GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Would you buy a GS4 with 180k on it?
Yes
34.88%
NO.
65.12%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Looking at a GS4. need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 11:20 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a GS4. need opinions

i have a gs3 and the piston rings need replacing. didnt know that until yesterday ive only had the car 4 months. anyways. i found a 98 gs400 for 9500 with 185k. the interior is a little worn. its been lowered. it had 20s on it and it hit the fenders and chipped the paint a little bit. needs new steering wheel leather has been rubbed off. nav. would you buy a GS4 with that many miles on it?
Old 03-12-08, 11:27 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

A couple of years ago, my boss became crazed on getting a blue one. At the time there was only 2 on the east coast. One in NJ and one in FL. The one he bought in PA had 158K on it with 20s already on it and 5% tint. However, the car was also owned by the dealership owner's wife. So, with that being said, I'm sure that car was better maintained than the average person's car.

I'd just hate to see you jump from one bad situation to another. It might benefit you more to just fix the gs300. Or if you want, fix it, then sell it to buy a 400/430.

I know I haven't really made your decesion easy but just tried to give you an outside in perspective. Good luck and if you purchase a new one be sure to make a post showing us
Old 03-12-08, 11:35 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
A couple of years ago, my boss became crazed on getting a blue one. At the time there was only 2 on the east coast. One in NJ and one in FL. The one he bought in PA had 158K on it with 20s already on it and 5% tint. However, the car was also owned by the dealership owner's wife. So, with that being said, I'm sure that car was better maintained than the average person's car.

I'd just hate to see you jump from one bad situation to another. It might benefit you more to just fix the gs300. Or if you want, fix it, then sell it to buy a 400/430.

I know I haven't really made your decesion easy but just tried to give you an outside in perspective. Good luck and if you purchase a new one be sure to make a post showing us
thanks for your input. ive considered it. the interior on my gs3 is perfect. it just needs a paint job but i cant really afford to tear down the motor to replace piston rings
Old 03-13-08, 12:56 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I tend to agree with Ripp. While your current situation looks bleak, you're probably better off either tearing down your existing engine for the piston job or continuing your search for another GS. The lead you have now sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

Do you have a budget you're working with? I imagine one of the group will have some suggestions and/or might even have a vehicle they might part with that's going to be in much better shape than the one you're pursuing.

Good luck!
Old 03-14-08, 12:22 AM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NADA says $9,800 for the car, in fair shape. With the previous mods and damage I would negotiate further down. I would love to have a project car as such.

But seeing that you don't have the time or the money to put into the GS300 to get the rings fixed, then you wouldn't be able to do the same for the GS400. At that mileage, you are probably looking into some suspension work, a timing belt, lower ball joints and upper A arms; among other things. I say move on and find something newer that won't give you much trouble.

If you decide to work with what you got, here is a USA based importer of whom I have heard good things about: http://www.jhotimports.com/
Old 03-14-08, 02:57 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think its a good idea. Unless you can find a GS4 thats in good condition. Otherwise you'll be back in the exact same situation or worse. And the V8 is much more expensive to rebuild than the i6.
Old 03-14-08, 10:46 AM
j_version_
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipicanez
NADA says $9,800 for the car, in fair shape. With the previous mods and damage I would negotiate further down. I would love to have a project car as such.

But seeing that you don't have the time or the money to put into the GS300 to get the rings fixed, then you wouldn't be able to do the same for the GS400. At that mileage, you are probably looking into some suspension work, a timing belt, lower ball joints and upper A arms; among other things. I say move on and find something newer that won't give you much trouble.

If you decide to work with what you got, here is a USA based importer of whom I have heard good things about: http://www.jhotimports.com/
Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I don't think its a good idea. Unless you can find a GS4 thats in good condition. Otherwise you'll be back in the exact same situation or worse. And the V8 is much more expensive to rebuild than the i6.
i talked to the guy earlier today and im going to look at it. he says the timing belt and lower ball joints have been changed. i still want to check it out and drive it. if anything i just wanna play with the nav system lol.
Old 03-14-08, 01:27 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a '98 GS400 with 106K miles on it at the end of the Summer.

It needed new tires, new brake pads, a tiresome detail job, a new starter (which I replaced at home, man that sucked..)

but that's only with 106K miles... and I've seen used GS4s in waaaay crappier condition. For some reason GSes seem to be driven hard or have a lot of wear and tear.
Old 03-14-08, 02:10 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whoster
I picked up a '98 GS400 with 106K miles on it at the end of the Summer.

It needed new tires, new brake pads, a tiresome detail job, a new starter (which I replaced at home, man that sucked..)

but that's only with 106K miles... and I've seen used GS4s in waaaay crappier condition. For some reason GSes seem to be driven hard or have a lot of wear and tear.
i just test drove a gs4 today. I LOVE 400!!! it needed to be detailed and washed bad! and it needed tranny mounts. other than that it was a smooth ride. i like the tighter steering and the sound of that v8 was amazing with the exhaust. im hooked
Old 03-14-08, 04:41 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to Lexus ;] The pursuit of perfection... Perfected
Old 03-16-08, 02:38 PM
perrychad
Driver

i say def. buy a 400 just not that one. you can find 400s at that price pretty easy. 180k is alot of miles. and if the person that owns/owned it drives like i drive my 400 you would be better of finding another one. just my 2 cents. i will give you 500.00 for the 300.
Old 03-16-08, 09:24 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

Originally Posted by perrychad
i say def. buy a 400 just not that one. you can find 400s at that price pretty easy. 180k is alot of miles. and if the person that owns/owned it drives like i drive my 400 you would be better of finding another one. just my 2 cents. i will give you 500.00 for the 300.
$500!?!?! DEAL!!!!!!!! can you feel the sarcasm? lol
Old 03-17-08, 03:35 PM
con40
Driver School Candidate

i would defintley try to lower the price I just got my gs400 about 2 weeks ago for only $10500 and it only had 88k miles on it.
Old 03-17-08, 03:38 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

they guy said hed sell it to me for 8000. but i would still have to sell my gs3 to get it
Old 03-23-08, 05:16 AM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

I wouldnt pay more than $7K for that car since others with around 100K miles can be purchased for around 11K.

Miles dont seem to affect these cars like others, but miles still devalue the car. So I wouldnt worry about 180K miles but make sure you dont overpay.

Quick Reply: Looking at a GS4. need opinions