GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Why are my lights dimming?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 05:18 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Why are my lights dimming?

Lately when driving at night I've noticed that my lights will dim a little when:

1. I hit the power window button

or

2: When I hit the break and the break lights come on

or

3: When my bass thumps loud

I'm not running that much power at all on my audio system: my amp is like 200 watts max and I have a Kicker L5.

Does anyone have an idea of what's causing this and how it canbe fixed?

Thanks.
Old 02-24-08, 06:55 AM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Sounds like you need a new battery.
Old 02-24-08, 08:48 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep. check the battery and the connections on your battery. i had a good battery one time but the battery post connections were always loose because the threads were worn.
Old 02-24-08, 10:33 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the battery condition and also check your alternator output. Most likely the battery is in bad shape.
Old 02-24-08, 11:06 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

So I just got back from Autozone and the battery measured 257CCA when it was rated 575CCA. The alternator tested good. I replaced the battery with an Autocraft Titanium which is rated at 700CCA. I'll have to check tonight to see if the lights are dimming as bad. Hopefully this fixes the issue for good.
Old 02-25-08, 02:24 PM
Chris2
Pole Position

Hope you found your issue. Sounds like a battery issue though.
Old 02-25-08, 02:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

CCA shouldn't really matter if your car is running. While the engine is on, the alternator is suppose to supply the power to everything, including recharging the battery. If your car is drawing power from the battery faster than the alternator can recharge it, then you have too much power being drawn (possibly your system?).

A new battery will help, but try to keep the volume down once in awhile to give the car a chance to recharge the battery.
Old 02-25-08, 02:45 PM
ServiceGuy
Driver

delete. gsteg beat me to it.
Old 02-25-08, 04:52 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Say your battery is nearly dead. You step on your brakes and your vehicle slows down, the alternator isn't charging at its rated output because the engine RPM is low. The battery is/acts as a storage device for situations like this, in other words, it assists the alternator with electrical loads. Alternators are not efficient at making power at low RPM, so when your battery is low, or has a bad cell, there isn't enough power to supply the vehicles electrical requirements causing a "brown out".
Old 02-25-08, 05:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Even at idle, there should still be enough reserve juice from the alternator, unless handzilla has been playing music to the point where his reserve power is being used up by his amplifier. Hence my recommendation to turn down the system to preserve his battery once he gets a new one

If I have time, I'll try to measure the current going back to the battery at idle and various speeds, just for fun
Old 02-25-08, 06:30 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GSteg
CCA shouldn't really matter if your car is running. While the engine is on, the alternator is suppose to supply the power to everything, including recharging the battery. If your car is drawing power from the battery faster than the alternator can recharge it, then you have too much power being drawn (possibly your system?).

A new battery will help, but try to keep the volume down once in awhile to give the car a chance to recharge the battery.
I understand what you're saying but at 200 watts would this really be an issue?
Old 02-25-08, 06:35 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Socks, I kinda thought that had something to do with it. The new battery seems to have helped some. Definitely not as much dimming.

The funny thing is if I turn my music up too loud the amp shuts off temoporarily. This hardly happens as I usually keep my volume (factory deck) between 9 and 10 o'clock.
Old 02-25-08, 06:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

What gauge power wire do you have for the amp?
Old 02-25-08, 06:59 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GSteg
What gauge power wire do you have for the amp?
I have no clue. I got it installed at Circuit City and have one of the smallest amps. So I have a feeling it's a smaller gauge.
Old 02-26-08, 07:30 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by handzilla
I have no clue. I got it installed at Circuit City and have one of the smallest amps. So I have a feeling it's a smaller gauge.
That might be your problem! I had a Pioneer put in at Circuit City in my las LS400 and after exhibiting the same symptoms as yours, took it to the dealer to diagnose the problem. They said the system was not wired correctly and was "stealing power" or basically "shorting out" one of the circuits in my car causing the lights to dim when the system was on. I know they messed up when putting in an AVIC D3 in a friend's car. You might want to check into it.

Quick Reply: Why are my lights dimming?