GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Who has wheel shake?
no wheel shake with oem wheels
19.28%
no wheel shake with aftermaket wheels
11.45%
wheel shake with oem wheels
28.31%
wheel shake with aftermarket wheels
40.96%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Who has it??? Wheel shake that is!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 01:50 PM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the larger wheels, there is a larger centrifugal force on the suspension system as most of the weight is closer to the rubber vs OEM.

My advice is replace both the castor arms ($200each+labour) or replace just the bushings with the Daizen ones ($100+labour). (and while you are at it replace the steering & sway bushings too with the Daizen - $70 for both these kits)
Old 06-21-08, 12:58 PM
tarnut77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same vibration showing up and different times. I had finally resolved that it was just the feel of the road causing it but I just can't imagine that all of the people running 19's would put up with that amount of vibration. It is enought that I can visually see the steering wheel moving.I have recently installed Daizen steering bushing, New Ball joints, New outter tie rod ends, new OEM Caster arms, and new KYB GR2 shocks. I have also had my wheels road force balanced and high speed finish balanced on the car. The car is perfect up until 55 and sometimes up until 70 but the vibration will usually start around 60mph. I am really thinking it is the wheels. I may try a new shop for a balance.
Old 06-22-08, 11:32 AM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1,2,4,5 did the trick in my case. My wheel hubs were all in balance. Anyone in the Atlanta area should consult the crew at Butler tire in Doraville about getting the car set up right.

Originally Posted by Jedidiah
I did...... but got it resolved.

Here are the things that that could be the problem and might want to do in order:

1) Alignment (very important)
2) Road Force Balance (very important)
3) Wheel Hub Adapters (very important)
4) Replace Ball joints (recommended)
5) Replace Tie Rods (recommended)
6) Replace engine mounts and transmission mounts (recommended)
7) Replace Caster bushings (recommended)
8) Replace Wheel bearings (last precautionary step)

This is based on my research through Lexus techs and Club Lexus. If you got the shakes I would follow the above list in that order. I GUARANTEE if you follow that list in order, at some point the shaking will stop.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-08, 12:21 PM
tarnut77
Driver

I have been going to the guys at Butler in Doraville. I am just not sure what I am feeling is just from the low profile tire of the 19's or something mechanical. I have replaced most of the know parts that wear and cause this vibration. I have two left to try and that is the transmission mount and the steering pretensioner.
Old 06-22-08, 07:52 PM
1.5RS-T
Rookie

i have a 99 GS4 with 17' wheel and mine shakes at exactly 62 which is 100km/hr but goes away around 67m/hr. i just bought the car 1.5 ago - noticed the shake at 60-75 at first. i bought 4 new winter tires. had them installed and correctly balanced with the wright (Lexus OEM wheel weights). also noticed that the previous owner had damaged the inner part of one of the wheel. after i had the winter tires on there were absolutely no vibration at all. now that it's summer time i went back to summer tires and had another tire company balanced my wheels with universal weights, i get that vibration around 62 and stop a 67. i found out that different manufacturer's wheels require different weights.
Old 06-28-08, 04:24 PM
sjlex
Driver

how bad is this vibration thats so common? I test drove a gs430 and the steering wheel shook pretty badly. I thought there was something pretty bad that was wrong with the car but maybe it was a normal thing?
Old 06-28-08, 08:19 PM
1.5RS-T
Rookie

no!!! it's not normal. my car did not shake during the winter. it shake b/c something is wrong with it. no time to check.

No one would introduced a car at$70,000+CDN that shakes... think about that, it don't make sense.
Old 08-14-08, 10:46 AM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

UPDATE......

when the thread first got started, i had balacned and aligned the car and vibrations went away.... but it came back a couple months later...
i did the sterring pretensioner adjustment, and it helped sterring feel but vibrations were still there... took my stock 16's off and put on my 18's and the vibrations got worst...probably because low profile tires... anyways im stumped now and so is my mechanic... he tried calling around and no one knew about the vibrations in our cars... he checked every bushing and suspension part and found nothing wrong .....

really hope someone comes out with a solutions soon
Old 08-14-08, 12:23 PM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
I used to have it .... especially from 65-80 MPH....but I don't even have a trace of it anymore at ANY speed. I replaced lower control arms, steering rack bushings, tie rods, ball joints but although the car handled better it reduced the shaking some but certainly did not eliminate it.

After I bought new tires and 2 roadforce balances from "experts" with an alignment following each one, I finallly took the GS to a small shop on the wrong side of the tracks that specializes in fixing this the old fashioned way.............

They simply spin balance each wheel while they are still on the car using some sort of strobe light. Takes about 30-40 minutes to do all 4 wheels and they charged me $65 cash. Call me crazy but it works like a charm if you can find someone that can do it. Very few shops still do it this way but find a place that specializes in 20" wheels and larger and you may just find a simple economical solution to a most annoying problem.
That's how they did tire and wheel balancing back in the day. My old man has been a automotive tech since he was 15, and I remember a picture of him doing this to a customers car. The picture was taken around 72-74
Old 08-14-08, 12:34 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any idea what this method is called?? sounds like it could be worth a shot cuz i've sure tried a lot of other stuff... but i only have a slight vibration on Mon, Wed, and Friday's.. still haven't figured this one out...
Old 08-14-08, 12:46 PM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

It's so bad in my car now that I'm to the point where I will purposly avoid freeways when I have friends in my car because I'm soo embaressed of the shake.
Old 08-14-08, 05:34 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SHiZNiLTi
It's so bad in my car now that I'm to the point where I will purposly avoid freeways when I have friends in my car because I'm soo embaressed of the shake.
same here...
Old 08-14-08, 05:53 PM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

Although, I've yet to do anything about it.... I'm gonna wait till after I complete the drop.
Old 08-14-08, 06:51 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SHiZNiLTi
Although, I've yet to do anything about it.... I'm gonna wait till after I complete the drop.
same here.
Old 08-14-08, 07:07 PM
gs4play
Driver

Just a thought from reading posts in the past, someone mentioned that before lowering your car depending on the miles ball joints, control arms, and bushings may need to be changed. I had to put my coilovers on hold, I will be replacing upper control arms(there is a little play in them), ball joints, installing daizen steering rack bushing and replacing lower control arm bushings. Tie rods and lower control arms do not need to be replaced at this point. If some of you lowered the car without checking your suspension this could be the problem. My car also has the shaking at 60mph, I am going to have my tires balanced for the second time. The one time I don't take my car to my friend they did not balance the tires correctly, now I have to go back so they can fix this. I also had a bent rim, im on stock chrome 17s. So far I had my 5th rim put on shaking still there. I also just had new tires put on falken 452s 245/45/17 I really did not notice the shaking until they were installed but the balancing issue still needs to be taken care of. I probably won't tackle this problem if there is still shaking after balancing the tires the car will only be on the road for another two months, then back to the beater. Good luck to everyone trying to fix this problem.

Quick Reply: Who has it??? Wheel shake that is!