GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Super sensitve gas pedal, is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 05:20 PM
macz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super sensitve gas pedal, is it just me?

99 GS300: It's hard take off smoothly from a dead stop, the car wants jump. The lexus mechanic told me there is a lag time between pressing the gas and the computer sending it's signal....also he said nothing could be done to fix this, and it's common to all the early model GS300s....hmmm...say it's not so!

Anyone else experienced this?
Old 05-14-08, 05:30 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah bro, that happends to me sometimes, times when i been driving for awhile. i kelpted thinking my trany was going bad, so i changed my trany fluid and that still happend at times nothing changed. when it happends I would have to rev up to around 2000 rpm then i feel a real slight jerk then it would start going. it happends when i stop real quick and start to want to go. anyone know a fix for this? or is it my driving?
Old 05-14-08, 05:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by macz
99 GS300: It's hard take off smoothly from a dead stop, the car wants jump. The lexus mechanic told me there is a lag time between pressing the gas and the computer sending it's signal....also he said nothing could be done to fix this, and it's common to all the early model GS300s....hmmm...say it's not so!

Anyone else experienced this?
have your throttle position sensor checked. Your actual throttle depends on how the TPS is set.
Old 05-14-08, 05:40 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
have your throttle position sensor checked. Your actual throttle depends on how the TPS is set.
where can you get it done at besides the DEALER. aka the RIPPOFFER. lol. btw sorry for thread jacking.
Old 05-14-08, 05:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Any place that has an ODBII scanner should be able to take a reading of the TPS. You need the TPS to be adjusted within a certain voltage range. I dont know the specific range for the GS300.
Old 05-14-08, 06:37 PM
macz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll have the TPS checked. My sensitve gas pedal is not an intermittent thing, it's always that way.
Old 05-14-08, 06:37 PM
chrispy
Forum Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Henry, I have the same problem. Try driving my car sometime. It jumps from a stop and it's not smooth.
Old 05-14-08, 06:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I'll drive it sometimes. Funny because mine doesn't jump up from a stop. I know in Long's SC300, his car JUMPs off the line with very little pedal effort. I think I'm going to adjust mine tonight.
Old 05-14-08, 06:47 PM
macz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chrispy
Henry, I have the same problem. Try driving my car sometime. It jumps from a stop and it's not smooth.
You and I have the exact same problem! The lexus mechanic said he has heard the complaint a lot over the years, he also said the problem was corrected in the later models. I just found it hard to believe that a high end car would have such jerky acceleration from a dead start. Oh yeah, he said I'd get use to it in time....hmmmm. Love the car though.

macz
Old 05-14-08, 06:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

The later models are fully drive by wire. My guess is that Lexus programmed the car
differently where as the previous years are partially drive by wire. We have electric motors that will turn the throttle plate and that motor will turn depending on where we set the TPS and how much pedal we put down.
Old 05-14-08, 07:09 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah drive by wire sucks. It makes me want to mash the gas pedal from a dead stop everytime. Reset your ECU, it is temporary but it helps with the lag.
Old 05-14-08, 07:09 PM
macz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
The later models are fully drive by wire. My guess is that Lexus programmed the car
differently where as the previous years are partially drive by wire. We have electric motors that will turn the throttle plate and that motor will turn depending on where we set the TPS and how much pedal we put down.
Thanks for explaining the difference in how the throttles operate. I'll have the TPS checked. Hopefully they can removed the throttle lag.

macz
Old 05-14-08, 07:12 PM
macz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
Yeah drive by wire sucks. It makes me want to mash the gas pedal from a dead stop everytime. Reset your ECU, it is temporary but it helps with the lag.
How do you reset the ECU. Is it by removing the negative battery lead for about 30 seconds?
Old 05-14-08, 07:18 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macz
How do you reset the ECU. Is it by removing the negative battery lead for about 30 seconds?
A couple of minutes should do it.
Old 05-14-08, 07:45 PM
macz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
A couple of minutes should do it.
I'll do that tomorrow and see what happens.

Btw will my personal settings change or default once I lose power? I don't know the proper name for these setting, but I'm talking about the personal preferences set at the dealership, such as steering wheel retracting when ignition is turned off, daytime running lights on or off......etc

macz

Quick Reply: Super sensitve gas pedal, is it just me?