GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Piggy Back ECU for GS300 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 06:43 AM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Piggy Back ECU for GS300 questions.

After doing some research, I have decided that I would like to install a piggy back computer to control the A/F ratio.

However, I am not sure about a few things. Which works best with GS300?
I am looking at the SAFC-2 from Apexi and the Neo.

I'd like to get this only for the purpose of gas optimization. I feel that my GS is running very rich.

For those that have already installed an additional computer, is your CEL always on? Is there a way for it not to be triggered by the additional computer?

Thanks for your help guys, I love these forums.
-Gennady
Old 03-17-08, 09:31 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

There won't be any difference between the neo and the safc II. They are the same except for the neo is the latest safc so it has a color screen and looks fancier. The engine does run rich from the factory so with the safc alone you should see about 10rwhp/tq. Throw in some supporting intake and exhaust mods and you will see even bigger gains. Since it's a piggyback, you won't see a CEL unless it is installed wrong.

Last edited by mex lex; 03-17-08 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
imsosleepy (11-25-23)
Old 03-17-08, 10:32 AM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
There won't be any difference between the neo and the safc II. They are the same except for the neo is the latest safc so it has a color screen and looks fancier. The engine does run rich from the factory so with the safc alone you should see about 10rwhp/tq. Throw in some supporting intake and exhaust mods and you will see even bigger gains. Since it's a piggyback, you won't see a CEL unless it is installed wrong.
Great. What about the setup process? I am assuming that it needs to be configured to work correctly? Would this involve a Dyno?

The purpose of all this is to lean out the engine from eating too much gas. My car does not show any CEL nor give out any codes but it runs rich. Rich enough to be at the level of the SUV mpg.

Im worried about messing with the intake/exhaust. I did it on my Maxima 2000 SE. Yeah it was a lot faster but it also ended up eating more gas.
Old 03-17-08, 11:25 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Yes, you will need to have it dyno tuned. Fortunately, these units are very easy to use and if you go to a reputable tuner, it should take about 30 min if everything goes smooth, to an hour tops. What are you looking to accomplish? Are you looking for performance or gas mileage?

Intake and exhaust usually will help with gas mileage, however, it is hard to resist flooring the gas pedal to hear the exhaust. Therefore, people usually get worse mileage. Other than that, if you control your right foot, you shouldn't be getting worse gas mileage.
Old 03-17-08, 12:11 PM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
Yes, you will need to have it dyno tuned. Fortunately, these units are very easy to use and if you go to a reputable tuner, it should take about 30 min if everything goes smooth, to an hour tops. What are you looking to accomplish? Are you looking for performance or gas mileage?

Intake and exhaust usually will help with gas mileage, however, it is hard to resist flooring the gas pedal to hear the exhaust. Therefore, people usually get worse mileage. Other than that, if you control your right foot, you shouldn't be getting worse gas mileage.
Thanks for answering my questions. I think I will do that, get an SAFC-2 unit and have it dynoed and set up. Are there any sections on club Lexus for recommended shops? (remembering from the maxima.org days)
Old 03-17-08, 04:27 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Check in at the NELOC section of the forum. They'll point you in the right direction.