GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

No Power from Radio Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 12:35 PM
questnyc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Power from Radio Help!!!

I have a problem. I had an panasonic radio installed and all of a sudden the screen just went blank and the power shut off. Im thinking maybe the radio malfunctioned. I then isntalled my factory pioneer radio and Im still not getting any power. Im not sure what the problem can be but I know it isnt the radio. Do you guys think its the fuse? If so where is it located on the car. What do you guys suggest. Thanks

P.S. Its killing me driving around in silence lol...
Old 04-15-08, 04:25 PM
NBart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the fuses?
Old 04-15-08, 05:35 PM
questnyc
Rookie

No i didnt check the fuse yet. Im not sure where the fuse is located for the radio. Is it at the driver side in the engine compartment Fuse 41. A friend of mine was tellin me that. Just want to double check with you guys. Also how do u tell if the fuse is blown?
Old 04-15-08, 05:58 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by questnyc
No i didnt check the fuse yet. Im not sure where the fuse is located for the radio. Is it at the driver side in the engine compartment Fuse 41. A friend of mine was tellin me that. Just want to double check with you guys. Also how do u tell if the fuse is blown?
hopefully your radio didn't short. not sure about yours but there may may be a fuse in the back of the unit itself. there should also be a fuse in one of the boxes in the engine compartment. sorry, i don't have my owners manual with me but it should be listed in there. you'll have a bad fuse if the metal is burnt or does not make a full connection. In the center of the green area you can see wherethe two white portions are not conjoined. that's because it's blown.

Old 04-15-08, 06:01 PM
questnyc
Rookie

thanks man. i dont think its the radio because both of the radio's doesnt work. ill check that out tomorrow when its light outside. Also how much do you think a new fuse will run me?
Old 04-15-08, 06:02 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

thanks man. i dont think its the radio because both of the radio's doesnt work. ill check that out tomorrow when its light outside. Also how much do you think a new fuse will run me?
no prblem. i could probably get a better idea if i had the radio in front of me, but anyway, check the fuses out first. new fuses aren't that expensive. you could probably get a 5-pack for like $2 at radio shack. not sure though. it's been awhile since i've had to buy any.
Old 04-16-08, 10:08 AM
questnyc
Rookie

Ok i replaced the fuse with a new one and the radio still isnt powering up. Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-08, 11:25 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok i replaced the fuse with a new one and the radio still isnt powering up. Any suggestions?
(WOW I NEVER READ THE FULL POSTS SORRY ITS A PROBLEM IM TRYING TO RESOLVE HAHA SO THIS PROB DOES NOT HELP YOU, SORRY)

Pull the radio unit out.. (instructions http://bananags.grantham-internation...IY/remove_head)

Pull the radio towards you, sit in the passenger seat while doing this, turn the face of the radio towards the drivers seat. This should expose the rear (passenger side) right side of the radio unit and there should be (or should be) two circular plugs that go into the spot right in the middle on that right side. One should be larger than the other... One is the radio antenna and the other is the power to the unit. Check and see if both are plugged in, if just one is, follow the cable as the two are attached about four inches back. If there are no circular plugs in and you see two empty holes, then look around behind the radio for the cord. If you are unable to locate it, disconnect the entire radio... All of the plugs will only fit in there specified sockets, so do not worry about mixing them up. This should allow you to look more thoroughly back there. I hope this helps!

-Joe

Last edited by jamodeo; 04-16-08 at 11:28 AM. Reason: im a retard
Old 04-16-08, 05:57 PM
questnyc
Rookie

thanks but it didnt help. both of the plugs are in.
Old 04-16-08, 08:46 PM
samster
Pole Position

test light? probe tester? how are you hookin up a radio with out a tester? did you just buy a harness? and hooked it up like that? did you try to see if both the ACC and IGN+ wires have power to them? if its an aftermarket headunit, most of them have a fuse behind it on the radio itself or the harness, but if your saying you stock radio doesnt go on either, i believe the radio fuse is either behind the drivers kick panel or pass kick panel.
Old 04-18-08, 10:15 AM
questnyc
Rookie

well both aftermarket and stock radio doesnt work. The aftermarket radio was working then it just shut off in the middle of the song. Thats when i took the aftermarket radio out and replaced it with the stock and its still isnt powering up. So ur saying it could be the radio fuse?
Old 04-22-08, 05:19 AM
samster
Pole Position

most likely a fuse if they are both not gettin power and your possitive both of them work