll be getting my tires rotated on Saturday so this should help out ...
Old 02-20-08, 12:05 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turn VSC off and install a LSD...
Old 02-21-08, 12:00 AM
LexLutha
Driver School Candidate

Well i tried it going right as well and yes it does it to so i turned VSC off and it still does it then i dropped it into 1st and it doesn't do it so i'm thinking it has to do with it shifting into 2nd but i just can't imagine why. Does the ECU see a habit of spinning and delay that 2nd gear engagement or am i missing a bad sensor that the ECU doesn't see out of it's normal range? I'm just not sure what to look at. Maybe a wheel speed sensor? By the way i would love to get rid of the stock diff for a lower geared LSD unit but that's later down the road. I would like to learn a little from this like i did the Talon i have it just means i have to invest a bit more money. I would give my left nut for a turbo 2jz powered gs3 so is there anyone in need of a left nut?
Old 02-21-08, 06:15 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey! Welcome to the forums.

Check out this section of the forums,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/neloc-175/

If there's anyone in your area that would be willing to help you out, you're in luck!
Old 02-21-08, 06:19 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey! Welcome to the forums.

Check out this section of the forums,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

If there's anyone in your area that would be willing to help you out, you're in luck!
Old 02-21-08, 06:40 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you reset the ecu? That could help with the power loss feeling.
Old 02-21-08, 06:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLutha
Well this one doesn't make sense to me but half of the things a Lexus does doesn't make sense. Well this happens when i go to leave a red light or stop sign, i take off like a normal driver (actually it usually doesn't matter how i drive it) into the intersection and turn but halfway through it i seem to lose power like when traction control kicks in but without all the relays and crap clicking on and off, just no power. It also seems to only do it when i turn left but not right. By the way it feels it seems like it is trying to shift to second gear, like that dead spot between gears. Power comes back on when the wheel comes back to center. Has anyone ever experienced this? Also sometimes it just doesn't know what it wants to do when downshifting, for example i was turning through rushhour traffic one day and as i coasted into the intersection i picked my chance and went but when i punched it i got a 2-3 second pause before it decided to actually go, that was a close one. That was also a left turn. Sorry for the long post but this is driving me nuts and i wanted to try and be clear. Any ideas?

By the way this is a 98 gs300.
Sounds like your power steering pump is straining to function.. When was the last time that you flushed your power steering system? What color is the fluid in the pwr steering reservoir now?
Old 02-25-08, 07:32 PM
LexLutha
Driver School Candidate

With the power steering it should also do it at an idle as well i would think but it doesn't. I'm leaning toward the shifting thing but i just can't understand why the ecu would cut power when in between gears and in a turn. I'll try unhooking the battery for a few minutes and see if that works. Do you need a scanner to check for codes in the ecu or can it be done with a jumper wire like less intelligent cars. I do all my own work so i've got a basic understanding of most things but i've never messed with anything that remembers how you drive and taylors to you.
Old 03-05-08, 07:22 PM
LexLutha
Driver School Candidate

I just drove my buddies gs 400 today and his is very similar in the way it acts too only his is very mild compared to mine. His does it slightly at low to mid throttle but i wouldn't say it's a problem, i would think it's normal if i had never experienced mine. I'm just trying to avoid the Lexus rates to check it out and i just don't trust some of the people at some dealers. I took a different car to the dealer for an ABS problem and they told me that the ABS module(computer) was bad and wouldn't respond to the code reader ($5xx for a new one). I checked the wheel speed sensors and found a bad sensor so i bought a used one for $20. I've had other issues too. I apologize to those of you who are mechanics you're not all bad i just like to do it myself.
Old 03-05-08, 08:25 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better than my Talon, the ABS pump seized, charged $2K, and found ABS ECU faulty, want to charge another $2K, d(st)ealers.... bought my own used for $200

but the problem for your GS3, how's the condition and did last owner took care of it? and check all the ball joints, upper and lower and front and back... might have 1 moving a bit to kick the TC in, my rear left upper is bad and it's moving a tiny bit on stopping, and when I stop, sometimes it'll release about half of my brake right at about 5mph so it seems like the car want me to give a friendly bump to the car in front...
Old 06-22-08, 09:36 AM
quickex99
Lead Lap

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to this?