GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help, Trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 05:36 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help, Trunk won't open

I just woke up this morning, and now my trunk will not pop open, and nor will the key work... I have searched and searched, can anyone help?
Old 04-14-08, 11:21 AM
samster
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it won't pop open by remote? or even inside? next to the gas door switch? nor does the key work?
Old 04-14-08, 11:27 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

No, the switch works fine. I can open my fuel door, but when i pull the trunk switch i can here the relay engage, but the trunk will not release. Same thing with the remote, i can hear the relay fire, but it does not release the trunk. The key will not open the trunk as it can only be truned about half way until i feel like it is going to snap the key in the lock.. After going through my manual, i've traced it to a faulty luggauge compartment release motor. I'm guessing i have to unbolt the seat, and pop the trunk with the manual release... I was just really shocked when i tried poppin' my trunk and nothing... HELP!!!
Old 04-14-08, 11:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

No other choice than to take out the back seat. It's a hassle since we do not have folded seats Even then, you're going to have to take out those stupid liners
Old 04-14-08, 11:39 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like you will have to remove the rear seat to pop it open. I hope you don't have a packed trunk or a big sub box in the way.
Old 04-14-08, 11:41 AM
samster
Pole Position

eeekkkkk i don't remember seeing any trunk release, directly behind the seats, just remembered there aren't any access room to the trunk, but then on most car's the cables do run by the rear top panel. g'luck
Old 04-14-08, 11:55 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by samster
eeekkkkk i don't remember seeing any trunk release, directly behind the seats, just remembered there aren't any access room to the trunk, but then on most car's the cables do run by the rear top panel. g'luck
He will have to find a way or fabricate a special broom stick to reach through to the emergency "kid locked in truck" release handle near the latch. Again, i hope your truck is somewhat empty.
Old 04-14-08, 12:48 PM
Chris2
Pole Position

I know it seems simple but have you tried pulling on the trunk lid after you engaged the interior trunk switch? I had the same issue a few months back and it was a damn gym bag stuck inbetween the latch and lock. Gave it a tug and it opened. Now I make sure when I close my trunk nothing is in the way. Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-08, 12:57 PM
NBart
Pole Position

Have you tried to pull up on the trunk lid when you use the key and the latch releases. I agree it could be something in the way, but it could also be that the pop up release mechanism, don't really know or care what the the tech name for it is, is broken and the trunk will still open. Try that and/or bringing it by the dealer before you remove your rear seats.
Old 04-14-08, 01:13 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you checked yoru fuses?
Old 04-14-08, 06:56 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Default AHH!!! No one else has had this problem!?!??!

Originally Posted by Chris2
I know it seems simple but have you tried pulling on the trunk lid after you engaged the interior trunk switch? I had the same issue a few months back and it was a damn gym bag stuck inbetween the latch and lock. Gave it a tug and it opened. Now I make sure when I close my trunk nothing is in the way. Hope this helps.
Yes, i did. You can hear the solenoid engage, but it does not release the trunk.

Originally Posted by NBart
Have you tried to pull up on the trunk lid when you use the key and the latch releases. I agree it could be something in the way, but it could also be that the pop up release mechanism, don't really know or care what the the tech name for it is, is broken and the trunk will still open. Try that and/or bringing it by the dealer before you remove your rear seats.
I am the dealer, i am a tech at Toyota.

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Have you checked yoru fuses?
Yes, i have power to the motor, it just is stuck locked.

So, today.. i got tired of not using my trunk, or atleast hearing it click, but not open... So i decided to follow my manual and hook up the teachstream to my car, i did an actuator test, and sure enough it won't release. So i decided to take out the back seat, suprisingly easy, then i had to take out two crossmembers that support the seat itself. Crawled through, manually tried to open the trunk with the manual release, but it wouldn't budge!! It simply will not open, so i had to unbolt the latch assembly from both the trunk and the "striker" which is bolted to the body... All and All, it's a pain in the ***, the luggage compartment release motor is $176 my cost, plus whatever i new striker is since i can't release the latch. So i had to bolt the latch back up just to hold my trunk down, and keep thiefs from having their way... To bad i will be driving around with my entire backseat loose for a few days waiting for the actuator to come in! I will update when i find out what i hell is going on!
The following users liked this post:
LEXXIUM (03-23-19)
Old 04-14-08, 07:18 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Techstream is awesome though isn't it? Very cool tool to use.
Old 04-15-08, 06:20 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

$167.49, my cost, to order the new trunk lock assembly and the stryker for the trunk sense i can't release the old latch from the old stryker. I have to wait until thursday now until it arrives, what a P.I.T.***!!!
Old 04-23-08, 08:10 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Default What a thrill ride...

Update...
Well, i am almost sad to tell this story. So monday, i order just a lock assembly and to call my cell phone when the part came in because i am a toyota employee and i can just get it for cost, then pay cash.
Tuesday i called back and ordered a stryker, which the trunk lock latches onto, the guy tells me no one has ordered any assembly, but we will go ahead and order it, Cool, no big deal.
Wednesday, i was feeling a little shooken up about ball joints, and figured at $66 a peice i might as well do that, tighten my pretensioner, and align it. Back to Wednesday, i called back to order both ball joints and to my dismay, a different guy tells me that he doesn't have anything ordered, and the soonest he can get it in in friday. So at this point, i can't believe what i am hearing, I am a technician at a Toyota dealership, and i am ordering parts through my dealership from Lexus.
Thursday the guy call me and says he needs an PO to order the parts, but i argue i shuoldnt need one cause i'm paying cash, but i proceed to get a po from my toyota dealer and give it to him to order the parts, and i'd just have to pay 10% more since it was brought to the dealer as a part to be installed. Anyways,
Saturday, i recieve a call telling me, my parts have arrived but saurdays they do not haver any drivers... So i said ok, i will come pick them up, he says ok see you then. I arrive, and recieve my part. $188 later, i am leaving the parking lot turning onto the highway, and i releaized i order 2 things, i forgot the stryker.. Go back, the guy says he never had it on order. I was so pissed, and i went ahead and explained to him my story and i will need to talk to his manager, he was polite and gave me his name and number and when to contact him. Then he proceed to tell me tuesday i will recieve my part, then he asked em about my ball joints... and i was like no thanks, i will use another dealer, but thank you. Tueday comes around and i paid $11 for the stryker, and after about 45 minutes it took me to install the lock assembly and stryker. I had to dring the old stryker to remove the plastic peice around the lock and stryker. All in all, I will never use Lexus of Maplewood every agian for parts, but atleast MY TRUNK WORKS AGIAN!!!