GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Damn tire installers - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-02 | 01:37 PM
nomoslopok

Angry Damn tire installers - need advice

I'm a new member of CL, but on my 2nd lexus. After having read many threads over the past several weeks, I'm glad to be aboard. Many useful bits of info!

First lexus was a '95 SC300 - sweet car with no power. Current '01 GS430 certainly an upgrade from the SC. Now if only my portfolio could have held up for a few months more, I'd potentially be on the M5 board But I must say, I have MOD fever, so at least I'm happy that all my electrical systems (especially NAV) work properly, which is probably not so with owners of the other 'beast'.

Here's my problem and I'd appreciate some input on what to do. 2 weeks after I purchased my car I went to have snow tires installed. Damn installers raised my car on a lift that damaged the side skirts (l-tuned) - cracked both sides in 4 places Not having had any previous experience with body kits, I didn't notice the cracks until I had my car washed later that day. Needless to say the installers wanted the issue handled through their insurance company - which would take me another several hours of effort and aggravation. No thanks. That's what I pay my insurance co for.

Now the question: what should I do with this situation?

1. Replace my side skirts with the l-tuned and put this incident behind me?
2. Try and use the insurance $ for some other mods?
3. Take my GF to a sunny island for a weekend?

Related to #2, what mods do/do NOT void factory warranty? Specifically the engine mods (intake, SC) and the suspension mods (TOMs 6 piece, strut bars, etc.)? Although I've read just about every thread on the board, haven't found an answer yet.

Look forward to many happy years of motoring and sharing my new found MOD fever with you all and thanks for your assistance.
Old 02-08-02 | 06:37 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Nomoslopok,

Welcome to club lexus!

Where are you in NJ?

I say replace the side skirts so your babe is back to the way you're used to her.

my 2 cents
Old 02-08-02 | 10:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You can only void warranty on those things involved. If you put a TC in and fry the transmission - good luck getting the dealer to fix it under warranty if they know about the TC.

If you put new rims on though and somehow an injector goes bad, no effect on warranty (unrelated).

As to what you should do, if it were me I'd use the insurance money for other mods than the L-Tuned skirts which to me at least don't look significantly different enough from stock.
Old 02-10-02 | 01:29 PM
nomoslopok

GS4Fun: I'm located near Morristown. New to the area and am interested in finding a good tuner in NJ or NY. Have read that Johnnymo knows some good tuners (other than Lexus of Manhattan) in the area. Any suggestions? Looking to revamp my suspension next (STB front/rear, brace front/rear, and sways front/rear).

Bit: Thanks for the info. Specifically, what effect will mods on my suspension, intake, and limited slip have on warranty? In surfing the K&N site, for example, they claim that mods to the intake will NOT void ANY manufacturers warranty. True?

Thanks again.
Old 02-10-02 | 01:39 PM
nomoslopok

Question Mod Fever

GS4Fun: I'm located near Morristown. New to the area and am interested in finding a good tuner in NJ or NY. Have read that Johnnymo knows some good tuners (other than Lexus of Manhattan) in the area. Any suggestions? Looking to revamp my suspension next (STB front/rear, brace front/rear, and sways front/rear).

Bit: Thanks for the info. Specifically, what effect will mods on my suspension, intake, and limited slip have on warranty? In surfing the K&N site, for example, they claim that mods to the intake will NOT void ANY manufacturers warranty. True?

Thanks again.
Old 02-10-02 | 04:54 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by nomoslopok

Thanks again.
Central NJ here and I too have found out the only place that has experience in installing L-Tuned items is Lexus of Manhattan. Seems like such a hassle for me to go up there, when I have a Lexus Dealer right next to me, but you have to do what you have to do (since the Dealer right next to me doesn't really have any experience doing this at all, which is unfortunate).

Always good to meet fellow NJ Lexus Owners. Enjoy!
Old 02-10-02 | 05:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

nomo - I had my Lexus dealer install all the suspension mods so I'd know of any warranty concerns. They screwed up my sway bar install though, but made it right eventually, do a search on that for details.
Old 02-10-02 | 07:21 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Welcome

nomo-welcome! as far as tuners go I really don't know any in the area. All of my work was done at Lexus of Manhattan. As for the L-tuned skirts - if you like'em have them replaced otherwise there are a few things you could do with the money, rims, suspension, intake etc. Have fun!