GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

0-60 in 4.8-5.0 ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 11:54 PM
LexFather

Sorry but IS 350 is an easy 13 second 1/4 mile car and a low 5 second car. I get spanked at the drag all day by IS 350s and its not close actually.
Old 06-25-08, 04:08 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In response to I-FLY-GS4,,, i always thought this same thing (is it worth it on an otherwise stock engine, right?) well according to GS-Fonzy's dyno chart on a apparently stock gs400 only with fuel controller there was a gain of about 15hp and 40 torque. I had no idea this would happen but correct me if i am wrong gs-fonzy...
Old 06-25-08, 06:45 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

I'm gonna second what somebody else said about weight. If you want a GS4 to pull a sub-5 second run without FI, I think shedding lbs has to be in the equation.

Firstly, is the car going to be a daily driver or a track car? Cuz you could remove the backseat, AC, radio, spare tire, hell take out the whole interior and sit on a milk crate. Maybe get the curb weight down to 3000ish? Couple that with a TQ and LSD... maybe?

They did this a few decades ago with one of the old cadillac land yachts. It ran a 1/4 in like 26 seconds, even though it had a huge honkin powerful V8 under the hood, but weighed more than a bus. So they stripped it. 1/4 mile in 22 seconds! The took some more crap off. 18 seconds. By the end of this experiment, the driver was honest to god sitting on a milk crate running 12's
Old 06-25-08, 06:59 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
I'm gonna second what somebody else said about weight. If you want a GS4 to pull a sub-5 second run without FI, I think shedding lbs has to be in the equation.

Firstly, is the car going to be a daily driver or a track car? Cuz you could remove the backseat, AC, radio, spare tire, hell take out the whole interior and sit on a milk crate. Maybe get the curb weight down to 3000ish? Couple that with a TQ and LSD... maybe?

They did this a few decades ago with one of the old cadillac land yachts. It ran a 1/4 in like 26 seconds, even though it had a huge honkin powerful V8 under the hood, but weighed more than a bus. So they stripped it. 1/4 mile in 22 seconds! The took some more crap off. 18 seconds. By the end of this experiment, the driver was honest to god sitting on a milk crate running 12's
Hahah I assume he wants to keep the GS as a GS and have it run quicker with bolt-on's.

In which case, it's simply not going to happen without FI.
Old 06-25-08, 07:06 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

LOL, but I'd die to see somebody post some pics of a stripped GS at the track. You might be able to do it, race it, undo it, and have a cool timeslip souvenir!
Old 06-25-08, 07:06 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i'm waiting to see what engine they put in the up and coming gs-f then i want to see how much to drop that in mine. i guess originally they were debating between a v-8 TT and a v-10 na, all i can find lately is talk about the na v-10 but i would prefer a twin turbo v-8 personally. hell maybe by then i will just get the damn gs-f. i wonder what the price tag would look like??
Old 06-25-08, 07:18 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sojah
i'm waiting to see what engine they put in the up and coming gs-f then i want to see how much to drop that in mine. i guess originally they were debating between a v-8 TT and a v-10 na, all i can find lately is talk about the na v-10 but i would prefer a twin turbo v-8 personally. hell maybe by then i will just get the damn gs-f. i wonder what the price tag would look like??
Where did you hear that Lexus was considering a V8-TT or na V-10?

The one sure thing about Lexus is that they're never sure about anything until it comes out. Don't get your hopes up with a V8-TT. I'll bet you a buffalo nickel that Lexus would rather badge a Scion TC a Lexus model than have a FI motor in their cars.

Lexus could've produced the GS460 to run low or sub 5 sec times but again, they screwed it up and had a 4.6L V8 produce only 342 hp and 339 lbs of torque. That's a jump of 42 hp and 14 lbs of torque from an engine they designed over 10 years ago. It ran a best time (that I've seen) of 5.4 0-60. Which means, the average driver would probably get a best time somewhere in the 5.5-5.7 range which is TERRIBLE considering this car is coming out in 2008 and it's no better than a 98 GS4.

The 3rd Gen GS has been mistake after mistake from Lexus starting with the design. It's started to grow on me but it definitely lacked the "WOW" factor the 2nd Gen GS brought to the scene. The GS350 and 450h are reasonable. But debuting a 3rd Gen GS with the GS300 model and a GS430 with the same 4.3 3uz-fe was ridiculous.
Old 06-25-08, 07:32 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually what can we strip in the GS? I mean there's not much we can do...
trunk floor and lining + first aid kit
rear spoiler
trunk tail lights
spare tire and tools
subwoofer (and amp if you have a after market one)
rear seats + seat belts
rear deck
2 C pillar panels
rear door panels
center console (but leave the wood piece with the buttons in unless you take the vsc button and pwr button out to leave it connected)
ash tray
glove box
floor mats
passenger side door panel (I don't know if you have to roll he windows up or down so maybe driver side have to be left in
passenger side head rest (I think passenger seat have to be left in?)
engine cover
grille

I think that's it?
Old 06-25-08, 07:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

We can shed off weight by using lighter parts on our cars.

Carbon fiber hood
Carbon fiber trunk lid
lighter spring/shock or coilovers
lighter wheels
replace seats with racing seats (will save at least 100lbs)
Remove spare tire and oem jack

I'm sure there are more things you can do to get our car on a diet. It just depends how much luxury you're willing to give up.
Old 06-25-08, 07:49 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Passenger seat could be removed, and replace 4 windows with nets
Old 06-25-08, 07:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i have heard that just by taking out the back seats plus driver and passenger front seats and replacing driver seat with a racing seat that you can reduce like 350 lbs alone. spare + tools + rear door panels + rear sub and deck and amp is like another 100+ pounds. thats about 500 lbs's right there. move the battery to the rear (over the back wheels) would free up more weight and add a little more to the rear tire traction and make the weight distribution a little better. this car supposedly weighs in at 3675 lbs stock. you could get it down to 3k fairly easily like someone else mentioned. put some really lighweight rims and tires up front and you would be pretty quik...
Old 06-25-08, 07:56 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Jeez, i'm practically drooling over this idea now. I bet you could strip it pretty solid in 6-10 hours on a saturday, race saturday night, and then put it all back together on sunday! It'd be a really fun experiment.
Old 06-25-08, 07:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It shouldn't take 6-10 hours. More like 1-2 hours. I can strip my interior in 30 minutes. There isn't much to take out. The backseat probably weighs about 15lbs or so. The front seats are the heavy ones!!
Old 06-25-08, 08:17 AM
Blk 350
Rookie

Here is a site that shows what you can accomplish when you strip a car down, but it is not a Lexus, it is a Sentra.

http://www.daleholley.com/nissan.htm
Old 06-25-08, 10:39 AM
sadiqtt
Driver School Candidate

wow. i would never strip all that stuff outta my gs400.
if it's sub 5 second 0-60s you are after don't bother tearing apart your GS400...just get a 1993 LT1 Camaro for about $4,000 put some bolt-ons, drag radials, and you'd be running sub 5 second 0-60 all freaking day.
Drive the Camaro when you wanna go fast and the Lexus when you a smooth, quick, and very luxurious car.

Quick Reply: 0-60 in 4.8-5.0 ? ? ?