GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New To the Forum got a few Q's - NY

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 11:25 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow New To the Forum got a few Q's - NY

Im in the market for a 2gen GS300 in the Ny tri state area and had a few Q's. so if anyone has one for sale as well ill take offers.

How reliable is the lexus gs300, from doing hours of searching all i can find are balljoint issues, and some members w/ mpg issues. i currently own a acura legend ls coupe and def. want a upgrade. as for the legend owners know maintenance for the vehicle is extremely expensive close to 1-1500 for a standard tuneup etc etc, whats the maintenance service rates going for the gs300's?

and when i finally decide to purchase the vehicle, what are somethings i should look out for? any overheating issues electrical? as for the legend they have a known BHG issue so it would be wise to run the car hard for 30 mins to see if the temp gauge skyrockets etc etc. any little tricks for the gs's? any help would be appreciated thanks!
Old 04-16-08, 12:09 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wsup, I'm from Queens as well (Whitestone) and I own a 2001 gs300 since may 07. From my experience and from what i have researched about this car is that it is extremely reliable. The balljoints are only a major issue for the pre 01 models from my understanding but I just replaced mine myself last month. All the maintenance for this car is fairly simple and not much is required, its a toyota, not a honda so expect a ton of reliability. Gas is ok depends on your driving style, I am able to maintain a 19-21mpg with 80% city driving. which is right on the dot with the msrp mpg ratiing of 19 city and 25highway for the gs300. as far as electrical and heating issues- there is NONE! I remember one time when my engine coolant was extremely low, we're talking about below the low level on the reservoir and yet there were no heating issues except for the CEL that popped up, the temp gauge did not even pass the midway point as it rarely does, even in heavy stop n go traffic with AC turned on. I currently have 95k miles on my car, i put on 16k since may and I am due for my 90k service which is basically timing belt and waterpump and thermometer replacement, but car still runs like a champ and it is still okay to drive to 100k w/o the service, not recommended tho, but the gs has been able to reach upwards of 110k-125k before undergoing a timing belt change. It all depends on your driving habits with a lexus IMO, if you have a lead foot then yea, get ur services done in time but for people who are gasjews as myself, drive conservatively and your car will last upwards of 200k.

the gs is a great car, the gs300/400/430 are similar in MPG contrary to the size of the engine.
Old 04-16-08, 12:10 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

oh, plus there are tons of DIY's u can do on the gs. just search it up on forums and you'll be good. also if you ever have problems, im pretty sure local CL members are also willing to help out in person
Old 04-16-08, 12:32 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds great, im currently shopping around yahoo auto, craigslist and everything available for the specific vehicle year and model. but thanks for the quick response and your detailed input, i might take a look at a gs300 tomorrow in brklyn and see if ill finally be a owner of one of these machines.
Old 04-16-08, 12:38 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyjaix
wsup, I'm from Queens as well (Whitestone) and I own a 2001 gs300 since may 07. From my experience and from what i have researched about this car is that it is extremely reliable. The balljoints are only a major issue for the pre 01 models from my understanding but I just replaced mine myself last month. All the maintenance for this car is fairly simple and not much is required, its a toyota, not a honda so expect a ton of reliability. Gas is ok depends on your driving style, I am able to maintain a 19-21mpg with 80% city driving. which is right on the dot with the msrp mpg ratiing of 19 city and 25highway for the gs300. as far as electrical and heating issues- there is NONE! I remember one time when my engine coolant was extremely low, we're talking about below the low level on the reservoir and yet there were no heating issues except for the CEL that popped up, the temp gauge did not even pass the midway point as it rarely does, even in heavy stop n go traffic with AC turned on. I currently have 95k miles on my car, i put on 16k since may and I am due for my 90k service which is basically timing belt and waterpump and thermometer replacement, but car still runs like a champ and it is still okay to drive to 100k w/o the service, not recommended tho, but the gs has been able to reach upwards of 110k-125k before undergoing a timing belt change. It all depends on your driving habits with a lexus IMO, if you have a lead foot then yea, get ur services done in time but for people who are gasjews as myself, drive conservatively and your car will last upwards of 200k.

the gs is a great car, the gs300/400/430 are similar in MPG contrary to the size of the engine.

damn i moved out of whitestone a while back now to move out here... sorry to dissrupt the thread but where about are you both from? I was at 22nd ave and murray st
Old 04-16-08, 03:56 PM
hurricane
Lead Lap

1 ) ball joints
2)starter
atleast in my case and have seen simliar problems on here