GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Did you require a road force balance to get rid of vibrations when travelling @ 60mph
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - Who needed to road force balance their 20's

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-08, 08:34 PM
tomtsops
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll - Who needed to road force balance their 20's

hey, i'm just wondering how many people in here experienced vibrations with their 20's or 19's (or any size for that matter) and needed to get a road force balance to correct the issue.
Old 04-13-08, 09:19 PM
doubledown
Driver School Candidate

Please post tire and wheel size when posting. Also it would be interesting to see at what miles did vibrations start and if you were using oem wheels. Just questions I'd like to see some comments on.
Old 04-13-08, 10:51 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and it's worth the extra coin imo, if you are running a staggered setup it's a one time cost, no rotation, one and done.
Old 04-14-08, 04:31 AM
tableonard
Driver School Candidate

Default The million dollar question...

How many folks have had a "vibration" on a 2nd gen GS (100% stock with no mods ever) that did "NOT" have it fixed with "road force" balance and/or replacing the tires.

I am in the process of selling a 2002 GS430, 77000 miles, and 100% completely stock with 17" rims, which has a "vibration" around 60-70mph on the interstate. It is no way consistent. Sometimes it surfaces for a few seconds and then goes away with no change in speed, road conditions, etc.. If you take the car up to 100mph plus, it's smooth as glass....and 50mph and under it's fine also. I mostly drive in the city and barely noticed it, but a "potential buyer" drove it this past weekend and stated the vibration was "significant" around 65mph. Also, I think the vibration started after the last service at 75k miles...Which in my mind was due to them rotating the tires, the tires needing to be replaced, and any other variables that exist.

I have Pirelli pZero tires on it right now which need to replaced in the next few thousand miles. The car has basically been sitting in the garage over the past 2 months as I just got a GS460.

I find it hard to believe that the 2nd gen GS's have a "problematic" vibration issue that goes any further than the tires. Now it's a completely different story if you have monkey'd with the car doing any mods to it (such as rims, suspension, and what not).

Please enlighten me with your "true" experiences and solutions on this "sensitive" subject.... as I have a guy with the cash burning a friggin' hole in his pocket wanting to buy my car..... except this dadgum vibration is giving him ice cold feet!
Old 04-14-08, 07:56 AM
tomtsops
Driver

Originally Posted by tableonard
How many folks have had a "vibration" on a 2nd gen GS (100% stock with no mods ever) that did "NOT" have it fixed with "road force" balance and/or replacing the tires.

I am in the process of selling a 2002 GS430, 77000 miles, and 100% completely stock with 17" rims, which has a "vibration" around 60-70mph on the interstate. It is no way consistent. Sometimes it surfaces for a few seconds and then goes away with no change in speed, road conditions, etc.. If you take the car up to 100mph plus, it's smooth as glass....and 50mph and under it's fine also. I mostly drive in the city and barely noticed it, but a "potential buyer" drove it this past weekend and stated the vibration was "significant" around 65mph. Also, I think the vibration started after the last service at 75k miles...Which in my mind was due to them rotating the tires, the tires needing to be replaced, and any other variables that exist.

I have Pirelli pZero tires on it right now which need to replaced in the next few thousand miles. The car has basically been sitting in the garage over the past 2 months as I just got a GS460.

I find it hard to believe that the 2nd gen GS's have a "problematic" vibration issue that goes any further than the tires. Now it's a completely different story if you have monkey'd with the car doing any mods to it (such as rims, suspension, and what not).

Please enlighten me with your "true" experiences and solutions on this "sensitive" subject.... as I have a guy with the cash burning a friggin' hole in his pocket wanting to buy my car..... except this dadgum vibration is giving him ice cold feet!

is doubledown the buyer? so after you had your tires rotated you noticed it? where do you feel the vibrations coming from? the steering wheel, rear of the car?
Old 04-14-08, 08:12 AM
tableonard
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Feedback is through the steering wheel....

For me, I've only felt it in the steering wheel. Also, when you get the car up to 100mph +, it's smooth as glass... Which everyone I've talked to about this issue says it's the tires. None the less, the car can't be sold in the state it's in. I am going to see about getting the Lexus dealership to "roadforce" balance the existing tires again (if they can do it dirt cheap), to see if this fixes the problem. Otherwise, we'll put some new rubber on I suppose.
Old 04-14-08, 08:17 AM
tomtsops
Driver

did you get them re-balanced, regular balance? maybe there's just a problem with one of the front tires that's causing hte vibrations in the steering wheel.
Old 04-14-08, 08:19 AM
tableonard
Driver School Candidate

Default Nothing...

Nothing has been done to them except for rotations during regular maintenance in the past 25k miles....
Old 04-14-08, 09:36 AM
tomtsops
Driver

well usually from what i understand they'll put the 'best' balanced wheel at the front driver side, as that is where you'll feel the most vibrations, and the worst tire at the rear passenger... maybe try rotating your tires again yourself and see if it goes away.
Old 04-14-08, 01:01 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hade my car roadforce balanced today on 17" factory wheels. I had the same shimmy as everyone else that was only apperant between 60-70. Why does every GS have this??? Are the factory 17" wheels week and easily bend? Anyway, the balancing did the trick. They said both right side wheels were slightly bent and they had to add quite a bit of weight to the right rear. Regardless, the car is smooth all the way through the mph range. I can feel a slight wobble coming from the right rear, but plan on upgrading to 20's once I find some coilovers.