GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Will this cover the holes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 05:15 PM
dysLEXic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this cover the holes...

on my trunk? I was going to purchase this lip wing but I'm afraid it might not cover the holes on my trunk. Does anyone have this same style?? its a knock off that i am getting, so im not shure what the name is.
I have been driving all winter with my holes taped and its rusting real bad. Now that spring is around the corner, it will be easier for me to install and have it painted as soon as i can find the perfect fit. I cant believe my '03 is rusting already!!

i think im going to rename Lexxi to Rusty. haha

this is how far the holes are frm the edge of the trunk.. do u guys think the lip wing will cover enough of it??? i dont want to move the wing too far up frm the edge of the trunk, or else its going to look supper dumb.

oh and to those that are wondering why wont i reinstall my stock wing? long story short (read my threads), some dumb butt drilled holes in the wrong spot so the wing didnt really fit onto my trunk.

..... man im just having the WORST luck EVER with the exterior part of my car. it makes me not want to do anything to it!
Old 03-11-08, 08:03 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Yea he did mess up bad. I see the 3 holes. There's a thread on here about spoilers about which ones cover the holes and which ones don't. Can't find it right now. Ok, I'm lying, I'm just too lazy to find it again.

Hell, if it doesn't fit, why don't you just move it back so that it does? The GS trunk is mad short anyway, don't think it'd make it look THAT weird. Haven't seen it so I dunno.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-08, 08:11 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would look for a used trunk in the same color before I tried that wing. Contact Aliga
Old 03-11-08, 08:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by TLW
I would look for a used trunk in the same color before I tried that wing. Contact Aliga
I'm with TLW.... get a trunk lid w/o spoiler in the same color if you can find it, or get a used one a different color and get it painted.
Old 03-11-08, 09:51 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Why? It's unnecessary for her to dish out the extra cash if she can just patch up the one she has.

However, if she's got the extra dough to spend and will not miss it, why not?
Old 03-11-08, 11:23 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

by the looks of the spoiler and also my experience with lip spoilers and their sizes, I dont think that one will cover the holes. Even if it did cover the holes I would not install it.

It's kind of like having a broken window in your house, instead of fixing it-you just pull down the blinds

Old 03-11-08, 11:33 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just have a bodyshop to do the job.
Old 03-12-08, 09:00 PM
dysLEXic
Driver

Originally Posted by kenkaniff
Why? It's unnecessary for her to dish out the extra cash if she can just patch up the one she has.

However, if she's got the extra dough to spend and will not miss it, why not?
ive looked around and do u know HOW hard it is to find a trunk for an 03? plus my tail lights are diff from all the 98 trunks that i have found, and the trunk lids come with the tail lights so i have to pay extra for that. and for the paint and new trunk, i have to fork up $1200!!! i have gone to so many places and thats what they said. i dont want to bondo/weld the trunk cus everyone says the rust will come back and i would have to fork up $600 do do that and paint it..

So my last resort was the wing and thats the widest one i could find to cover the holes on trunk. i have tried putting the wing back on, but i cant bc the holes are in the wrong place and i would have to put more holes in trunk to fit wing...
Old 03-12-08, 09:15 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dysLEXic
ive looked around and do u know HOW hard it is to find a trunk for an 03? plus my tail lights are diff from all the 98 trunks that i have found, and the trunk lids come with the tail lights so i have to pay extra for that. and for the paint and new trunk, i have to fork up $1200!!! i have gone to so many places and thats what they said. i dont want to bondo/weld the trunk cus everyone says the rust will come back and i would have to fork up $600 do do that and paint it..

So my last resort was the wing and thats the widest one i could find to cover the holes on trunk. i have tried putting the wing back on, but i cant bc the holes are in the wrong place and i would have to put more holes in trunk to fit wing...
okay, about the taillights, trunklids do not come with tail lights, if someone stated that to you..there trying to screw you!!! Not cool.

I think you would have better luck trading your trunk lid when you put your old spoiler on....even though it doesnt fit right.

I dont think anyone would trade with you, just becasue of the holes.....
Old 03-12-08, 09:21 PM
dysLEXic
Driver

Originally Posted by Lettuce
okay, about the taillights, trunklids do not come with tail lights, if someone stated that to you..there trying to screw you!!! Not cool.

I think you would have better luck trading your trunk lid when you put your old spoiler on....even though it doesnt fit right.

I dont think anyone would trade with you, just becasue of the holes.....
YUP! i called around and tried to deal down the trunk lids but the ppl said no because it came with tail lights. my bf said they were prob trying to screw me over so he had called some places and they said the same thing-- it comes with the tail lights which is weird. yeah, i HIGHLY doubt NO ONE wants to trade trunk lids. lol.

i think im going to order the wing anyway. its only $150 and paint is another $100 or so.

WISH ME LUCK! And thanx for all the help and comments
Old 03-12-08, 10:43 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

No offense but that tech at the shop is an idiot
Hopefully he's paying for the damage-3 holes on the right and 2 on the left

I can't tell from your picture but it doesn't look like it'll cover the holes b/c bottom part where the spoiler sits looks too thin and the holes are too wide.

If you look at bottom part of the stock spoiler, it's pretty wide.

IF the stock spoiler still covers the holes, then I would have a shop weld a metal piece underneath those holes and re-install the spoiler......much cheaper

Oh, don't forget to back to the first mickey mouse and give him a gift