GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY chrome grill not going the way i want it to!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 02:44 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY chrome grill not going the way i want it to!

Welll i decided after a week i would go ahead and do the DIY chrome grill. Sorry no pix or digi cam.

I go to home depot 3 times!! I bought one stripper wasnt strong enough, went back again bought another one Still wasnt strong enough, And then i looked on CL to see what kind of stripper to use. I saw peoples used Klean Strip. so I go back the 3rd to buy that. Well guess what?? They dont have ANY in a spray can so i bought the one in the big rectangle can with the cap on top and a paint brush.I was hoping for the spray can so i can evenly apply it!

Well that worked alot better but it would not take off all the paint from the tiny cracks in the grill. I applied that stuff like 3 times in those area to take it off and it did not work. I was soo pissed off so i said hell with it. The grill is like 90% done and chrome but between the spokes at the top and bottom is not complete it looks either like the chrome is striped or the paint is still there b.t the spokes that is.

Its hot as hell outside so i said hell with it let me post up on here and seee what you guys have to say about this.

i was supposed to look at some rims today but i couldnt since my crappy grill took so long. im thinking of just buying a grill off someone on the boards. ONE i dont have to paint. i just hope i can just remove the rest of the paint if it isnt the chrome that is wahts peeled
Old 06-14-08, 02:53 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If chrome's peeled, you should see a yellowy plastic, I think, at least that's what I saw, I tried to stripped it, doesn't work, and the grille's cracked anyways, so I just painted it black but left the chrome ring... looks alright, sooner or later I'll buy a 01+ grille from Lexus with the badge, quoted $300CND from the Lexus dealer here...
Old 06-14-08, 02:57 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

well its not yellow it just looks like dark silver/gray color. i dont want to paint it blac either b.c i dont think it would go with the color of my car. Black cherry pearl. Need chrome lol. I found one on ebay for 50 bux with out the Lexus logo if my grill is jacked!
Old 06-14-08, 02:58 PM
Nick 2jz
Driver School Candidate

I used Gasket "N" Stripper. It came in a spray can. It was in the house I do not know what store i purchased it from.

I sprayed it on and used steel wool to get it off. the top turned out great. And the insides took a little elbow grease to get it looking sharp but it worked great for me.

It takes some time and sweat... sometimes blood if your not carefull.
Old 06-14-08, 03:14 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nick 2jz
I used Gasket "N" Stripper. It came in a spray can. It was in the house I do not know what store i purchased it from.

I sprayed it on and used steel wool to get it off. the top turned out great. And the insides took a little elbow grease to get it looking sharp but it worked great for me.

It takes some time and sweat... sometimes blood if your not carefull.
man i already went through that part ... im tired i dont want to mess with it today. its ok looking but i should HD also had some rustoleum stripper i should have tried that or something. The paint brush method SUCKS!!
Old 06-14-08, 04:57 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patience my man, It took me a couple nights of my spare time to get it perfect. I used steel whool in the hard to get places and even the easy places and it came out great but you have to keep it wet while your doing it.
You cant rush it.
Old 06-14-08, 05:41 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

i spent a total of what ummmmmmmmmmm 8 hours on the grill. Well that does include the driving back and forth ! but i guess ill use the woollite! soon
Old 06-14-08, 07:10 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Use goo gone, q tips, a dirty towel, and steal wool
Old 06-14-08, 07:14 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't understand how everyone has so much trouble with this. I've chromed a 98-00 grill which takes a lot more time. For some reason the paint on the older grills don't come off as easily. Take most of it off with the stripper and then use q-tips with goo gone to get the leftovers. Be patient!
Old 06-14-08, 07:27 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

well thank god i got some goo gone at me house welll i dont know i try it tomorrw
Old 06-14-08, 07:32 PM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear that it didnt come out man, mine didnt either, so dont feel too bad. I used the same brand of paint stripper you used, only i found some in a spray can. When i did mine, the paint stripper worked too well, and actually took off some of the chrome in spots. My grille looks like total crap right now, but soon i will get around to sanding it all down to the white plastic and painting it gloss black (to match my car). Depending on how much i like that, i might keep it for a while, but my end goal is to sell it and buy a black chrome grill and emblem.
Old 06-14-08, 07:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

98-00 grill is definitely crappy to DIY.

If I had money and really liked the 98-00 grills, then I would strip it of as much as possible and find a shop to chrome dip it. Doing that will raise your baller status by 15 points.