GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What size spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 07:46 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What size spacers?

Here's the rundown, I've got 20x8.5 and 20x9.5 with a 44 offset all around; 245/35 and 275/30 Falken 452's and dropped on DF210's (2" front and 1.5" rear), basically no fender gap in front, very very small gap in rear.

They don't look "bad" by my standards but I'd kinda like them to be a little more aggresive, not VIP flush and I'm not willing to switch tires, but it seems like I've got quite a bit of space to come out with minor fender mods and it'd improve the look quite a bit. I've never used spacers before and am a bit leery but am considering my options on getting them pushed out a little farther.

Does anyone make good hubcentric 10 mm spacers and would they generally require extended studs? 15 mm would be the equivalant of a +29 offset, how much trouble would this be with these tire sizes? It looks like the rears would be cake, a mild shave should be all it takes but I'm not sure about the fronts.

I took some pictures a few minutes ago that I'll try to get up that may be helpful, let's see if I can get my POS camera to cooperate.
Old 06-25-08, 09:53 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the same boat.

I need some too.

I could be wrong but if your current off set's are +44

then adding a lets say 10mm spacer, would equal your offset to be +34

I could be wrong though. It jjust makes sense to mee
Old 06-25-08, 09:55 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Tape a string with a weight on the end to your fender. Then you can measure how much you can push them out.
Old 06-25-08, 11:10 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd go with 10mm in the front and rear....that will push it to +34mm all around....which should be near flush with fenders....assuming small neg. camber.

Project KICS spacers have pressed-in bolts...you just bolt-on to your existing hub. They sell hubcentric 60.10mm core separately...not sure if available in 10mm...but definitely in 15mm spacers and up. The only issue is whether your wheels have indented spacing to allow your stock bolts to extend into the wheel....most JDM wheels have this spacing. If not, then you need to go with H&R spacers and swap out your OEM bolts with the longer bolts by H&R.

Good luck.

Pete
Old 06-25-08, 12:16 PM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a similar thread, but I have 20x8.5 all around...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=361538

I also bought te df210 too, but haven't had time to install it yet...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=359045

Make sure to take before and after pics if you get the spacers installed.

Do you happen to have any pics right now with the df210 installed?
Old 06-25-08, 01:11 PM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

You could go down as much as 20MM and still be fine. I'm at +24 in the back and am looking to push it out 5MM more. I'm at +19 in the front, but that has required cutting the fender. Running -2 degrees of camber.

All to say is that 10-15MM will give you a little more aggressive look without any problem, but it won't be flush... as long as you know that, then go for it.

Post before and afters when your done!
Old 06-25-08, 05:26 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys, I'm gonna look into the H&R with extended bolts, I don't think the ones with the pressed in bolts will work with my wheels, the mounting surface extends out for the lugnuts from a small disc rather than having a full round disc and I don't think there's clearance for the stock bolts, plus it'd drive me crazy if the stock bolts are visible.

I'll make another attempt to get the pics up in a minute, something's not working right.

SHiZNiLTi, I'm waiting to do a thorough detail and figure out whether I'm gonna do the spacers before I take any pictures, then I'll look for a few spots to do a little photoshoot. I need to find somebody with a good camera and some photography skills too; I don't really have either. You should be real happy with the DF210's, with the "fat" tire setup on 20's there's pretty much no fender gap and I've had no driveability issues, only scraped the car once and that was my own fault, I haven't had to be overly careful. You'll be amazed how much of a difference it makes in the look of the car!

Lettuce, I think you're correct on the offset equivalants as far as fender clearance, in my case 10 mm would be equal to a 34 and 15 mm would be equal to a 29 offset in relation to the fender. Makes sense to me too.

Would 10 mm spacers usually require extended bolts? If I'm remembering correctly you need 8 turns of the lug nut to be safe?

Thanks again everybody!
Old 06-25-08, 06:48 PM
RICHYRICH
Pole Position

I know u guys can help me..I have +40 on the front with a 20 x 8.5 and just installed some supra caliper and the wheels don't clear the caliper...when i put a spacer on it the lugs don't catch the studs...what do I do....I don't like spacers but don't mind em and I drive in some beat up streets so i DON'T WANT TO GET A NICE NEW SET....Help
Old 06-25-08, 06:53 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally Posted by RICHYRICH
I know u guys can help me..I have +40 on the front with a 20 x 8.5 and just installed some supra caliper and the wheels don't clear the caliper...when i put a spacer on it the lugs don't catch the studs...what do I do....I don't like spacers but don't mind em and I drive in some beat up streets so i DON'T WANT TO GET A NICE NEW SET....Help
You definitely need to get spacer with new longer bolts....I say 10mm....you should be nice and flush with fenders.
Old 06-25-08, 06:55 PM
RICHYRICH
Pole Position

i would be able to use the same wheels ?
Old 06-25-08, 07:21 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Yeah, you can use the same wheels; you just need to figure out how much space you need to clear the calipers and put the spacers on, as you found out you may need longer studs depending on the spacer. There's also the design that PHML referenced earlier in this thread that may work with your wheels if you can use the 15 mm. If you just need 5 mm you shouldn't need extended studs. How thick are the spacers you tried on there and how much extra space would you have between the back of the wheel and the caliper with those spacers?

You'll probably want to put spacers on the rears too so that they don't look too "sunken in" in contrast to the fronts with the spacers.
Old 06-25-08, 07:26 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally Posted by RICHYRICH
i would be able to use the same wheels ?
Depends on your wheels...does your wheels have spacing like this? Thats where your stock studs will need spacing if you decide on using a spacer with pressed-in longer bolts.

If you go with H&R spacers...you need to replace your OEM bolts...so no worries about the wheel spacing in the pic above.

Pete
Old 06-26-08, 04:05 PM
RICHYRICH
Pole Position

well after I put the brakes on last week i found that the wheels would not fit...I gade some spacers from my old camry that i had in my garage...not sure the size but in inch its a 1/4 of an inch..so that may be about a 5 to 6 mm spacer...when the spacer was on and attached the wheel the 1st or 2 nd thread would catch only....I dont remember if the wheel was at the fender well or not...I have a guy that says he has some lug nuts that will catch the threads is this an option ?
Old 06-26-08, 05:42 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

The lug nuts shouldn't be the problem and if they are the right type for the wheels I don't think switching them will help, you'll need longer bolts. I've heard it's either 6 or 8 turns of the lug nut for it to be safe.