GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Newbie DIY Maintainence + Lower Front Suspension (GS430) - Check my list please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 04:25 PM
shomann
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie DIY Maintainence + Lower Front Suspension (GS430) - Check my list please!

Well, I think I may have just won an award for the 3 words that shouldn't be in a title together (and no, please isn't one of them).

I purchased my GS430 at 93k last month, drove it 5500 miles from Southern Indiana to CA and back and now am looking forward to finishing the maintainence I started with the water pump / timing belt replacement. I would like to take all the knowledge that I gain from this thread (and more than a few others) and make a sticky in the future specifically for this type of DIY.

I am not a stranger to working on my own cars. I am at best a shadetree mechanic though and do not have access to tools beyond normal hand tools. What I want to accomplish over the next few weeks is a full fluid change, spark plugs, fuel system cleaning and the dreaded tie-rod/ball joint replacement.

I have attempted to do my research as throughly as possible, but would very much appreciate it if CL would look over the following list to make sure I am not forgetting anything and to make sure I have the part numbers right.

Front Suspension:

Questions:
  1. I have read about the Daizen bushing swap and the positives and negatives of doing it. I also have noted that I should purchase new OEM LCA bushings as opposed to the Daizen hard poly due to trammelling issues. The question that I have is that I am a bit concerned about squeaking post-install. Is there a way to counter-act this?
  2. Should I proceed with the upgraded bushings from Daizen, is there any way I can do this without a press? I read this site for an LS400 that shows a guy burning out the old bushings. Can this method work for the 2nd Gen GS? (Not that it matters, but this has much less to do with saving money as to my lack of good suspension shops around where I live)

Parts List:
  • OEM Ball Joints L+R
  • Tie Rod Ends L+R
  • Daizen sway bar bushings
  • Daizen steering rack bushings
  • OEM Lower Control Arms
  • Daizen Control Arm Bushings - assuming I can DIY

Fluids/Maintainence

I know a few things here. I need to do the fuel system clean on the old plugs and I need to make sure to buy more transmission fluid than capacity so I can do a proper flush, but there are a few things that I haven't found definitive answers for yet.

Questions:
  1. Do I need a new transmission filter, or is it just a metal screen that I can clean?
  2. Seafoam, Lucas or BG44k?
  3. Fuel Filter?
  4. Will Torquemasters wear faster than the OEM Iridium plugs by a large margin? If so, are they worth it?

Parts list:
  • Due to seeping I need a new transmission pan gasket - great time to clean that out.
  • Synthetic or Synthetic Blend Engine Oil 5w30
  • K&N or OEM Oil Filter
  • OEM Air Filter (intake upgrade at later date)
  • Throttle Body/Mass Air Cleaner
  • Torquemaster Spark Plugs (8x)
  • Amsoil 80w90 Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid
  • Amsoil ? Rear Diff Oil
  • Amsoil ? Power Steering Fluid
  • OEM In-cabin Air Filter
  • Engine Degreaser/Cleaner/Detailing.

Thanks again for any help. I have been researching quite alot at this point and really want to "collect" this knowledge while I learn.

BTW - I have cracked 100K on this car, only owned it a month and it is already near if not at the top of my favorite of cars that I have owned :-D

NOTE: Will update the parts list as I order things. But please feel free to add the number in the thread below as well.

Last edited by shomann; 04-15-08 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 09:29 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where in Indy are you? I need bushings too and if you're doing it DIY, I may want to see how it's done :P. There's another guy on here in Indy that just did the Daizen bushings...he's on campus so I'll see if I can get a hold of him so he can chime in.
Old 04-16-08, 08:35 AM
shomann
Rookie

Actually I am in Evansville which is about 3 hours south of Indianapolis.

You are welcome to come down once I get everything laid out - but honestly, I am no expert
Old 04-16-08, 12:53 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

evansville ey? that is quite a drive...i live about 30 minutes north of downtown. Well, unless you have a press, it might be had to DIY it.

I'm considering new plugs this summer also but from what I heard, torquemaster wears faster. There's a thread about it in the performance section I think.
Old 04-16-08, 01:22 PM
shomann
Rookie

Nope, no press. The link in my post shows a guy burning out the old bushings with a propane torch in his driveway. I have seen several posts about having to cut the inner steel sleeves away from the cast aluminum control arm as well.

Still, not afraid to try it, unless someone out there knows for sure that it's impossible with hand tools.