GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Timming Belt Just Replaced (wierd Engine Noise Now)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 08:36 PM
918STEVEW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timming Belt Just Replaced (wierd Engine Noise Now)

I HAVE A 01 GS430 AND Just Finished Putting On My New Timming Belt And Water Pump And The Tensioner And Idler Pulley. All Marks Were On The Money After Checking Several Times Rotating The Motor Over By Hand. Got Motor Put Back Together And Started It And I Now Have A Wierd Noise That I Cant Figure Out! It Sounds Like Something Is Rubbing Or Growling Inside The Motor. I Pulled The Surpentine Belt Off And Still Have The Same Noise. There Is Slight Vibration In The Steering Wheel And It Get Worse When You Put The Car In Gear. I Cant Think Of What Could Possibly Be Making This Happen. Car Was Smooth As Silk Before I Did The Belt Replacement ,,, I Also Changed The Plugs At The Same Time ,, I Used Bosch Irridum Plus ,,,,,,, Any Help Or Ideas Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Last edited by 918STEVEW; 03-22-08 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-20-08, 12:46 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the car throwing any codes? Put the other sparkplugs back in. See if that corrects it. If not, then it may be the timing.
Old 03-20-08, 08:05 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

x2 on the bosh spark plugs...
Old 03-20-08, 10:14 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea bosch is good for german cars only. swap your plugs for denso(Lexus OEM uses this), ngk, or torquemasters and see what happens.
Old 03-20-08, 02:10 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take the timing covers off and see if there is any belt material on in or around the timing pulley... etc..

Did you repace the cam and or crank seals?

BP
Old 03-20-08, 06:52 PM
918STEVEW
Driver School Candidate

Well I Tore Into Car Again Today To Check The Timming On My New Belt And Every Mark Is Dead On. I Put The Car Back Together And I Also Put Stock Plugs Back In And I Still Have A Growl That Is Coming In And Out So I Took The Surpentine Belt Off To See If It Was Still There And It Is !!!! Car Sounds Great Until You Drive It At Higher Rpms But The Sound Comes In And Out At Higher Rpms But Sounds Great Otherwise. Idle Is Smooth And Sounds Great. I Replaced The Belt , Water Pump , Idler , And Tensioner With Lexus Parts ,,,,,, Do You Think Its Possible That I Got A Bad Part? Because When The Serpentine Belt Is Off Meaning The Only Thing That Is Still Moving Is The Water Pump Idler And Tensioner ,, The Sound Is Still There. When I Tore It Down Today I Felt The Water Pump Idler And Tensioner And All Felt Smooth . Any Ideas On What I Should Do Next ???? Before I Replaced Old Parts Car Was Running Great And Sounded Great But After New Parts Were Back On This New Sound Started. I Dunno Most Of The Time Stuff Like This Doesnt Get The Best Of Me But This One Is!
Old 03-20-08, 08:07 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

I think what you hearing is your water pump cavitating.

I would take the radiator cap off, while cold and let it run... hopefully it will burp.. add more coolant and the noise will go away.

Did you replace the thermostat? If you did, did you point the bleed hole UP?

BP
Old 03-20-08, 08:51 PM
918STEVEW
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Trd911
I Will Try That Tomorrow And See What Happens. The Car Has Not Trown Any Codes And When I Inspected The Timming Belt There Was No Dust. I did not replace the thermostat. I Hope This Works Thanks. I Post Afterwords And Let You Know The Outcome. Thanks Again

Last edited by 918STEVEW; 03-20-08 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-21-08, 06:10 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Steve,

I have wondered about my advice... I hope I was helpful I am not trying to come across as a know it all.. I just cannot figure out a scenario that would explain what your seeing other than cavitation.

Please let me know what you find... I am a bit intrigued.

BP
Old 03-22-08, 09:46 AM
918STEVEW
Driver School Candidate

Bp
I Took The Car To Lexus Yesterday To Let There Top Master Tech Drive And Listen To The Sound , The Parts Manager Wanted To Go As Well. After Driving The Car The Teck Could Hear The Intermitten Growl And Grinding Noise Every Time He Got The Rpms Up And That Was The Only Time You Can Hear It And He Said That He Has Never In His 12 Years Heard This Noise! I Asked Him If I Could Have Gotten A Bad Idler , Water Pump Or Tensioner And He Said That It Was Very Unlikely. He Was Very Intrigued By The Sound, He Thinks That Something Is Rubbing Inside The Timming Housing ? I Will Pull The Car Back Apart Next Week To Try To Figure This Thing Out! Yesterday When I First Started Car It Had A Low Pitched Growl That Stopped After Warming Up , But The High Pitch Growl Was Still There. The High Pitch Growl Is Intermitten Meaning Louder Softer Longer Shorter! It Sounds To Me Like One Of My New Parts Is Bad But When I Tore Car Down The Second Time And Pulled The New Belt Off , I Felt The Pump , Tensioner And Idler And They All Felt Great But I Dont Know If You Can Tell Just By Spinning Them Because They Are Not Under A Load. Car Is Running Great Other Than This Wierd Noise !!! I Will Not Let This Car Beat Me !! I Will Figure It Out. If All Still Looks Well After Tear Down I Guess I Will Put My Old Parts Back On And See If It Is Still There And If Its Gone I Will Have To Figure Out One By One Witch One It Is !!!!! Lots Of Work But I Have No Choice. Thanks Again To All Inputs. I Did Try To Burp The Radiator And It Was Fine. Any Other Ideas Anybody Let Me Know ,,,,, Im Open For Sugestions. Car Has Not Thrown Any Codes Either.
Old 03-22-08, 11:43 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

hmm check your intake heatshield, I get that growl cuz the heatshield is cracked and it rattles against each other, I taped it up and its all quiet now. I also get the downpipe heatshield rattle as well, never thought lexus would have so many flimsy rattles.
Old 03-25-08, 08:23 PM
918STEVEW
Driver School Candidate

Im Going To Tear Motor Back Down Tomorrow For The Third Time and Try To Figure Out What Is Going On. I Started Car Today And Now I Hear I Low Pitch Growl At Idle Now As Well As The High Pitch Idle At Higher Rpms? After I Get Motor Apart If I Cant Find Any Signs Of A Possible Problem , I Am Going To Put The Old Water Pump, Idler And Tensioner Back On And See If Sound Is Gone! If Sound Is Gone I Will Take All Three Back To Lexus And Get New. Im Not Going Thru The Process Of Elimination On All Three Parts This Sucks Enuff As It Is But What Else Can You Do !!!
Old 03-27-08, 07:51 AM
918STEVEW
Driver School Candidate

Well I Tore Motor Back Apart And Inspected Timming Belt Parts And The Only Pulley That I Could Get A Noise Out Of Was The Water Pump, So I Called Lexus And They Told Me That They Would Exchange It For Me , So I Put New Water Pump On And Timed The Car And Put It Back Together And Guess What ,,,,,, the Sound Is Still There !!!! i Am Going To Exchange The Idler And Tensioner And Try One More Time. Those Are The Only Parts Left To Change Out. I Know That I Have Created This Noise Because The Car Was Perfect Before I Did The Timming Belt And New Parts! If Any Body Has Any Ideas As To What Im Missing Here Please Let Me Know. Car Runs Purfect Other Than This High And Low Pitch Growl.thanks Again.
Steve
Old 03-27-08, 08:04 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Steve,

I talked to my brother about your issue.. His very first response.... off the top of his head was.. sounds like the belt is too tight. I only repeat this as I have a huge amount of respect for him. He has been in the car business for 20 years and is ASE cert.

I do not see how the belt could be too tight.

Did you change the spring loaded (hydrualic I think) tensioner?

It should be easy to see if your old belt and new belt are the same size.

When I did my 2uz motor at 95K the belt had not stretched at all.

How about do a DIY while your in there again.. that would be great..

BP

BP
Old 03-27-08, 09:52 AM
918STEVEW
Driver School Candidate

Bp

I Did Not Change The Tensioner , The Belt Feels The Same As The Old One Did And All Looks Great. For The Life Of Me I Cant Figure Out What Is Wrong. The Car Has A Low Growl At Start Up And You Hear It Worse When You Put The Car In Drive(lower Rpms I Guess). When You Put The Car In Park Or Reverse The Sound Is Weaker And When You Drive The Car And Warm It Up The Sound At Idle Is Completly Gone But The High Rpm Growl Stays And Is Inconsistant In And Out At High Rpms. I Just Figured That If I Change The Idler And Tensioner That At Least I Will Know That It Is Something Else. What Else It Could Be After That I Am Clueless. I Just Know That The Car Was Great Before I Put New Parts On It !! This Just Seems To Baffle Me More Every Day.

Quick Reply: Timming Belt Just Replaced (wierd Engine Noise Now)