GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Who has wheel shake?
no wheel shake with oem wheels
19.28%
no wheel shake with aftermaket wheels
11.45%
wheel shake with oem wheels
28.31%
wheel shake with aftermarket wheels
40.96%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Who has it??? Wheel shake that is!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 07:53 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to but I changed ou my sway bars front and rear for some TRDs because it had a worn bushing on the passenger side and I put my Tanabe springs and kyb struts on and no more shaking ,I think it was my sway bar bushing.
Old 06-11-08, 03:37 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, So I installed my new wheels and tires, balanced, center ringed, now I've got vibration and pulls into lane(245 and 275 tires)

I've re-torqued every other day since I've put it on to 76lb/ft, and checked tire pressures all at 34psi.

It comes up from 80KMH and up and tapering off about 100, but I just didn't go any faster than that...

But when I turn left on highway at like 80-90KMH, there isn't any vibrations at all???

Also, I looked at my steering pretensioner, there's a lug like cover in black, but if I were to DIY, what do I use to turn it? It seems huge, too big for my hex keys.

If I were to bring it to Lexus, how much do they charge? Mine's a 98, but US car in Canada...
Old 06-12-08, 06:50 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

check the search for steering pretensioner, theres a great pictorial diy by a member here. for me i had to turn the locking nut on top counter clockwise, then for the giant hex looking bolt, i went to homedepot found a 2in long bolt with the same size flat end, got a few giant bolts as well and screwed it on so it looks like a bicycles footpeg. after you loosen the locknut, stick the fabricated bolt into the hex and turn clockwise to tighten. i would mark it with a chisel before turning incase you need to go back to oem spec. if you over tighten it, your steering wont center and it feels like youve lost all power steering so do a few degrees at a time and enjoy.
Old 06-12-08, 08:38 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike813
check the search for steering pretensioner, theres a great pictorial diy by a member here. for me i had to turn the locking nut on top counter clockwise, then for the giant hex looking bolt, i went to homedepot found a 2in long bolt with the same size flat end, got a few giant bolts as well and screwed it on so it looks like a bicycles footpeg. after you loosen the locknut, stick the fabricated bolt into the hex and turn clockwise to tighten. i would mark it with a chisel before turning incase you need to go back to oem spec. if you over tighten it, your steering wont center and it feels like youve lost all power steering so do a few degrees at a time and enjoy.
You've got a picture of the fabricated bolt? I got confused....
Old 06-13-08, 04:48 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anyone have the shimmy that comes and goes??? i'll go a week with smoothness then one day (like this morning) for some reason a slight vibration... and i know its not the road unless overnight something happened. but i bet this afternoon its fine... kinda weird huh??
Old 06-14-08, 10:54 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

So I have to buy a bolt to fit into the pretensioner, but what size I need?
Old 06-15-08, 10:17 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sojah
does anyone have the shimmy that comes and goes??? i'll go a week with smoothness then one day (like this morning) for some reason a slight vibration... and i know its not the road unless overnight something happened. but i bet this afternoon its fine... kinda weird huh??
This is what baffles me aswell...
Old 06-18-08, 02:55 PM
platinumac
Rookie

I had my 20's put on, no shake at any speed, now about a month into having them the car is basically un drivable after 40, took it to a place had 2 balances and 2 alignments done, if anything it's worse now. They told me one of the rims was bent already but wasn't that bad and that wouldn't cause it to shake. They say my 2 front cambers are frozen whatever that means. I am sinking money into this thing like crazy so to make a long story longer my wheels shake really, really, really bad now, the whole car does... Sucks!
Old 06-19-08, 04:55 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah i paid about 300 for 1 rim to get straightened/ balanced/ and about 50 of that 300 to make it blemish free... then i gots all new rotors + pads, 4 wheel alignment, hub rings, 4 balanced wheels... after like 800$ no shake until the next time i took one of the wheels off to do some small maintenance and then they balanced it and put it back on, now a slight slight shake... it drives me crazy cuz i know like a month ago it was fine,,, so what, i have to pay like 600 everytime i take a rim off to do anything to make the car shake/ vibration free when putting any rim back on??? ggrrrrrrr,,,,,
Old 06-19-08, 01:37 PM
platinumac
Rookie

yup, it's gonna cost me about $300 a month to keep my wheels in shape because at this rate, I've had my new wheels under a month and already have to order a new one.

I got jipped/mislead on the tires and got 225/35/20, they are way too skinny and narrow and on top of all that I just paid $200 for a balance and alignment I didn't need, plus I have to pay $1,200ish to have the cambers replaced in the front and back on the left side and then my 90k service thing is coming up which is going to be at least $1,000.

I am hoping the tires will last the summer but the car shakes so bad from the bent rim and it needs those cambers to be properly aligned so I am really doubting I'll get the summer out of them... What I could have done in mods for all this would have been pretty nice
Old 06-20-08, 01:57 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
So I have to buy a bolt to fit into the pretensioner, but what size I need?
The bolt to use is a M16. I believe the correct adjuster tool is a 22mm Allen key (expensive)

Make sure you also get 2 nuts for the bolt and lock them together for a grip as its the head of the bolt that fits and will do the turning.

When I got my GS 2 yrs ago (98) it had bad vibration (got it cheap). I managed to cure my vibration. IMO vibration on cars is 80% the wheels and 20% suspension play. Most cars can easily absorb a small bad balance, but the GS is very fussy. Wheel balancers (on or off car type) can only balance the wheels off the ground so it does not simulate true road conditions on our wheels/suspension.

This is a list that has cured 3 GS's (inc mine)

1. Get the wheels balanced to 0 gramms )and get them to check for any tiny buckles.)
2. Swap all wheels - front to rear. (To check if problem is on 1 wheel)
3. Borrow friends wheels and try, (To check if problem is on >1 wheel)

Now that we eliminated the wheels, it must be suspension based.

4. Check your ball-joints
5. Adjust steering pre-tensioner & Fit new Daizen steering rack bushings
6. Check your brake discs
7. Replace castor arm bushing (Daizen) or fit new arms (~$200 each!)
8. Fit new Daizen anti-roll bushings (Amazing stuff for ~$40).

#5 fixed 20% on my car and #7 fixed 70% of my problems. The old OEM rubber was far too soft to keep the front wheel suspension 100% rigid so they must have been moving front/back.

With the GS suspension fixed, it is a dream to drive, even being 10 yrs old w/140k

Last edited by gs-ireland; 06-20-08 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 04:17 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah maintenance and upkeep of mods on this car is ridiculous or ludakris if you will, but as for the 90k service check this page for the list of things lexus will actually check and replace then memorize it so it seems like you know what you are talking about and go to a local mechanic and ask them to perform the same stuff, imo a good mechanic is better than your average lexus dealership out of the 4 i have been to at least. i gots my 90k done for about 450$ and i got everything on this list plus some stuff done (except for the pcv valve thing)... http://www.lexusofbridgewater.com/MiscPage_3

as for gs-ireland's thoughts... with my rims i can't put the rear in the front and the front in the rear, and my tires are directional as well so baring taking the tires off of the rims and swapping them, (which i tried/ did last year and it was the single worst aftermarket rim/wheel/tire experience i have ever had in my life ) each wheel/ tire has to stay where it is. but your numbers 4-8 are def. interesting and i will have to look into these further... i am pretty sure my slight problems are wheel related though.
Old 06-20-08, 06:12 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
with my rims i can't put the rear in the front and the front in the rear, and my tires are directional as well so baring taking the tires off of the rims and swapping them
Did you try swapping around your spare wheel ?
Old 06-20-08, 07:54 AM
Tyke
Driver

I used to have real bad shakes..after new tires, daizen bushing install, its completely gone. Just gotta high speed balance are ur good. IM in stockies though.
Old 06-20-08, 08:46 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

gs-ireland-- when i put my stock wheels back on its all good but that may be because of the big thick stock tires. with my 20" lowenharts it is a slight vibration at certain times on the highway and i am sure it is my front left rim and possibly the rear left rim as well.. but these rims are over 1,200$ a piece so i won't be replacing any of them any time soon...

Quick Reply: Who has it??? Wheel shake that is!