GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Very Loud Buzzing Noise After Cranking Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-08, 01:24 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to think it might be ignition related.

Although I hear the buzzing every single time the key goes in the ignition, on some occasions when I start driving, the pitch gets higher from hitting the gas. It has done this a couple times in the last week. I hit the gas and the pitch gets higher, I hit the brake and it gets lower. It doesn't always do this, but I ALWAYS get the constant 25 pound bee behind the dash.

Originally Posted by gs-ireland
Check your ABS pump! What may be happening is when you pump the pedal, you are pushing fluid against the pump, hence the tone change! The pump will normally activate for 5-30 secs, depending on how much air is in your brake system.

The ABS pump does not operate everytime if the ABS pressure reservoir is still pressurized eg: if you turned the engine off for 1-2 mins . It will activate after the engine was off for at least 10-30 mins
It does it regardless if the engine has been off for 3 hours or 3 seconds

Last edited by Ckroush; 06-12-08 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-12-08, 10:51 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ckroush
I'm starting to think it might be ignition related.

Although I hear the buzzing every single time the key goes in the ignition, on some occasions when I start driving, the pitch gets higher from hitting the gas. It has done this a couple times in the last week. I hit the gas and the pitch gets higher, I hit the brake and it gets lower. It doesn't always do this, but I ALWAYS get the constant 25 pound bee behind the dash.

It does it regardless if the engine has been off for 3 hours or 3 seconds
once again...are you missing hot air on one side of the car?
Old 06-17-08, 01:02 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

Originally Posted by ElitistK
once again...are you missing hot air on one side of the car?
I don't know, it's been around 95 degrees just about every day here in Charlotte, and I haven't been in the mood for a heat stroke. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow, so I'll be sure and let everyone know what they conclude.
Old 06-17-08, 01:05 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He's right, it's the servo motor, now it's just a matter of finding the correct part # and replacement instructions.

I know mine is failing because at times last winter, I wouldn't get any heat from the driver's side vents and would just close them using the heat from the passenger side.
Old 06-17-08, 01:07 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
He's right, it's the servo motor, now it's just a matter of finding the correct part # and replacement instructions.

I know mine is failing because at times last winter, I wouldn't get any heat from the driver's side vents and would just close them using the heat from the passenger side.
I think you guys are right. After a little research, I saw that the noise people have been hearing before the servo motor goes completely bad is the rat in the dash sound. I've been hearing it for about a year now and haven't done anything about it.

How much is the motor and what are the correct part numbers. How hard is the installation? If it's at the dealership, I'm sure they'll discover it and charge me four times the price and then 906.00 an hour for labor.

Last edited by Ckroush; 06-17-08 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-17-08, 01:18 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ckroush
I think you guys are right. After a little research, I saw that the noise people have been hearing before the servo motor goes completely bad is the rat in the dash sound. I've been hearing it for about a year now and haven't done anything about it.

How much is the motor and what are the correct part numbers. How hard is the installation? If it's at the dealership, I'm sure they'll discover it and charge me four times the price and then 906.00 an hour for labor.

I don't know, I'm looking for that information myself. My problem is intermittent and hasn't been enough of an issue for me to really research it (plus my extended warranty expired a month ago ).

I'm gonna guess that it's somewhere on this page:

Sewell
Old 06-20-08, 01:19 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

You guys were definately right on the servo motor. I took it to this Toyota Dealership up the road from me. I wasn't far off on the price, and I was being sarcastic. They wanted to charge me $670. I told them what they could do with the $600+. I actually politely told the guy that I'm hearing different prices on the Lexus forums. I've read $180 for the part and two hours labor.

He told me he would check some things out and see what he could do.
He said he would call me soon and let me know what he could work out.

There is no way I'm going to pay that much. I've been using this dealership and this one guy always cuts me deals, but I don't trust him on this one. I need to be nice though because I still need new ball joints.

Last edited by Ckroush; 06-24-08 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-24-08, 01:58 PM
Ckroush
Rookie

I hate back to back posting, but I'd like to know what you guys' reaction is to the $670 estimate. Have any of you had the same problem, and what prices were you quoted? I read the $180 part price on some RX 330 threads but I'd like to know if maybe that is just specific to the RX.

The service guy at Toyota said the reason the labor was so high was because they have to take the whole dash out. Is this correct?
Old 06-06-09, 12:18 PM
Tangerine6
Driver School Candidate

Default Air Mixer Servo motor

The loud buzz is definitely the air mixer servo motor sticking. It will buzz whether the AC is on or off, and the change in pitch when the brakes are depressed comes from a slight changes in amperage because the brake lights are on. Any electrical draws will change the pitch when turned on/off. It comes from behind the dash, and sounds like a 25lb bumble bee on crack when it gets bad. It can buzz from 10 second to several minutes - although it seems like hours!

I have a 2002 RX300. I was quoted $845 to have the dealership replace it, of which $730 was labor.

Here's the directions, and I've attached three diagrams and the instructions below that may help you fix it, if you want to tackle it yourself:

REMOVE THESE PARTS:
Cowl side trim RH
Front door scuff plate RH
No.2 under cover
Lower No.2 panel

REMOVE AIR OUTLET SERVOMOTOR
Remove the 3 screws and air duct.

Inspect and replace servomotor if defective. reverse instructions to reassemble.
Attached Thumbnails Very Loud Buzzing Noise After Cranking Up-servo1.gif   Very Loud Buzzing Noise After Cranking Up-servo2.gif   Very Loud Buzzing Noise After Cranking Up-dashboard-blowup.gif  
Old 06-06-09, 12:34 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Great post tangerine. But this thread has been covered by sakataj.
Old 06-06-09, 01:29 PM
FLIPMOE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
But this thread has been covered by sakataj.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post4121280
Old 06-07-09, 01:11 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44

dunno how i missed this thread.....but for some reason i NEVER saw it till right now

all the correct part #'s and replacement instructions are in my DIY....
shocked it took so long for anyone to mention it. i still think this is my best/fav DIY. was time consuming but will be helpful to EVERY gs owner eventually and yes even you rx owners...

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Great post tangerine. But this thread has been covered by sakataj.
thanks...

Old 07-24-10, 09:08 AM
City Rider
Driver School Candidate

sakataj's write up is the best guide to tackling this issue...

My servo motor started making itself known about a week ago...It lasts for about 10 seconds upon turning the car on, then goes away...

Anyone know if this noise will progress to a constant buzz?? I figure I can just disconnect it and deal with it when I gather all the parts and find to the time to follow that write-up...

Thank you sakataj for taking the time to post a valuable diy