GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Full Throttle = white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 01:52 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Throttle = white smoke

My car likes to blow white smoke whenever i get on it. its not real bad but its noticable in my rear view mirror. what could cause this? also my car seems to be burning oil. theres no leaks or anything in my driveway. sorry im a lexus novice. any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-08, 02:30 PM
NBart
Pole Position

You probably need to get you intake gaskets replaced. sounds like you are getting oil into the cylinder/s and that is producing the white smoke. This happened to me on another car and I was not cheap to fix.
Old 03-10-08, 05:00 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not think that the 1UZ or the inline 6 manifold that keeps oil and the air fuel side separated. I think your looking at a lower end problem with the rings. Remember that our engines are an overhead cam design and not the traditional cam and push rod type engine. Anyone correct me with a pic would be great

How many miles are on your car?
Have you always owned it?
What kind of oil are you using?

If you are seeing smoke at the back that is bad. Normally the catalytic converters can burn off small amounts oil that gets to them if your getting smoke that means a lot of oil is getting past.

Let us know what you find.

BP
Old 03-10-08, 05:35 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

From basic mechanics class, blue=some kind of oil, white=water/coolant, black=fuel. Probably wise to go with obvious and think it's water/coolant first.

Of course these are standard answers and what you are observing might be more complex Your eyes might be fooled and it's really a bluish white, or whatever fluid is burning might have enough water content in it to make the smoke mostly "water" colored as a diagnosis.
You mentioned 2 other other clues that you're noticed: burning oil and it's happening under throttle, so probably it's burning oil.

As a self-described novice, I suggest that you just taking your car to a trusted mechanic and let them find out the problem for sure for you (and fix it of course!) as smoke coming out probably is not a DIY job. Although I understand people are just trying to help, the mechanic who actually has the car in his hands is going to be the one who can best tell you what happened (and fix it) over any forum internet diagnosis.

Last edited by raytseng; 03-10-08 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 05:43 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my car does the same thing, but it does not burn any oil

Old 03-10-08, 06:21 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

would the cam seals have anything to do with this? i know those need to be changed.
Old 03-10-08, 06:51 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

any of you lexus techs out got any input?
Old 03-10-08, 10:14 PM
VM 2
Pole Position

cam seals would just leak out of the front of the motor. trust me i know from experience. lol
Old 03-11-08, 10:47 AM
j_version_
Pole Position

well kiddies. i know what the most likely problem is. drum roll please.................................piston rings! yay me!. since i cant afford an engine rebuild to fix the piston rings im thinkin of selling it and getting a another one or possibly a gs4 if the price is right.
Old 03-11-08, 04:00 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you know this? have you checked your oil for gas smell, oil fouled spark plugs? Bring it to someone who has a first hand look at it. We are no help, because if it was your piston rings it would be blue smoke, if oil is burning at Wide open throttle, and if blue smoke comes after you let off gas, it is most likely valve seals. White smoke is coolant, piston rings don't touch coolant, and if you have coolant in your engine, it's most liekly a head gasket.
Old 03-12-08, 10:57 AM
j_version_
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
How do you know this? have you checked your oil for gas smell, oil fouled spark plugs? Bring it to someone who has a first hand look at it. We are no help, because if it was your piston rings it would be blue smoke, if oil is burning at Wide open throttle, and if blue smoke comes after you let off gas, it is most likely valve seals. White smoke is coolant, piston rings don't touch coolant, and if you have coolant in your engine, it's most liekly a head gasket.
its really more a blue and black smoke mix.
Old 03-12-08, 11:20 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're getting rid of the GS for cheap. I'll be interested. I have a nearly new spare engine sitting in my garage waiting to go into a car
Old 03-12-08, 11:46 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please, if anyone deserves it it should be Jeff. But how much are you willing to part with your 2000 GS300?
Old 03-12-08, 12:09 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Rings sound shot. Thats an expensive fix. Coolant leak would be at all throttle positions.
Old 03-13-08, 10:05 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
If you're getting rid of the GS for cheap. I'll be interested. I have a nearly new spare engine sitting in my garage waiting to go into a car
Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Please, if anyone deserves it it should be Jeff. But how much are you willing to part with your 2000 GS300?
Originally Posted by sockfocks
Rings sound shot. Thats an expensive fix. Coolant leak would be at all throttle positions.
Ive decided im gonna keep it. might as well ive fixed everything else on it. i dont want to buy another gs and have to start over again. but jeff. theres a gs 400 here in town for 9500. lol

Quick Reply: Full Throttle = white smoke