GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Getting Lexus battery prorated???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 01:19 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Getting Lexus battery prorated???

So my Lexus oem replacement battery is dead, it barely starts the car. The battery says 84 month warranty on it. The battery was installed via bumper to bumper warranty in March of 2005.

I figured I could just bring the battery to the dealer and get it prorated. Wrong! They want to charge me $150 plus tax. Is there any other way to get it prorated? I called local Toyota, they said no(even though the battery says Toyota on it.) I know it's an Interstate battery. The PN on it is 0054-MF240-575.

Oh and I forgot that my GS does this, but when the battery is real low, the trans slips in first gear. That was unnerving, but I remember it did the same thing last time.
Old 02-19-08, 01:30 PM
Zishan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
The battery says 84 month warranty on it.

Interesting. Did you ask them why it comes with a 84 month warranty? What's the point of "84 month warranty" if they do not honor it?
Old 02-19-08, 01:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah so what's the point of 84 months warranty? if the battery explodes you get a new one?
Old 02-19-08, 01:44 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

oh they'll prorate it, but I have to bring the whole car & pay $100 labor.

I can (and will) get a new interstate battery and put it in myself for about $70.
Old 02-19-08, 01:48 PM
Zishan
Driver

That's ridiculous! I would have told the guy, if your wife walked into this dealership and was told this, tell me how would you feel. Then I would ask for his manager. I can't stand people that give people a hard time like this. What's right is right. Honor the warranty.
Old 02-19-08, 01:49 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100 dollars labor to unbolt 2 10mm bolts. Nice. I thought labor charges would be covered under warranty, especially with a faulty part they put in originally. What a bunch of cheats.
Old 02-19-08, 02:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh they'll prorate it, but I have to bring the whole car & pay $100 labor.

I can (and will) get a new interstate battery and put it in myself for about $70.
that's stupid. what part of it states you have to pay the labor? feel free to give you the battery and you will give them back their broken one..

some dealerships...
Old 02-19-08, 02:52 PM
LexFather

Its the DEALERSHIP. The warrenty is for the BATTERY, not for any Lexus work needed to install/uninstall it.

They are F.O.S.

Did u try calling Interstate?
Old 02-19-08, 04:12 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Hey chuck, did u go to lexus of tampa bay? If so, who was your service rep? I been going there sooo much in the past 4 years, I weeded out the bad rep's and found a someone i can work with. I throw him a $20 when I get my oil changed, and then I ask him to peform any diagnostic's I might need ( beat's that b.s. $100 crap). For me it's worth it, cause I really don't trust any other mechanic's. I went with a red top altima battery about 2yrs ago and it's been fine ever since. Even if they pro rate your battery, they probably won't give you much toward's a new one anyway. Good luck
Old 02-19-08, 05:38 PM
VM 2
Pole Position

Down here in Baton Rouge, they'll charge you for diagnostics, but if the battery is under warranty they won't charge you for anything.

I had 2 batteries in 2 years when I had my old system in, and they replaced both for free.
Old 02-19-08, 06:35 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Did u try calling Interstate?
no, but I called a local mechanic I know that sells Interstate and he said no go. the battery actually does not say interstate on it anywhere and the part # is a Lexus PN, not Interstate.
Originally Posted by blaise
Hey chuck, did u go to lexus of tampa bay?
no, Lexus Sarasota. what stinks is that I've had the same service rep for years and she has always hooked me up before. this time she had nothing for me.

anyway, my friend from Toyota got me a "Toyota"(supposedly also an Interstate) battery for $65 otd. I'm putting it in tomorrow.
Old 02-19-08, 07:07 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Red face

Just buy a optima and slap it in yourself for that price.
Old 02-22-08, 10:47 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow

Why don't you just go to your local Sams Club and get their Energizer 36 month full replacement battery for like $56 and forget the Lexus battery? Sams Club doesn't even charge installation. Costco battery is also another option if you don't have a Sams Club nearby.

I just put in a new Energizer battery at Sams on my GS4. My wife's ES replacement Diehard Gold battery also went out after 48 months and Sears gave me a $25 credit on the old battery so I went with a new Diehard Gold instead on her car. So far so good.
Old 02-22-08, 10:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

+1 on Costco (kirkland) batteries. In the end, they're all made by one of the few major manufacturers. I've ran them in my old car with no problem. It's a shame I can't fit the marine battery in my GS, otherwise I would have gotten it instead of the Duralast Gold that's currently in my car.
Old 02-22-08, 11:10 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So my Lexus oem replacement battery is dead, it barely starts the car. The battery says 84 month warranty on it. The battery was installed via bumper to bumper warranty in March of 2005.

I figured I could just bring the battery to the dealer and get it prorated. Wrong! They want to charge me $150 plus tax. Is there any other way to get it prorated? I called local Toyota, they said no(even though the battery says Toyota on it.) I know it's an Interstate battery. The PN on it is 0054-MF240-575.

Oh and I forgot that my GS does this, but when the battery is real low, the trans slips in first gear. That was unnerving, but I remember it did the same thing last time.
Sorry to here about your situation Chuck..This is a topic of discussion right now in car chat with another vehicle (I bowed gracefully from that thread on my own).. As I mentioned in that thread, car dealers are not in the business of giving away car batteries for free or out of courtesy to satisfy the customer. There is a free replacement period and a prorated period when it comes to the auto batteries. By what you mentioned here, your battery should be within the prorated period and money deducted on the purchase of a new battery. Lexus warranty info below........

Warranty Coverage
The Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is actually better than some new-vehicle warranties. It's an extensive limited warranty, technically known as an "exclusionary warranty." Starting on your date of purchase, it offers the same coverage and privileges new-car buyers receive. To see what is and isn't covered, view the list below or visit your Lexus dealer for complete details.

This warranty also provides a complimentary loaner car, Roadside Assistance[1] and Trip Interruption Service coverage as described in the Stellar Coverage.

It is valid for three years or 100,000 total vehicle miles from your date of purchase, whichever comes first.

No deductible. Repairs made under this warranty will be at no cost to you.

This warranty covers any repair or replacement of components that fail under normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship except as set forth under "Exclusions."
Engine
Transmission
Final Drives and Axles
(Front-Wheel Drive)
Rear-Wheel Drive
Steering
Brakes
(Excluding Rotors and Pads)
Fuel System
Cooling
AC and Heating Systems
Electrical
Computer
Restraint Systems
Accessories and Controls
Wheels
The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/warranty.html

Quick Reply: Getting Lexus battery prorated???