GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can I put Gen 2 or higher Nav in my GS400?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 09:54 PM
HondaH8r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I put Gen 2 or higher Nav in my GS400?

I have a 99 GS4 w/Gen 1 Nav....I'd love to trade it out for a Lexus DVD based system. Is this possible?? Couldn't I just swap out the Nav units since the DVD drive is behind the screen??

Any help is appreciated!!
Old 06-17-08, 02:04 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dvd drive for dvd based GS nav is in the trunk, not behind the screen. it would honestly probably be cheaper and a lot easier for you to just buy a new aftermarket headunit that has built in nav.

also, you hate hondas, but saturns are ok? you're funny.
Old 06-17-08, 08:16 PM
HondaH8r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by louiegs400
i belive you got a hard drive
they sell a up dated hard drive
you have to swap it up dated one is around $360
if you do not send your hard drive is around $800
i was trying to avoid the HD swap all together but keep a stock look. i thought the DVD drive was behind the screen on the gen 2 and up navis. i thought wrong...lol. the only thing i don't like about the gen 1 nav....besides the latest update is 05....is how old the graphics look on it and you can't crack it to edit your destination while you drive.

i guess i'll just end up getting the hd update (my local dealer quoted me $260) and get the NAVTOOL for it w/a PS3.

i don't like the look of aftermarket setups.....just looks like it doesnt belong....doesn't have the clean look to me
Old 06-17-08, 08:38 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HondaH8r
i don't like the look of aftermarket setups.....just looks like it doesnt belong....doesn't have the clean look to me

i had an eclipse headunit with nav in my last gs... you can make them look pretty clean...

the choice is obviously all yours tho, good luck with the upgrade...

whats up with this crack for the dvd based stock nav you mentioned?
Old 06-17-08, 10:32 PM
HondaH8r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
i had an eclipse headunit with nav in my last gs... you can make them look pretty clean...

the choice is obviously all yours tho, good luck with the upgrade...

whats up with this crack for the dvd based stock nav you mentioned?
its where you can change your destination when you are moving as opposed to stopped. plus i have the stock tape deck along with the nav which is separate from the screen and it's controls....how would that look with an aftermarket setup....the non-nav GS models look good w/an aftermarket setup?? would the tape deck work still??
Old 06-17-08, 10:39 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Having worked in the Car Audio industry for 15+ plus years.. I would go with an aftermarket Nav. I have an Alpine Nav unit in my GS but if you want the same functions as Lexus - go with Eclipse - Lexus uses the exact mapping system and functions as Eclipse - in actuality Lexus contracts Eclipse to build Lexus its Nav systems the last time I checked.. so there you go..
Old 06-17-08, 11:33 PM
HondaH8r
Driver School Candidate

you hate hondas, but saturns are ok? you're funny.
the saturn i own will and does run circles around the GS400.......so um.....yeah...funny as it sounds....a 17K car can smoke a damn 50K car!! i said i love my lexus.....doesn't mean i'm racing it

do your homework....i have almost 300hp to the wheels in a car that weighs 800lbs less than my Lex. Which will win??

I have my fun car and my cruisin car. Love both for different reasons
Old 06-17-08, 11:47 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

its where you can change your destination when you are moving as opposed to stopped. plus i have the stock tape deck along with the nav which is separate from the screen and it's controls....how would that look with an aftermarket setup....the non-nav GS models look good w/an aftermarket setup?? would the tape deck work still??

my bad, i was thinking of the non nav models and how easy they are to add a double din deck to... the factory nav dash does really look like it would be a pain to modify now that i think of mine..

and i know what the crack does, i wanted to know how to do it in a gs430..
Old 06-17-08, 11:54 PM
HondaH8r
Driver School Candidate

my bad, i was thinking of the non nav models and how easy they are to add a double din deck to... the factory nav dash does really look like it would be a pain to modify now that i think of mine..

and i know what the crack does, i wanted to know how to do it in a gs430..
depending on the DVD update you have.....you go to the nav volume screen.....tap the speaker icon in the upper left corner....then tap the lower left corner.....repeat a few times and a menu will show up to unlock it.

thats what i understand

gen 1 nav setups don't have a separate volume menu....it's on the main menu screen
Old 06-17-08, 11:54 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

the saturn i own will and does run circles around the GS400.......so um.....yeah...funny as it sounds....a 17K car can smoke a damn 50K car!! i said i love my lexus.....doesn't mean i'm racing it

do your homework....i have almost 300hp to the wheels in a car that weighs 800lbs less than my Lex. Which will win??

I have my fun car and my cruisin car. Love both for different reasons

do my homework? no, go chill out dude. i dont care how fast your saturn is, i never said a word about hp figures or made any comparison between it and your lexus at all, anywhere. dont even know where in the hell you came up with the fuel for that random tangent you just went off on. i was laughing about your username. the end.
Old 06-17-08, 11:56 PM
HondaH8r
Driver School Candidate

do my homework? no, go chill out dude. i dont care how fast your saturn is, i never said a word about hp figures or made any comparison between it and your lexus at all, anywhere. dont even know where in the hell you came up with the fuel for that random tangent you just went off on. i was laughing about your username. the end.
ok my bad it thought you were like most people that actually laugh at the fact that i drive a saturn and don't like hondas at all. sorry i get crap for it all the time.....99% of the time. just keepin it real....know what i mean?