GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Got car and know Keyless remote :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-08, 10:46 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got car and know Keyless remote :(

Well i just picked up my gs400 and have joined the lexus gs gang. I love it except for a few minor things that I can fix. It only came with a generic key like the vallet. no keyless. I was wandering if I can just buy a key from ebay that they sale for like 80bucks and program it and get it cut. I dont have the master key.
Old 03-01-08, 11:16 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

correction i beleive i have a master key, it just doesnt have remote. I read online if you insert key in ignition and security light goes off imediatly which it does then its a master. the only wierd thing is it wont open trunk or glovebox.
Old 03-01-08, 11:55 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it to Lexus and see if the key is a master , also see if they can program it for you ..

Sounds as if you have a valet only
Old 03-01-08, 11:58 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

well this sight that reflashes ecu's for these cars says that it is a master being the security light goes off immediatly after insertion of key in ignition. Can someone verify this with there master and valet key. see if light does something different. says with valey key it will take a couple seconds after insertion for security light to go off.
Old 03-02-08, 07:13 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
well this sight that reflashes ecu's for these cars says that it is a master being the security light goes off immediatly after insertion of key in ignition. Can someone verify this with there master and valet key. see if light does something different. says with valey key it will take a couple seconds after insertion for security light to go off.
Either post a picture of the key, or go to a dealership to confirm. If it doesn't have three buttons on the opposite side of the L emblem, then it's not a master.
Old 03-02-08, 07:28 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure that the valet key can be programmed to be a master key. I do not think that your rule of the three buttons is legit.

Anyone know for certain?

BP
Old 03-02-08, 10:00 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I NEED A KEY TOO...mine died...well..not actually, but its broken in half. Besides paying 300 bucks at the dealer is there another way to get a new one?

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-08, 10:50 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRD911
I am pretty sure that the valet key can be programmed to be a master key. I do not think that your rule of the three buttons is legit.

Anyone know for certain?

BP
Well exactly what can it be programmed to do?
Old 03-02-08, 10:53 AM
CLEV
Driver

well guys theres a very reliable vendor here on cl i lost my master and the dealer told me i would need a new ecu and key quoted me at 2250 before taxes until another member put me on to aliga saved me alot for ecu reflaseh and two masters pm him i garantee he'll clear up your problems
Old 03-02-08, 12:02 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo300
Either post a picture of the key, or go to a dealership to confirm. If it doesn't have three buttons on the opposite side of the L emblem, then it's not a master.
try not to post incorrect information next time

Originally Posted by TRD911

Anyone know for certain?

BP
a "valet" key is cut differently and if it actually a real valet key (the term is used very loosely for those who do not have non-remote master keys) it wont be able to open the trunk or glove box with the addition of the security light no going out right away.

Originally Posted by sockfocks
I NEED A KEY TOO...mine died...well..not actually, but its broken in half. Besides paying 300 bucks at the dealer is there another way to get a new one?
yes there is....

Well exactly what can it be programmed to do?
a non remote master, is just that, a master key minus the remote. it can still program keys, unlock the trunk, and unlock the glove box

i had a great experience w/ tami at toy-lex.com she appears to have been a sponsor here at one point. or you can check out one of the forum sponsors (carson i know has the for less than 300 (a lot less) offhand)

as for the security light going out and you not being able to open the trunk/glove box... check the key out for a second. if u look at the side of the blade, it will either be flat or grooved. The master will have a grove on the thin edge, while the valet key will be flat (another member showed me this as a matter of fact!). Your "valet" key may not be cut as a master but programmed in as one.

(mods, i am in no way affiliated with any website or anything)

-chris
Old 03-02-08, 02:32 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by excluesive

a "valet" key is cut differently and if it actually a real valet key (the term is used very loosely for those who do not have non-remote master keys) it wont be able to open the trunk or glove box with the addition of the security light no going out right away.

yes there is....

a non remote master, is just that, a master key minus the remote. it can still program keys, unlock the trunk, and unlock the glove box

i had a great experience w/ tami at toy-lex.com she appears to have been a sponsor here at one point. or you can check out one of the forum sponsors (carson i know has the for less than 300 (a lot less) offhand)

as for the security light going out and you not being able to open the trunk/glove box... check the key out for a second. if u look at the side of the blade, it will either be flat or grooved. The master will have a grove on the thin edge, while the valet key will be flat (another member showed me this as a matter of fact!). Your "valet" key may not be cut as a master but programmed in as one.

-chris
I don't see where I posted misinformation. A "non remote" master is still not a master key.
Old 03-02-08, 03:55 PM
skaiyun
Driver

It's possible, but what is the chances of getting a non-remote master.. I see both points as valid.
Old 03-02-08, 04:33 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by excluesive

yes there is....

-chris

thx for all the info. you know your lexus. Ok it wont open trunk or glove box. But i beleive it is programmed as master. Being the light goes right out. also i found how to program one and did the gas and break trick and the security light started flashing waiting for new key to program. does that sound like a master and if so. how can i get an new remote key cut to be master and open truck. i know how to program it, but have no key to cut from.
Old 03-02-08, 05:45 PM
CLEV
Driver

i told you you should contact aliga if you dont have a key to cut from and you do not have a card key and obviously you dont you can get your key code from your passenger side door key cylinder your key codes are engraved on them just pm the guy and get your problems over with oh and when i received my master keys he also gave me the instructions on the programming process youll thank me later

Last edited by CLEV; 03-02-08 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 06:26 PM
xhackr
Rookie

I don't see where I posted misinformation. A "non remote" master is still not a master key.
That is exactly what you posted as incorrect.

pitmanr200, please see excluesive’s post - it is correct.

Let me try to say it a little different. Putting aside the remote part as that has absolutely nothing to do whether a key is a master or not, keys have two different key blanks - a valet and “master”, however either key’s transponder can be programmed as a master. The type of blank determines if the key can open the glove box and the valet lock. The type of programming determines whether the key can program another key.

You are correct - if there is no delay in the security light, the key is programmed as a master. You have a valet blank that was programmed as a master. Good news for you – you can buy another key, remote or not, and program it. If you need those instructions or instructions for programming the remote, let me know. Those instructions will show you how to program the key as a master or a sub-key.

Quick Reply: Got car and know Keyless remote :(