GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Decoding Vin # for options

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 02:25 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decoding Vin # for options

I know with some cars you can decode the vin # to find out what options it has. I was about to buy a gs 400 finally and it sold a day before i was going to get it. I am pretty sure I have another one ready being I had a backup plan, but I cant tell from pictures if it has heated seats. cant see the buttons. It has 17 inch factory wheels, sunroof, six disk changer, nak radio. with all that i would say it has heated seats but not positive. Also is there a way to tell if it had hids or not by picture or vin?
Old 02-24-08, 02:38 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

i have herd of such things with muscle and classic cars but i am sure you can do it with ours but ive got no clue where or if there even is one for ours!
Old 02-24-08, 03:52 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
I know with some cars you can decode the vin # to find out what options it has. I was about to buy a gs 400 finally and it sold a day before i was going to get it. I am pretty sure I have another one ready being I had a backup plan, but I cant tell from pictures if it has heated seats. cant see the buttons. It has 17 inch factory wheels, sunroof, six disk changer, nak radio. with all that i would say it has heated seats but not positive. Also is there a way to tell if it had hids or not by picture or vin?

why wouldnt you just ask the seller if it has what you're looking for and save yourself the trouble? as far as i know all 98-00 gs400s have heated seats. as far as the hids, again, why not just ask.
Old 02-24-08, 05:15 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

i know, but im looking at some on ebay that could end right now. car lot not open till monday. and no not all of them have them. check out alot of them in cali and florida. no heated seats and you can figure out why.
Old 02-24-08, 07:08 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

i know, but im looking at some on ebay that could end right now. car lot not open till monday. and no not all of them have them. check out alot of them in cali and florida. no heated seats and you can figure out why.

i wouldnt just buy one of these cars that are ending in 5 minutes without asking the dealers more questions anyway. you should never go flying into a "buy it now" deal with a car where you dont have enough time to contact the seller and ask all your questions first..

cali or florida doesnt matter, forgive me if im wrong but im pretty sure all 2nd gen gs400 have heated seats standard regardless of where they are from. lexus doesnt strip down cars based on the climate of the location where they will be sold. standard features are standard features. if you have proof of a 98-00 400 that doesnt i would like to see it, learn something new every day.

Last edited by upstateGS4; 02-24-08 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-24-08, 08:39 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
i wouldnt just buy one of these cars that are ending in 5 minutes without asking the dealers more questions anyway. you should never go flying into a "buy it now" deal with a car where you dont have enough time to contact the seller and ask all your questions first..

cali or florida doesnt matter, forgive me if im wrong but im pretty sure all 2nd gen gs400 have heated seats standard regardless of where they are from. lexus doesnt strip down cars based on the climate of the location where they will be sold. standard features are standard features. if you have proof of a 98-00 400 that doesnt i would like to see it, learn something new every day.
you must have misunderstood me. I was thinking of buying one off ebay that i new had all options, but one on autotrader that just crossed my eye im not for sure about. Im around 99 percent sure, but i dont have visual or proof from owner. Liked the one on autotrader better, but didnt want to miss out on one on ebay that was ending before monday. and here is a pic of a car without heated seats.

got navi, but look buttons are missing for heated seats. seen atleast 2 cars like this and both were in cali. Im sure you can order car without heated seats.
Attached Thumbnails Decoding Vin # for options-27h010446.06.jpg  
Old 02-24-08, 09:40 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if that is the car above then no it does not have heated seats. The switches would be mounted between the ECT and VSC swithces. And no not all 98-00's have heated seats. my buddy has(had his car met an explorer that wanted to kiss his butt ) a 98 gs400 with HID's but no Heated seats.
Old 02-24-08, 11:07 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

no thats not the car. im showing above poster proof that some didnt have heated seats. i dont have a pic like that to look at possible new car. thats why i was asking about vin
Old 02-25-08, 01:11 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

like i said, learn something new every day. you still need to not rush into buying a car thats about to end in a few minutes on ebay. take your time ask the seller all your questions first and find cars that arent ending in 5 minutes so you dont have to make a rushed decision. you will only be kicking yourself in your own *** if you rush into a buy without covering all your bases first.
Old 02-25-08, 07:41 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1999 Lexus GS: Addition of standard Daytime Running Lights was the sole change for 1999.
2000 Lexus GS: A standard Brake Assist feature went into both models for 2000, as part of the Vehicle Stability Control system. It automatically provided full hydraulic power in response to quick, strong brake-pedal movement. Child-seat anchors were added to the rear parcel shelf.
2001 Lexus GS: Subtle styling revisions and a larger V8 engine mark a mild freshening of Lexus midline model. The GS 400 becomes the 430 as a 4.3-liter V8 replaced the 4.0-liter unit. All models get side curtain airbags, wood interior trim, and an electronic compass. New audio and navigation systems and high-intensity-discharge headlamps are optional.
2002 Lexus GS: For 2002, the navigation system got revisions including multiroute calculation, simplified graphics, and route preview, along with a faster computer and the ability to play DVD movies on its dashboard screen.
2003 Lexus GS: Lexus' midrange sedan gets only minor trim and equipment changes.
2004 Lexus GS: The GS 300/430 received no major changes in 2004.
2005 Lexus GS: Lexus' midrange sedans are little-changed for 2005. New-design '06 models are expected by summer '05.
Consumer Guide Auto

I researched the crap out of the internet when I was buying my car and thought this site was really resourceful.
Old 02-25-08, 10:44 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Consumer Guide Auto

...2002 Lexus GS: For 2002, the navigation system got revisions including multiroute calculation, simplified graphics, and route preview, along with a faster computer and the ability to play DVD movies on its dashboard screen....

I researched the crap out of the internet when I was buying my car and thought this site was really resourceful.

.........how do i make it do this without add-on's?
Old 02-25-08, 03:36 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yep my car does not have heated seats. I have a 2000 Gs400 it come with yellow fogs, auto leveling hids, but no heated seats. the car was originally a Cali vehicle.
Old 02-25-08, 05:03 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my heated seats...just wish they wouldn't cut off at 70F. Anybody figure out a work-around?
Old 02-25-08, 06:46 PM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can just call 1800-25-LEXUS, give the as many Vin# as you wish and they will tell you exactly what options it comes with.
Old 02-25-08, 06:52 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

thx. for the number that is just what i needed, although i already found out. it has heated seats and hid yipee!!!. also lexus told me mostly all cars from midwest on west dont have heated seats.

Quick Reply: Decoding Vin # for options