GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

RPM too low when idling at "D"

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-02, 12:36 AM
siubo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM too low when idling at "D"

HI everyone

When I stop at a traffic light, gear in "D", my GS has RPM at around 500 only, and I can feel that my GS is shaking slightly, does anyone know what's the problem?

Also, for all of you who had lowered your GS, does anyone discover that some of the parts are a bit loose in the interior? like sunroof, glovebox etc... Coz after I lowered my GS for a few months, I always hear something that is shaking in the interior, something like loosing screws ....just wondering if anyone has this kinda problem after they've lowered their GS. Is it normal?
Old 02-11-02, 12:42 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

I never had any problems after I lowered it...probally the only car I haven't had problems with after lowering...then again it's only lowered 1"
Old 02-11-02, 12:53 AM
siubo
Driver School Candidate

CSHFLW

thanx for your reply,
Old 02-11-02, 03:39 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

Default Re: RPM too low when idling at "D"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by siubo
[B]HI everyone

When I stop at a traffic light, gear in "D", my GS has RPM at around 500 only, and I can feel that my GS is shaking slightly, does anyone know what's the problem?
QUOTE]

I had that same problem, but scince I took out my EFI Fuse # 38 for 5 minutes and put it back in (for another problem I had), it has not done it since, Try it then post your results!.
You also might want to try resetting your ECU.
Old 02-12-02, 01:44 AM
siubo
Driver School Candidate

navaz, thanx a lot

I better get it to the shop and get the ECU reset done! thanx
Old 02-12-02, 12:02 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by siubo
navaz, thanx a lot

I better get it to the shop and get the ECU reset done! thanx
Hey Siubo,

Don't take it to the shop they might charge you for it! All you have to do is open the hood, locate the battery, unscrew the positive wire, take the battery lead off, let it stay like that for like 15 minues and then put it back on. You will know the ECU is reset because all your radio stations will be lost.

IMHO, the reset ECU only helps for a little bit. Eventually, the ECU "relearns" the surrounding inputs and since nothing has changed, it will eventually idle low and at times shake like it seems like it's going to stall. I wouldn't worry about it AS LONG as the car doesn't stall. The GS is notorious for idling that low and yes, my car does the exact same thing you described...

Brent
Old 02-12-02, 05:02 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default Emissions thing

It is only for emissions so L can have ULEV status.

Ryan

Last edited by AgGS400; 03-07-02 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-13-02, 11:04 AM
siubo
Driver School Candidate

Should I also pull the EFI and Fuel Injection fuse?
Old 03-07-02, 12:59 AM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

Hmm I wanted to say check the Throttle cable and tighted it .. but I said to myself wait a MIN there is no cable,,, it has a Throttle postion sensor... AKA Electronic throttle response,,, Why did they not teach me that in School LoooooooooooooooooooooL

I would say also reset the ECU if not, I think they should either fix or change the sensor.
Old 03-07-02, 06:15 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: RPM too low when idling at "D"

Originally posted by siubo
HI everyone

Also, for all of you who had lowered your GS, does anyone discover that some of the parts are a bit loose in the interior? like sunroof, glovebox etc... Coz after I lowered my GS for a few months, I always hear something that is shaking in the interior, something like loosing screws ....just wondering if anyone has this kinda problem after they've lowered their GS. Is it normal?
my car idelin on 400.. it's shaks .. but very very little.. you can barly feel it
Old 03-07-02, 07:44 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by BLiu

Don't take it to the shop they might charge you for it! All you have to do is open the hood, locate the battery, unscrew the positive wire, take the battery lead off, let it stay like that for like 15 minues and then put it back on. You will know the ECU is reset because all your radio stations will be lost.

Brent
oh no... not my radio station))

how can i know if my ecu was reseted? my station will be gone after 1 min without battery is there any other way to do be sure that ecu has been reset?
Old 03-07-02, 09:02 AM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
lift the ECU fuse for 15 mins(passenger side fuse box).Does the same thing.(make sure your A\C is on)Thats one of the reasons lexus recomends you never turn your A\C off.
clive

Last edited by clivej; 03-07-02 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-07-02, 10:30 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by clivej
Hi guys,
lift the ECU fuse for 15 mins(passenger side fuse box).Does the same thing.(make sure your A\C is on)Thats one of the reasons lexus recomends you never turn your A\C off.
clive
You're saying that Lexus recommends A/C on all the time, even winter?! Is it in the owner's manual ( just lazy to check)?
Old 03-07-02, 10:39 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

My GS4 also idles at around 400. I thought it was low also, but it has never stalled. Didn't know it was for ULEV.

I spoke to my senior Lexus tech about this the other day. They all seem to idle low. It's not related to cars with mods. The Lexus techs who own GS4s also in the same situation, nothing they can do. It has been brought to corporate through dealership channels, but no action. I guess if it doesn't stall, Lexus feels no action is reqd.

If we feel it's a justified concern, we can collectively send our suggestion/comments to Lexus.
Old 03-07-02, 06:31 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

After the engine gets to operating temp. the idle decreases to about 400 RPM and shakes slightly. This is not correct and Lexus should come up with a fix!

Quick Reply: RPM too low when idling at "D"