GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Got car and know Keyless remote :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 07:52 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo300
I don't see where I posted misinformation. A "non remote" master is still not a master key.
What's more important is whether or not the key is PROGRAMMED as a master (so that new keys can be programmed without spending over a thousand dollars for a new ECU and keys). The original poster has a "valet" key that is programmed as a master.

To the original poster: Go to the dealer and have them cut you a new master key with or without the remote (depending if you want one or not ). Tell them you are going to program it yourself if they are going to charge you for the programming part. Do a search in the 2GS forums for the programming instructions. There are two programming instructions, one for the key and one for the remote part of the key.

For anyone else who does not have a master programmed key, I suggest you find a locksmith who can reflash the ECU. 2 locksmiths quoted me for $600, but instead I took out the ECU myself and brought it to one of them. It cost me $145 total w/3 new cut keys and the cutting of a remote key I bought from ebay.

Things to note: ECU reflashing for new keys is basically done by ERASING (or "zeroing" out) the particular CMOS chip on the circuit board. Once reinstalled in the car, the car will ask for three keys to be programmed as masters. You simply insert key 1 into the ignition (without turning) and take it out, insert key 2 and take it out, and insert key 3 and take it out.

Last edited by tnbigdawg; 03-02-08 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 09:13 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tnbigdawg
What's more important is whether or not the key is PROGRAMMED as a master (so that new keys can be programmed without spending over a thousand dollars for a new ECU and keys). The original poster has a "valet" key that is programmed as a master.

To the original poster: Go to the dealer and have them cut you a new master key with or without the remote (depending if you want one or not ). Tell them you are going to program it yourself if they are going to charge you for the programming part. Do a search in the 2GS forums for the programming instructions. There are two programming instructions, one for the key and one for the remote part of the key.

For anyone else who does not have a master programmed key, I suggest you find a locksmith who can reflash the ECU. 2 locksmiths quoted me for $600, but instead I took out the ECU myself and brought it to one of them. It cost me $145 total w/3 new cut keys and the cutting of a remote key I bought from ebay.

Things to note: ECU reflashing for new keys is basically done by ERASING (or "zeroing" out) the particular CMOS chip on the circuit board. Once reinstalled in the car, the car will ask for three keys to be programmed as masters. You simply insert key 1 into the ignition (without turning) and take it out, insert key 2 and take it out, and insert key 3 and take it out.
Originally Posted by xhackr
That is exactly what you posted as incorrect.

pitmanr200, please see excluesive’s post - it is correct.

Let me try to say it a little different. Putting aside the remote part as that has absolutely nothing to do whether a key is a master or not, keys have two different key blanks - a valet and “master”, however either key’s transponder can be programmed as a master. The type of blank determines if the key can open the glove box and the valet lock. The type of programming determines whether the key can program another key.

You are correct - if there is no delay in the security light, the key is programmed as a master. You have a valet blank that was programmed as a master. Good news for you – you can buy another key, remote or not, and program it. If you need those instructions or instructions for programming the remote, let me know. Those instructions will show you how to program the key as a master or a sub-key.
i agree with both posts. great write ups guys...

i was once an owner w/ a non remote master. dealer tried to hijack me and say i need an a new ECU, and the whole nine yards, and that i should set aside about a grand for it and the 2 master keys... good thing i had done a little research before hand and didn't hand over my key. they then made me angry when they wouldn't test the key after me asking three times to just make sure it wasn't a master. live and learn, but those who are informed will save some $$