GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Creaking noise behind the HVAC/Radio area(even w/car off!?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 10:14 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Creaking noise behind the HVAC/Radio area(even w/car off!?)

Well, I guess It was time to have my first problem with the 01 GS430. I did a search on this and did not come up with any definitive answers.
Today when I turned the car on a creaking noise(like a small electirc motor running, but catching on something) started behind the two middle vents above the radio/hvac buttons.
I thought it was a "mode button" problem when you switch from "feet" to "defrost/feet", etc. So I played with the mode switch a little bit, but to no avail. When I got to work, I turned the car off and turned the key back to "on" position(the one past the "acc" position) and all the dummy lights and gauges came on and low and behold the noise came back on too!? [now this is without starting the engine].
I openned the glove compartment to see if it's the CD changer magazine, but it was not even in the changer(tested the CD operation and it's fine and smooth). When approaching my ear to the hvac area, it sounds like it's behind it.
This evening in the garage, popped the top part above the radio out, and well, there's no moving parts making that "little electric motor running-like it's trying to do something and quit, but something is in it's way..." sound.
Has anyone had this issue?
BTW, it's not the common "gurgling" sound that's heater core related.{just thought I mention that**.

..........please help...........
Old 03-17-08, 12:12 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Senior Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm guessing thats the outside/recirculate door opening and closing. Try and press that button, and see if the same sound is replicated.
Old 03-17-08, 12:51 AM
Geezy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i be hearing some type of sound around that area also..i be thinking its some bug stuck or something haha
Old 03-17-08, 01:25 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hear it too--

i just figure it's the car getting ready to go. It's always made that noise if the key is turned (not the engine)
Old 03-17-08, 05:50 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup I hear it too and it drives me crazy, but theres really nothing we can do, check this thread out ...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...Brake+actuator
Old 03-17-08, 07:39 AM
DallasLex
Advanced

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Yup I hear it too and it drives me crazy, but theres really nothing we can do, check this thread out ...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...Brake+actuator
Yea it's really annoying, and yes it happens ALL the time, not just when I start the car ... When I first heard it I thought the cd changer was going crazy but then realized it wasn't that, after a couple months I learned to ignore it ...
I guess if it's not detrimental to the normal operation of the car and doesn't hurt anything, I'm going to have to live with it too.

Has anyone taken their's to the dealer and asked what the noise was?
Old 03-17-08, 10:25 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I'm guessing thats the outside/recirculate door opening and closing. Try and press that button, and see if the same sound is replicated.
GRAND_LS 4, you are a grand genius! Today I pressed that button, and low and behold the creak stopped. Man I don't know what I would do without you guys!

BTW, I owe you a beer... make that a couple!
Old 03-18-08, 10:24 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is the device the seals the car from air outside. If you turn your car off and sit in the cabin for a little bit you will be able to hear it. It keeps out odors and bugs from outside getting into the car -Joe
Old 03-18-08, 06:53 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Senior Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasLex
GRAND_LS 4, you are a grand genius! Today I pressed that button, and low and behold the creak stopped. Man I don't know what I would do without you guys!

BTW, I owe you a beer... make that a couple!

Glad to be of some help

Its somewhat frustrating to think you have a problem with your car, when you are not.

Looks like I may just head out to Dallas sometime