GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Moonroof rattle (not the usual one) with PIX -- help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 02:57 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey Karl. It's been a while. Hope all is well.

Where would you put the grease? I took a closer look at the operation of what I thought was the hinge, but it's actually not a hinge. It's a sliding lever that tilts the moonroof up as it slides forward towards the front of the car, and allows the moonroof to come down as it moves backwards. I guess I could grease that piece on each side. But I'm not familiar with computer thermal grease. What is it and where can I get it?
hmmm...i guess u can do that, grease that piece on each side. when i get a chance today i'll take a look at my car to see exactly. but in terms of getting the grease, any computer store, like fry's should sell it. it usually comes in a syringe type of dispenser for a few bucks. i use the white kind.
Old 03-12-08, 08:49 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
hmmm...i guess u can do that, grease that piece on each side. when i get a chance today i'll take a look at my car to see exactly. but in terms of getting the grease, any computer store, like fry's should sell it. it usually comes in a syringe type of dispenser for a few bucks. i use the white kind.
Thanks, Karl. I'll check out the local computer store. The fact that it comes in a syringe sounds great (so you can apply it more precisely).

I took a closer look at that piece. It basically slides laterally forward along a rail, and as it moves forward, the front of the piece (which is attached to the moonroof with the screw shown in the picture) moves upward as it pushes up the moonroof. It's kind of hard to explain, but you'll see what I'm talking about it if you watch a few cycles.

BCP -- the tires have been great in the snow (and we've had a ton of it this winter). The only thing that I'm slightly disappointed about is the ride harshness. I seem to be feeling every bump in the road. The tires are filled to 32 psi, so that can't be the problem. I keep wondering if it made a difference that the tires were a year old when Tire Rack sold them to us. I guess we'll never know. The 17s go back on the car for the spring/summer/fall in a few weeks, so I'll be putting the 3Ds away for a while. Oh, and by the way, I just got my rebate on Monday of this week. I mailed it in on November 15. That's completely ridiculous that it took 4 months.

e
Old 03-12-08, 09:45 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had mine fix at the dealer. all they did was put stuff on each side of the sunroof visor. they seem to sit about 2 inchs alway from the closeing gap.

what happen is when i go to slide my sunroof visor i hit a stop point, 2 inch before closeing. all i had to do was slide it a little bit hard, feels like going over a speedbump. than slide and close.

what that bump actuall do is give it a cussion between the visor and keep things in place from rattle out and causeing that annoying noise!

Hope that help and give you guys an idea on a fix of your own.
Old 03-15-08, 03:15 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Karl and others . . .

Greasie no workie. I went out to the hardware store and bought a tube of white grease. I tilted the roof up and put some grease on that sliding lever hinging part. I used a toothpick to make sure that the grease got into the hard to reach places. I also tilted the roof up and down a few times to spread it all around. When I push up on the roof, I'm still getting that metal on metal or metal on plastic click, and that's the exact noise I hear when I go over bumps.

If anyone has a chance, while your in your car with the roof closed, push up on the roof and tell me what you hear. It should move up about 1/8 of an inch or so. While you're pushing up, see if you can figure out what's preventing it from going up higher (in other words, what's the locking mechanism that keeps you from pushing it up). Whatever is preventing it from going up is what I need to grease. I think it's that sliding lever part, but I'm not completely sure.
Old 03-15-08, 05:50 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

haha, i got the same problem. my quick temp fix was sliding the sun shade part forward a bit. it seemed to put pressure on the squeaking.
Old 07-20-09, 09:45 PM
istgary
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread hasn't had any action in awhile, but I thought I would share my moonroof rattle issue and how I fixed it. I have a 2001 GS300. My moonroof rattle seems to be different than any others I found on this forum. My rattle came from the plastic, spring-loaded front piece (whatever its name is). When the moonroof was tilted, it would not rattle. When it was closed, it would, mainly on uneven pavement. I used to shove an old CD in there to quiet it down. I finally got around to trying to fix it, and what I found when I got up there was that the little piece of felt that was glued to the middle of the plastic had come off and was just sitting there inside the roof. I cleaned the dried-up glue with rubbing alcohol, scratched off some of the dried glue on the piece of felt and Super-glued it back on. I am rattle-free!

From what I've read in this forum, it sounds like some of the previous years did not come with the felt/foam factory fix? I would imagine one could fashion their own solution and glue it up there in the appropriate places.