GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Horrible upper dash rattle at bottom of windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 11:37 PM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Horrible upper dash rattle at bottom of windshield...

My '02 GS430 w/ 55K has developed this horrible rattle at the very top of the dash where the bottom of the windshield meets it. It started this winter and is at its worst when cooler than 70 degrees out. If the car's been sitting in the sun all day, you don't hear it as much. I hear it whenever the car rolls over imperfections/short bumps in the road. I thought it was the front defroster vent but it is tight as can be. It seems to be coming from above the vent where the windshield meets the dash and is unreachable. It sounds like it could be hard plastic vibrating against the windshield perhaps?

Anyone experienced this? I found some posts on the 3rd Gen page and a TSB was even written for '03-'07 GS, however mine is an '02. Take a look. I wonder if this could be the fix...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=342820
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus Dash Rattle TSIB.pdf (233.9 KB, 567 views)
Old 11-04-08, 07:05 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. Does anyone have any insight?
Old 11-04-08, 09:33 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I too have the same problem on some cold mornings, but I doubt that the dealer would cover the charge for this since my car has about 120k and is a 2002.
Old 12-29-08, 07:40 PM
tarnut77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same problem. I found the problem and fixed it today. I got my windshield replaced about a month ago. Then last Monday it was about 24 degrees out side and I suddenly got the dash rattle. I finally tracked it down today. There are 2 white plastic clips that are used to hold the bottom of the windshield when it is innitially set into place in the factory. They are on the left and right sides. They have adhesive tape to also attach them to the windshield. In my case the guy who replaced the windshield used masking tape to tape them down after they were detached from the original windshield. ( The serve no structural purpose once the windshield is in place and there is about .75" of up and down play when not attached.) When it got cold the adhesive on the masking tape failed and it was rattling between the metal on the cowl and the bottom of the windshield. I simply used some silicone to stick them down to the metal and keep them from rattling around. I was going to just cut but the bottom tab would fall down in the firewall on passenger side. That could cause another rattle. Mine was the result of the replacement windshield but from the factory they are only stuck to the windshield with adhesive tape. Over time that adhesive cold fail and would cause the rattle. It is definitely worth checking out, it only took me about 20 minutes. Here is what I did:

1. Pop the hood

2. Remove Windshield wipers (14mm) They are marked D and P for Driver and Passenger side. They pull straight off after you remove the nut.

3. Remove 2 plastic pop out clips ( one on each side near hood hinge)

4. The plastic cowl has clips under the rubber gasket that seals against the hood ( I think there were 4, you can feel from the underside and push them back through.

5. Pull up and toward the front of the car, ( there are several clips that slide under the bottom of the windsheild)

6. Put the silicone on

7. Put everything back on in reverse
Attached Thumbnails Horrible upper dash rattle at bottom of windshield...-dash-rattle-clips-1.jpg  

Last edited by tarnut77; 12-29-08 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-29-08, 07:52 PM
tarnut77
Driver

Default Close up of the clip

Here is a close up of one of the clips.
Attached Thumbnails Horrible upper dash rattle at bottom of windshield...-dash-rattle-clips-2.jpg  
Old 12-30-08, 09:55 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

subscribed
Old 12-30-08, 10:46 AM
lexstek
Driver School Candidate

Default Windshield rattle

I was wondering if the clip solution worked for you. Its a common cause of rattles across the lexus line. If not there is one more common cause for dash rattles. The tabs that hold in the dash make noise when cold.
Old 12-30-08, 11:57 AM
tarnut77
Driver

It did work for me. You could also put double sided adhesive tape to stick them back onto the glass. Mine started when it was cold and was getting worse. The tape from the windshield replacement guy was failing more and more and allowing the clip on the passenger side to rattle more and more. My rattle was at times sounded like something rattling against the glass. The clip was rattling and at times would hit the glass. Sounded horrible.

I thought this would be something good fore people to check if they have this problem since it really only takes a few minutes.
Old 12-30-08, 01:09 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I too, have a rattle on my gs300 (04). I started hearing it here in Germany where it really gets cold at times and was pretty annoyed by it, well, am still annoyed cause I still have it. i will try the clip route, but I don't know if that will solve my problem. If not, I will post back! Good luck to everyone else.

Happy new year!
Old 12-30-08, 08:52 PM
tarnut77
Driver

I did the 7/32" vacume hose fix to quiten dash squeaks today. It did make a great improvement. I saw it on another post somewhere on here. you just buy 7/32" rubber vacume hose cut to length of the dash starting from right of the VIN. push it in below the space between the dash and the glass. It goes down below the black dot matrix stuff on the windshield and you can't see it. You just push it in with a flat head screw driver.

I also did the sunshade ratttle fix today. It is like driving a new car. Sooo much quieter after doing these three things. I know these may not solve everyones rattles and squeaks because there are several possibilites;but they did fix mine and it just cost me about $8 ($4 caulk+$4 vacume hose) in parts and about 45 minutes of my time. So maybe not a bad place to start looking for those annoying noises.
Old 12-30-08, 09:17 PM
Aristo99
Driver School Candidate

i also have the rattling problem with my 99 gs, but it rattles when im at a stop light or when the car idles
Old 01-17-09, 01:06 PM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Thanks Tar.... I pulled the plastic cowling off to reveal the bottom of the windshield but found the clips were in place and holding tight so I've got to look for another solution. I'm going to look around under the windshield to see if I can find something....
Old 01-22-09, 12:32 PM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Default Re:

Originally Posted by AUGuy21
Thanks Tar.... I pulled the plastic cowling off to reveal the bottom of the windshield but found the clips were in place and holding tight so I've got to look for another solution. I'm going to look around under the windshield to see if I can find something....
FINALLY! Problem is fixed! After seeing that the windshield clips were tightly in place I decided to drive the car around the block without the black plastic windshield cowling installed and over some familiar roads that would shake the car. Absolutely no noise whatsoever, so I discovered it was coming from the black cowling. I slapped it back on temporarily and noticed the back of the cowling that faces the engine was the culprit. Even when installed you could pull up on it at least a quarter inch with no effort. The clips underneath the rubber gasket in clipped in but were not snug. So I decided to add a few drops of silicone as adhesive to seal the cowling to the metal of the car. Also added some 3M double sided tape on the other end that lies up against the windshield. Works perfectly so far.

Thanks for the discovery as I would have never thought of this on my own!
Old 01-22-09, 12:35 PM
Sydwayz
Rookie

Did anyone see "Tommy Boy"? Is it M&Ms?
Old 01-23-09, 01:13 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Did anyone see "Tommy Boy"? Is it M&Ms?
who hasnt seen tommy boy? chris farley was the man

Quick Reply: Horrible upper dash rattle at bottom of windshield...