GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What does the "SNOW" mode do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-02, 10:28 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does the "SNOW" mode do?

Hey guys,

What does the snow mode do?
Old 02-04-02, 10:46 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

It starts you off in second gear, and keeps u always at a higher gear then normally would be in, gives u less torque at the wheels so you wont spin them as easily as u normally would when it's on normal mode...

ShOwGS
Old 02-05-02, 06:29 AM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
What does Snow Mode a 99gs 400 do? NOT MUCH, simply too much friggin power to the rear wheels I tried it last year made absoutly NO difference

Last edited by clivej; 02-05-02 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-05-02, 08:09 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I find Snow Mode very useful in keeping me out of trouble.. I mainly use it for when I am turning at intersections then I flip it off when on the straight and narrow as long as the road isn't totally covered in snow..

Some of my fellow GS drivers don't think the GS is very good in the snow but as long as you run 16" snow tires I find the GS a great winter driver.. Just my 2 cents!
Old 02-05-02, 10:33 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Most important driveline component is the nut loose behind the wheel. The Bridgestones don't help much. But, that's the compromise that you make when you elect the "summer tire option". All tires can't do all things, and the REs don't do snow!
Old 02-05-02, 10:39 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mooretorque
Most important driveline component is the nut loose behind the wheel. The Bridgestones don't help much. But, that's the compromise that you make when you elect the "summer tire option". All tires can't do all things, and the REs don't do snow!
LOL mooretorque.. Couldn't agree more!
Old 02-05-02, 11:11 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

"Starts you out in second gear"

Are you SURE?
Old 02-05-02, 01:36 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actuallly when it snowed a couple of months ago here, i could hear clicking in the engine when the car was trying to go up a hill and the wheels were spinning. i assume that it is retarding the engine somehow and not letting the power get to the wheels

Doc
Old 02-05-02, 01:51 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

DrRick, the clicking is TRAC/VSC, which both applies brakes as needed and/or retards timing. Snow mode merely invokes a different shift map in the trans: starts off in second, upshifts early, downshifts........reluctantly. Either that, or your mom is under the hood, trying to discourage you from wild and unseemly behavior by making those motherly sort of "tsk tsk" sounds that she used to do when you were being bad and irresponsible.

Drive4Fun, yes, we be sure it starts in 2nd, unless your owner's manual (and mine) are just flat bull*****ting........:eek:
Old 02-05-02, 02:08 PM
enginyr
Banned

On my GS it makes the gas pedal numb. Almost like reducing the sensitivity of throttle. Pushing half way down is like pushing a quarter way down. I kind of like it because you get more throttle control. I use the snow mode in rush hour traffic whenever I can remember to turn it on.
Attached Thumbnails What does the "SNOW" mode do?-womenparkinglot.jpg  
Old 02-05-02, 05:34 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[i]. Either that, or your mom is under the hood, trying to discourage you from wild and unseemly behavior by making those motherly sort of "tsk tsk" sounds that she used to do when you were being bad and irresponsible.

[/B]

now that is too frickin funny cause she used to do exactly that and tell me that she expected more of me.

Doc
Old 02-05-02, 08:35 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Some folks seem to be confused ...

The snow mode prevents engaging gear 1, so you start in 2nd gear with reduced power, but as the speed goes up tranny up-shifts normally.

Salim
Old 02-05-02, 09:13 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

Wonder if Snow Mode would help if I get stuck in the Sand on the beach this winter in South Florida. Maybe they should have a Sand Mode in my part of the Country.
Old 02-05-02, 09:17 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ceoart
Wonder if Snow Mode would help if I get stuck in the Sand on the beach this winter in South Florida. Maybe they should have a Sand Mode in my part of the Country.
Yup it will work.. Just put it in Snow Mode and take the VSC off and you can play in the sand all you want..
Old 02-06-02, 05:58 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Mooretorque:
<<"Drive4Fun, yes, we be sure it starts in 2nd, unless your owner's manual (and mine) are just flat bull*****ting........">>

Where in your owner's manual is this stated? What is stated?

In my manual, "ECT Snow" is mentioned on pages 181 & 188. But there is no mention of second-gear start.

Also, I compared RPM vs MPH in the start-up gear for both normal and snow modes. In a limited study, they appear to be the same; ergo first gear starts in both modes. I'll check this more thoroughly today.

No doubt that snow mode feels like second-gear start.

Quick Reply: What does the "SNOW" mode do?