GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I'm coming back....to a GS400, 98 vs. 99 issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 02:07 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb I'm coming back....to a GS400, 98 vs. 99 issues?

hey guys,

Wondering if you veterans can help me out a bit here....I've been looking for a mid/full size daily driver for quite some time now. All my cars are 2-door, stick shift cars except my ML320. The m3 is just too showy and lack of doors make it a crappy 4 person car.

I have been looking at E55 amg's but don't really want to spend $40k+ on a car with no warranty and huge repair costs. Then I remembered my trusty 99 black GS400 I had back in college and how much I missed that car.

Anyways I'm back and have decided to pick up a low mileage (hopefully one owner) 98-2001 GS400 since that's in my budget.

I'm not looking for riced out loud cars as I have plenty of those already in my stable...........just need a clean, lowered GS400 in any color but black please!

My question is what should I look out for in terms of mileage, problems, tranny issues or certain mods to avoid?????

For example I had a lot of trouble with SRT's Intake and piggy back ECU back then on my GS400 and it actually destroyed one injector and voided my warranty!

So help me out guys......................

thanks so much
rick
Old 03-31-08, 02:12 PM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had mine for a while now and no problems wat so ever mine is a 98gs400 i have had all the minor work to it i also have borla exhaust and srt intake and no problems yet for 30000 miles. i now have about 205000 miles on the car and car drives like its new
Old 03-31-08, 02:23 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i also have the intake for over lets say 55k no problems no codes nothing-i dont think there are any mods people do to GS that hurt their cars, try to pick one from here from a fellow cl member i wish i had done it- there are not really any major issues with the car other that ball joints good luck
Old 03-31-08, 02:28 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 99 GS4 Purchased Feb 2006 with 124k now at 146k... and I have done No major work on the car whats so ever ... Just watch out for ball joints .. I have seen and heard of many bad things happening..

I am on air And sure wearing those down faster ..

Any other issues ? Not really bro ... Welcome back to the Fam.. !

Btw sick M3 !
Old 03-31-08, 02:34 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

I bought my 99 black GS400 new from a local Chicago dealer new back in college. It was of course under full warranty so I had nothing to worry about. I installed a Blitz cat back exhaust, Eiback springs with no issues but I remember when I installed the SRT Intake and PIGGY Back ECU (the thing modified my air flow mixture) and caused one of the injectors to go bad which was $$$ to fit!

But on used GS400's, what's typical mileage I can expect for a 98/99? Is 130k miles too much?

I was trying to bid on a 99 GS400 with only 68k miles on Ebay but lost that auction. Car had no mods and super clean, one owner too.

Is a 98 Gs400 with 150k miles considered a lot? What are some routine service jobs I have to be prepared for? I know someone mentioned ball joints but is steering joints?

Cars in this year I'm sure have no more warranty so I just don't want to be caught with my pants down.....

thanks guys
rick

Last edited by s4play; 03-31-08 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 02:46 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

15K miles per year is considered average in the used car market! So average for a 98 is going to be 150K I would take my time and find a low meilage piece! I found a 99 one owner with 55K on it in Feb. They're out there, just take your time and make sure the one you buy has been taken care of....ie does it have records? ball joints? 90K service(if over or close which includes the timing belt and water pump) also....be patient! the one I found the dealer had listed at $17900 and I let them sit on it for a couple months because the price was too high and then their floor plan was running out so they had to sell and took my $13K offer!
Old 03-31-08, 04:32 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

What's up man? You won't believe the deals you can find on 2nd gen GS's here in the Chicago area....I'd look at 430's in fact.

I originally was looking for GS3's when I started looking, but the prices on 400's and 430's was incredibly low.

Come find one in Chicago area and we'll put together an S2K and Club Lex. meet for a 'home-coming' of sorts for you.
Old 03-31-08, 04:43 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Are you gonna sell your M3 to buy it?
Old 03-31-08, 05:25 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

i dont think he is.

in the thread about his m3, he said he wanted to turn it into a Vorsteiner CSL. sounds like he's got plans for the m3, so there appears to be no selling on the horizon.
Old 03-31-08, 08:19 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Common general, minor issues with the 2nd gen GS

In the early 98-00 GS, some issues to note (based on my own experience and from what I remember reading of others experience with the 2nd Gen GS):

1. Glove box rattles in cold weather (fixable using thin felt per post by CL member Blanco).
2. Moonroof sunshade rattle (either leave 95% closed or fully open and it won't rattle--unless it was fixed under warranty). Factory TSB on it--however, I haven't found a good solid fix (see my post of the factory TSB).
3. The center console wood can rattle (again fixable using thin felt per post by CL member Blanco).
4. The regular Pioneer radio will have its LED go out. Replaceable with an LED replacement from a OEM major electronics supplier (the name is escaping me, but do a CL search of one of my posts). You can also get a 01+ radio to direct drop in (you'll need a harness adapter)--that's what I've got (better Auto Volume Leveler and has the RDS capability and LCD that won't go out on you).
5. Sometimes the early headlights (hit/miss) will have a small leak and you'll get condensation in the lense. You can replace the lense (no electronics) itself for about $200 each for new OEM (just transfer all electronics including ballast, bulbs and computer to the new capsule) or do a DIY and reseal the current capsule. A new full, complete headlight is about $1000/each (for comparison's sake).
6. Low, rough idle affects some cars (fix: clean your MAF sensor and throttle body may help)

I can't think of much else on the top of my head. It's been mechanically very solid car otherwise. Good luck.
Old 03-31-08, 08:24 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
I bought my 99 black GS400 new from a local Chicago dealer new back in college. It was of course under full warranty so I had nothing to worry about. I installed a Blitz cat back exhaust, Eiback springs with no issues but I remember when I installed the SRT Intake and PIGGY Back ECU (the thing modified my air flow mixture) and caused one of the injectors to go bad which was $$$ to fit!
just saw your BMW pics...you a boilermaker?
The only issues you should look at are mainly lower ball joints and starter.
Old 03-31-08, 08:30 PM
gs400tx
Lead Lap

My GS4 with 88K miles is on craigs list. You have to get to south tex.
I will take anything above about 10.5 K at this point. Have not replaced ball joints, but its had just about everything else - not lowered though.

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/car/616597690.html
Old 03-31-08, 10:45 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Luder94: Are you on the Prelude forums too? your SN sounds sooo familiar!

Thanks for the offer, I'm usually back in Naperville around June so I'll let you guys know, would be awesome to have an s2000/lexus meet I'll be in a RX350 if the meet is Chicagoland. Help me find a 99/00 in the Chicago area and I'll come there to pick it up in person

No I won't be selling the m3, the market has not been kind to used e46 m3's and for the price they are going for I'll just keep it. After all the money and effort I put into that car not going to give it away.

seattlegs / cocobun: thanks for those tips!

Going to look a bit more to find the perfect car and miles mix....

thanks
rick
Old 03-31-08, 11:05 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeattleGS400
In the early 98-00 GS, some issues to note (based on my own experience and from what I remember reading of others experience with the 2nd Gen GS):

1. Glove box rattles in cold weather (fixable using thin felt per post by CL member Blanco).
2. Moonroof sunshade rattle (either leave 95% closed or fully open and it won't rattle--unless it was fixed under warranty). Factory TSB on it--however, I haven't found a good solid fix (see my post of the factory TSB).
3. The center console wood can rattle (again fixable using thin felt per post by CL member Blanco).
4. The regular Pioneer radio will have its LED go out. Replaceable with an LED replacement from a OEM major electronics supplier (the name is escaping me, but do a CL search of one of my posts). You can also get a 01+ radio to direct drop in (you'll need a harness adapter)--that's what I've got (better Auto Volume Leveler and has the RDS capability and LCD that won't go out on you).
5. Sometimes the early headlights (hit/miss) will have a small leak and you'll get condensation in the lense. You can replace the lense (no electronics) itself for about $200 each for new OEM (just transfer all electronics including ballast, bulbs and computer to the new capsule) or do a DIY and reseal the current capsule. A new full, complete headlight is about $1000/each (for comparison's sake).
6. Low, rough idle affects some cars (fix: clean your MAF sensor and throttle body may help)

I can't think of much else on the top of my head. It's been mechanically very solid car otherwise. Good luck.

so far my car has/ had: 1,2,4( light came back), and 6.
Old 04-01-08, 12:03 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
What are some routine service jobs I have to be prepared for? I know someone mentioned ball joints but is steering joints?
If you search this forum and the suspension sub-forum for the lower ball joints you will find threads with many sad pictures of wheels falling off causing big problems.
So in summary, if you're getting a 98-00 model, make sure you replace the lower ball joints before disaster strikes. The consensus seems to be the replacement Lexus part is an updated design so you're not replacing a bad part with another bad part. It also explains why 01+ models don't seem to have this as a common problem (although it still might for individual defects, but not a design problem).

I haven't noticed a trend for any any other common threads for disastrous mechanical type conditions other then the ball joints. As you can see from the previous posts, the common "problems" are with comfort items that you might be able to live with.

Last edited by raytseng; 04-01-08 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm coming back....to a GS400, 98 vs. 99 issues?