GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Owner - inportant ticking question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 02:28 PM
shomann
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Owner - inportant ticking question.

So, I found a 2002 GS430 Slv/Blk in very good shape - so I officially became a Lexus owner about 3 hours ago.

The car is in good shape, a few little things here and there like paint chips, a cracked tail light, and such. The car has 93k and feels like it drives great to me. The big question for me is that I hear a bit of a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. It raises and lowers with engine revs. The fuel economy and performance both seem good.

Now I have seen several threads on here about similar phantom noises. I take it the worse case scenario is the lifters, the best dirty injectors, with the 90k water pump/timing belt service being a close second (because I need to do it anyway).

So, how dangerous is it drive it say a few hundred miles (back home) so I can get the maintainence out of the way and hopefully solve the problem?

Thanks!

(Pics to follow)
Old 02-25-08, 02:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Lifters an injectors are the most common culprits of ticking noise. Add fuel injector cleaner to your gas tank. I recommend Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner; running a more concentrated solution than what Lucas recommends.

Also grab a bottle of Amsoil Engine Flush. Should cost less than $10, and it's great for removing sludge and buildups.
Old 02-25-08, 05:08 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the oil level, and if you can, have it changed. See if that helps.
Old 02-25-08, 08:01 PM
shomann
Rookie

Oil level is fine and the oil on the dipstick looks clean.

I will try the fuel cleaner along with a full fluid change-over as part of the 90k "spring cleaning".

I had the car inspected by the local Lexus dealer who recommended that the belts be replaced. Is it feasible that the ticking sound is coming from there? At idle the engine itself is fairly quiet (though not what I was thinking when you guys have said Lexus quiet).

The big question hasn't been answered, am I putting my new (used) car at risk by driving it 400 miles home?
Old 02-26-08, 05:25 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the same slight tick...if it is the lifters what can be done for that? I am also going to try a more concentrated dose of Lucas fuel treatment and the engine flush as GSteg suggests.
Old 02-26-08, 06:19 AM
NBart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it is the belt you will hear a squeeling noise. trust me I am currently dealing with that every morning. Did the dealer tell you anything else should be addressed other than the belts? seems to me that they should be the ones to know the most?????
Old 02-26-08, 06:36 AM
shomann
Rookie

Originally Posted by NBart
if it is the belt you will hear a squeeling noise. trust me I am currently dealing with that every morning. Did the dealer tell you anything else should be addressed other than the belts? seems to me that they should be the ones to know the most?????
The dealer only reported a problem with the transmission pan gasket (a seep, not leaking), the belt and the 90k service. It was a private party sale - I took it into Lexus for piece of mind.
  1. You hear it more when you rev the engine
  2. Can't hear it in the cabin
  3. I can't localize the sound to either side of the engine bay
  4. Oil looks fine, right amount
  5. Mileage/Power seem fine

Due to the fact I want to take this car on a long trip in a few weeks I think am going to my local dealer (not the ones that inspected the car yesterday) to see what they say - I need the 90k service done regardless.

Anyone know what re-shiming the lifters costs?
Old 02-26-08, 08:00 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My 98 GS4 ticks at idle.. my 00 4.7L tundra ticked from the day I got it with 6miles on it. I think they just tick.. be it lifters.. injectors ... I think the injectors are just loud.

BP
Old 02-26-08, 11:22 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Injector ticking could be the noise. I personally wouldn't have a problem driving it 400 miles, if it was my own. My GS300 has 249,000 on it now, I bought it with 121,000 on it 4 years ago. DX3 drove his GS400 from California to Oklahoma when he bought it and took the scenic route...lol.
Old 02-26-08, 11:46 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

See if you can get your valves adjusted during the 90k service if they don't already do that.
Old 02-26-08, 05:38 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

WELCOME shomann
Old 02-26-08, 05:40 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
See if you can get your valves adjusted during the 90k service if they don't already do that.
What??? omg your kidding. Do you have any idea how hard it is to adjust the valves in a 1UZ or 2UZ Motor? I am not sure of the in-line 6 (300). I assume its head design is similar..

They do not adjust like a traditional valve... there are shims and it is a PITA. The cams have to come out....

I would doubt that the stealer would know how to do it.

let it tick. The valves will only loosen up... too tight(always open) will cause you to burn a valve.. loose will tick...

BP
Old 02-26-08, 06:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Amen to that! The valve clearance job on our cars are definition not a fun job to do. There is a time and place for a very accurate micrometer, now is one of them. Lexus has a whole chart of different shims to go with different measured shim thickness.

Unless someone has the money to pony up for a valve clearance job from the dealer, I would skip it.
Old 02-26-08, 07:02 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i also have the tick on my gs400. i think it is injectors.
Old 02-26-08, 07:34 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not too hard to change the shims on the 2JZ. I'd say the hardest part is having the right shims for the job. What I usually do is measure and calculate everything using a micrometer and feeler gauge. I try to rotate around as many shims as i can get away with. Usually I end up only needing to buy like 2-3 new ones. A few times when I was doing shims on a 2JZ I managed to rotate them around and get everything in spec!

Quick Reply: New Owner - inportant ticking question.