GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help Me Identify This Terrible Creaking Sound!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 06:59 AM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Me Identify This Terrible Creaking Sound!!

For the past week Ive had the worst creaking/rattling sound EVER! It sounds like its coming from the rear passenger side but i dont know if thats just because of how my head is turned when Im driving.

It sounds like a loud creak when I go over speed bumps or enter driveways slowly and it sounds like a rattle when my rear wheels go over even the smallest bump.

Im thinking it must be something under or inside of the car's body. I checked all in the trunk, mesing with things to try and replicate the noise, but no luck. Plus it wouldnt be this loud if it was something in the trunk. I looked underneath the car for anything unusual but again, nothing.

I dont know where else to look. Has anyone else experienced a noise like this? Please help me narrow it down! Thanks CL!
Old 04-02-08, 07:08 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

could be your shock & spring things. happened to me when i went over a bump, then i ask the guy to uninstall it and install it again and the creaking sound is gone.
Old 04-02-08, 07:19 AM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by masboy
could be your shock & spring things. happened to me when i went over a bump, then i ask the guy to uninstall it and install it again and the creaking sound is gone.
"shock and spring things" whats that?

"uninstall and reinstall" whoa! that must have cost a pretty penny!
Old 04-02-08, 07:55 AM
phillygs3

Same thing happened to me one of the rear struts had to be tightened down the bolts are in the trunk behind all that carpet
Old 04-02-08, 07:57 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

your shock & spring sometimes make a noise when it went over a bump. It's not cost penny, just ask the guy who did the installation to re-install it. Meaning....take out from the car then adjust the placement of the shock & spring. i'm not talking "uninstall" the spring from shock.
Old 04-02-08, 07:58 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a TSB for both the from and the rear coil spintgs making a clicking noise. This is for 01-02 GS430's. You did not state your year so i am not sure if this will apply to you.

Front (TSB# SU004-02):
To eliminate abnormal noise from the front coil springs, a self-adhesive urethane tube has been adopted on the lower coil of the front springs to prevent metal to metal contact between the lower coil spring and the spring support (mounted on the strut) when driving over bumps.

Rear (TSB# SU005-02):
During the rear strut assembly process, the coil spring upper insulator may have become deformed or unseated causing a metal to metal interference between the upper end of the coil spring and the spring upper support (suspension support). This interference may result in a clicking noise from the rear suspension when driving over bumps.
Old 04-02-08, 08:04 AM
rra640
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this on my first GS. Your bushings are probably dryrotted and cracked causing the noise. Crawl under there and spary some silicon spray on all the bushings and contact points of the springs. You can get it at Home Depot in a yellow can.

That will probably quiet them up, but you will need to spray them every so often, more if it rains. The silicon holds up better and longer than WD-40.
Old 04-02-08, 08:18 AM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phillygs3
Same thing happened to me one of the rear struts had to be tightened down the bolts are in the trunk behind all that carpet
Thanks, I will check that

Originally Posted by masboy
your shock & spring sometimes make a noise when it went over a bump. It's not cost penny, just ask the guy who did the installation to re-install it. Meaning....take out from the car then adjust the placement of the shock & spring. i'm not talking "uninstall" the spring from shock.
The place that installed my suspension will charge me for any work. They charge a minimum of $60 for labor.

Originally Posted by Debonair
There is a TSB for both the from and the rear coil spintgs making a clicking noise. This is for 01-02 GS430's. You did not state your year so i am not sure if this will apply to you.

Front (TSB# SU004-02):
To eliminate abnormal noise from the front coil springs, a self-adhesive urethane tube has been adopted on the lower coil of the front springs to prevent metal to metal contact between the lower coil spring and the spring support (mounted on the strut) when driving over bumps.

Rear (TSB# SU005-02):
During the rear strut assembly process, the coil spring upper insulator may have become deformed or unseated causing a metal to metal interference between the upper end of the coil spring and the spring upper support (suspension support). This interference may result in a clicking noise from the rear suspension when driving over bumps.
Its a 2001. Whats a TSB?

Originally Posted by rra640
I had this on my first GS. Your bushings are probably dryrotted and cracked causing the noise. Crawl under there and spary some silicon spray on all the bushings and contact points of the springs. You can get it at Home Depot in a yellow can.

That will probably quiet them up, but you will need to spray them every so often, more if it rains. The silicon holds up better and longer than WD-40.

Is there a link to pictures showing exactly where these contact points are. Im not the most tech savvy. Obviously I would stay away from the bakes but Can I mess something up by spraying the wrong parts?

Thanks for yall's help everyone. I hate when I dont like my car and, right now, I cant stand driving it. Makes me want to start looking for something new.
Old 04-02-08, 08:25 AM
rra640
Driver

Originally Posted by ECUgs430
Is there a link to pictures showing exactly where these contact points are. Im not the most tech savvy. Obviously I would stay away from the bakes but Can I mess something up by spraying the wrong parts?
Not really, but just look for the bushings behind the back wheel. You can't miss them. The one that seemed to be the cause on mine was the short link arm. Not sure of the technical term. I think it was silver or brass in color. At the end of each one where the bolt connects, there will be a rubber bushing.
Basically at every pivot point.

Crawl under the back and have someone push up and down on the bumper and you will see things move. Everywhere you see it move, spray it.

Don't spary any silicon on the brake components. That might not be good.
Old 04-02-08, 08:40 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Did you try checking your ball joints?
Old 04-02-08, 08:59 AM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

I replaced my front ball joints a while back. How do I check the rears?
Old 04-02-08, 09:56 AM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

jack up the car, and try to shake the wheel. ur will wheel will move around if ur ball joint is busted.
Old 04-02-08, 10:05 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ECUgs430
Its a 2001. Whats a TSB?
Technical Service Bulletin. When a problem or complaint becomes too common they will write one so all the Dealership service departments know how to correct it. Its one step down from a recall usually because it is not a safety issue.
Old 04-02-08, 01:25 PM
rra640
Driver

I didn't think the rear had a ball joint???
Old 04-02-08, 04:38 PM
papachulo
Driver

sounds like what happened to me except in the front.. i got teins as well

check this bolt on all of them; mine was loose

Quick Reply: Help Me Identify This Terrible Creaking Sound!!