GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Plastix does it again

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 04:38 AM
Chris2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Plastix does it again

Ok I was really bummed that my HID headlight housing had so much junk on the front outside lens. It felt rough and just plain old bad. About a month ago at the wash I noticed the film on the outside was adjusting the light beam some how. I even started to see it from a distance and with so much time and money invested into this relatively new purchase I wanted a fix. I searched and honestly baking my headlights along with sanding and polishing are a bit out of my DIY skill level. Looked at new housings and ummm not in my price range(free) so I felt stuck. I picked up a buffer from Craigslist for $10 and figured I'd try to at least polish it down some. To my surprise it not only polished, but really cleaned the crap outta them! I felt it before, laid the plastix on, let it sit about 15 minutes, went back buffed it off and I could instantly feel the smoothness again. My Driver side was the worst. It had all kinds of crap on my hood and bumper. Not sure if it was the polish or buffer but the combination gave me an awesome Easter present. It was better than the 2lbs of candy I usually eat. I'll post up pics tonight but here is the before pic.
Attached Thumbnails Plastix does it again-dsc01031.jpg  
Old 03-24-08, 05:38 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see the before, but where's the after ... Post it up !!
Old 03-24-08, 06:57 AM
Chris2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
I see the before, but where's the after ... Post it up !!
Working on it. Had to leave before I got it up. When I get back I certainly will. Trust me it is a world of difference. I might be able to make a video of how smooth it is too using a plastic bag.
Old 03-24-08, 09:10 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris2
Working on it. Had to leave before I got it up. When I get back I certainly will. Trust me it is a world of difference. I might be able to make a video of how smooth it is too using a plastic bag.
Nice, I did this on my old '94 ES but I didn't use a buffer, just my hands and some applicator pads, and it came out pretty good lol ... I'm definitely thinking about doing this as well to my GS, except with a buffer this time, it doesn't really need it since it's still really clear but I want it to look almost brand new
Old 03-24-08, 02:29 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

I do mine every 3 mos because of winter ,salt, road grime ,and acid rain water I might be **** about it but its worth it to me .
Old 03-25-08, 04:09 AM
Chris2
Pole Position

Got back late so the lights were on but you can tell the difference instantly. AFTER:

(Condensation is my next project) Maybe a hair dryer or vaccum tube will do the trick without removing the housings......
Attached Thumbnails Plastix does it again-image305.jpg  
Old 03-25-08, 10:15 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff for the money
Old 03-25-08, 12:24 PM
JnC
Intermediate

I recondition headlights all the time. Many people use sand paper to refinish the lens but sand paper leaves a white haze in the lens. I'll try to put pictures up tomorrow, my method included 5 different polishes to get the pits/scratches out of the lens and bring it 95% back to its original luster.

If the scratches are really heavy then I'd use a 1500 grit sand paper, doing it with any courser sand paper would leave swirl marks that you wont be able to take out.

Tools needed
Drill machine, preferebly a corded one since you'll work on one lens for a good hour or so hence the battery powered one wont last that long.
Buffer head with sponge attachment.

Polishes
Novus marine plastic # 3 for heavy scratches
Novus marine plastic # 2 for fine scratches
Novus Plastic polish #1
PlastX
Headlight restoration kit from Napa, napa has two kinds of them, there is one that comes with a buffer head and sponge pads that already have the chemical powder in them, thats the one you need.

First try to assess how bad the headlight lenses are, if there are deep pits and very heavy scratches then work them out with the 1500 grit fine sand paper. If the scratches are in one particular area then mask off the surrounding with painters tape and work on that area alone.

Using the drill and buffer head apply some Novus #3 and work on the lens evenly for a good 15~ 20 minutes, make sure that you keep the buffer moist with polish and keep it moving. After that let it dry for a minute and take it off with a moist towel.

Repeat above step with Novus # 2.

Spray on Novus 1 and rub it on the lens and clean it with a dry towel.

Now with plastX buff it onto the lens until plastX disappears into a clear slippery chemical, this would only happen if you keep buffing it for a good long period of time. Once that happens then quickly wipe off the polish before it hardens.

Spray on Novus 3 and clean the lens, if you have done your job right then by now you would have a clear front lens that looks as good as it did the first day the car rolled off of the assembly line.
Old 03-25-08, 11:21 PM
Chris2
Pole Position

Thanks for the info JNC
Old 03-26-08, 04:22 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

I read that buffing out the oxidation (as with PlastiX) from the headlight removes the UV resistant layer on the headlights. So, the haze comes back much quicker than before. Has anyone who has buffed their headlights experienced this?
Old 03-26-08, 04:49 PM
JnC
Intermediate

^^ I have had mine on for about 6 months now and they went through the very harsh NE weather and still are as good as the day I buffed them , you should have seen how they were before I reworked them.

Here is what they use to look like

and this is what they look like now

Old 03-26-08, 05:06 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JnC
^^ I have had mine on for about 6 months now and they went through the very harsh NE weather and still are as good as the day I buffed them , you should have seen how they were before I reworked them.

Here is what they use to look like

and this is what they look like now

that's a nice, nice retrofit!
Old 03-28-08, 07:17 AM
Chris2
Pole Position

That is a major difference. I might have to actually sand mine down now.
Old 03-28-08, 03:07 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does magic ... I love it ... need to wet sand too and then put the clear bra on it ..
Old 03-28-08, 04:44 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanna see the beam pattern with the retrofit. Nice work!!

Quick Reply: Plastix does it again