GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My GS400 left me stranded today,quick question>>>

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 03:01 PM
350TPI
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My GS400 left me stranded today,quick question>>>

I was driving today and the battery light came on and then the CD player shut off.This of course was followed up by every light on the dash coming on.I was only about 5 miles from the house but of course i didnt make it.I just installed SONAR LEDs on friday.While changing them out i had to cut a ground wire on the passenger side main tail light because there was no way to remove it without cutting it.Could this ground wire be causing this or is it coincidence?I got the dash light for the rear tail lights and i thought it was because of the rear ground and was normal(from what i have read in other posts).Any ideas?
Old 04-01-08, 03:23 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That ground wire was not the reason why ... But it was the reason maybe for your one rear lights (dash light)

Sounds as if your Alt. is going out ? test it at auto zone and check the battery too .. (charging system) IMO
Old 04-01-08, 04:38 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You might also want to check if your battery terminals aren't corroded. If they are, clean them up, reinstall the battery, and check if it works. If it doesn't work, then check your alternator, and starter.
Old 04-02-08, 06:06 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350TPI
I was driving today and the battery light came on and then the CD player shut off.This of course was followed up by every light on the dash coming on.I was only about 5 miles from the house but of course i didnt make it.I just installed SONAR LEDs on friday.While changing them out i had to cut a ground wire on the passenger side main tail light because there was no way to remove it without cutting it.Could this ground wire be causing this or is it coincidence?I got the dash light for the rear tail lights and i thought it was because of the rear ground and was normal(from what i have read in other posts).Any ideas?
If there is a short, it will drain the battery. Battery is only needed to start the car. The alternator should produce enough current to keep it running once it is started. Does the car start and run now or not? The dash light for the tail lights after changing out the incandescents for LEDs is because the LEDs draw far less current. The system that monitors the the tail light function interprets this drop in current draw as a burned out bulb. This can be remedied by wiring in a resistor across the terminals for the replaced bulbs. Do a search on here for schematics and resistor size.
Old 04-02-08, 09:05 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
You might also want to check if your battery terminals aren't corroded. If they are, clean them up, reinstall the battery, and check if it works. If it doesn't work, then check your alternator, and starter.
starter, why should he check that? Better yet, explain how he would go about checking the starter?

I just installed SONAR LEDs on friday.While changing them out i had to cut a ground wire on the passenger side main tail light because there was no way to remove it without cutting it.
Are you sure you had to cut the ground wire, It should be a plug and play, atleast it was for me and many other members.
Why didn't you connect the ground wire back?
Old 04-04-08, 04:10 PM
350TPI
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fonzy,i just got the car back from the shop and it was indeed the alternator.I GUESS it was just a big coincidence that it dies a few days after the LEDs were installed.As far as the ground goes i didnt reconnect it because i didnt notice any problems with it disconnected and i honestly thought that is what caused the dash light.I will look into reconnecting it.
Old 04-06-08, 03:19 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fonzy,i just got the car back from the shop and it was indeed the alternator.I GUESS it was just a big coincidence that it dies a few days after the LEDs were installed.As far as the ground goes i didnt reconnect it because i didnt notice any problems with it disconnected and i honestly thought that is what caused the dash light.I will look into reconnecting it.
Glad to hear you up and running again