GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SAFC/// Fuel Controller time// MPG + // HP TQ +

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 04:45 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SAFC/// Fuel Controller time// MPG + // HP TQ +

So I am not a noob, but i'm no gear head in the sense either. I have been researching a little about these SAFC or FUEL CONTROLLERS right and all I can find is positive stuff.. Most folks usually have a turbo or supercharger to take full advantage of these but I have read on this forum of folks with just intake, exhaust, and some with or without headers getting from 15-20 hp and 35-40 tq with just adding a fuel controller and having it tuned a little at a local shop.

Apparently they can even save you some money in added mpg's as well. Sign me up! I had no idea there was something for less than a grand that could give me increased performance and added mpg's at the same time. I guess these thing are around 200-300$ plus install and tuning up to another $300. I was curious as to which fuel controller is best and what the cons of adding one of these things was??? What kind of mpg gains are possible with these as well. I avg. 21 mpg (did the math this morning) right now, mostly highway though.

There are always negatives with every mod, so what are the negatives about adding a fuel controller?? Will resetting the ECU every two weeks screw up the fuel controller, or does the fuel controller take the place of the ecu therefore not needing to be reset every other weekend?

Fifthly, are headers really loud on the inside of the car when driving normal, stop n' go, accelerating, highway cruising speed (75 in cruise), mashing on the gas??
Old 06-25-08, 05:59 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
So I am not a noob
OH, but you are

Get a safc, safc2 or safc neo and enjoy the added power, it's that simple
Old 06-26-08, 04:31 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

grrrr... if you weren't the fonzz i would have to think of something witty to reply back with but its the fonz so there really isn't anything you could say...

plug n' play huh? well i shall get one and find out then. if it is so simple how come these are not more prevalent.? i mean you can see em in just about every fi vehicle out there (aftermarket at least) but i can't remember ever hearing of such power gains in a NA setup. werd fonz thanks for the recommendations.
Old 06-26-08, 05:43 AM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plug and play huh....maybe after you solder twenty something wires with clips on each end. haha, all piggybacks are solder/tap into your ECU. There's still a minimum of tapping even you buy the specific harness for your car (i'm referring to Greddy Ultimate). Newer cars like our GS is on the lean side already from factory COMPARE TO say like the first "gen" SC. You might be able to squeeze some power gain out (assuming everything is factory) if you have a piggyback controller. If you want to save gas, just put an egg under your gas pedal and drive 60 everywhere you go... (just a suggestion, don't flame me)
Old 06-26-08, 05:51 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

well i guess i don't want to save gas as much as not waste as much.. if i can do more (better performance) with less (gas) than that is a win win in my book. yeah plug n play if by that you mean drop it off at a shop and pay, so i guess pay and play would have been a better metaphor to use.

the dyno posted up 2 days ago by fonz i think showed a gs400 with only the fuel controller nothing else and it was like 15 hp+ and something ridiculous like 40 tq+ all in the low end so that shiz right there is what got me...

Old 06-26-08, 06:03 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Fifthly, are headers really loud on the inside of the car when driving normal, stop n' go, accelerating, highway cruising speed (75 in cruise), mashing on the gas??
NO. Headers did not increase noise inside the car! And this should be in the performance section!
Old 06-26-08, 07:10 AM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that is an extremely good gain for a simple mod... i think it just sealed the deal on me getting one...
Old 06-26-08, 09:04 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should save yourself the headache of getting an afc and having it dynoed, tuned etc.... SRT makes an intake that comes with a piggyback ecu pre-tuned for your car as well as a full intake, filter and heat shield. Do a search on the forum for SRT Intake, you will find it's one of the best bang for the buck mods and I think they are only $449. Another plus is SRT is in Maryland (Beltsville) so you can just go pick it up and or have it installed in one shot, takes them about an hour to install it, they also have an in-house dyno if you wanted to see the before and after results so you know for sure you got what you paid for.
Old 06-26-08, 09:39 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

will already having an srt intake + srt ecu thingy make getting a fuel controller redundant?? is the srt ecu already doing all it can tuning wise for a stock gs400 with srt intake and tanabe cat back exhaust??
Old 06-26-08, 09:42 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

It would be redundant, if you go back to Srt and have them custom tune the ecu for your individual car you may be able to pick up a few extra hp. If you were to add an safc you would have to remove the Srt ecu and add the Safc in it's place then have the car retuned anyways...You would be saving quite a bit of $$$ to just have Srt retune the ecu that came with the intake on their dyno.
Old 06-26-08, 02:38 PM
Clifton
Rookie

Without knowing your afr's, an safr or safc might not be needed. You will need a wideband or go to a dyno with one to tune it too. It would be cheapest to get in on a dyno day, usually around $40 for a few pulls and find out were you fuel is. If your afr is under 12.8 n/a then you might get a little more by leaning it out some but not much. If you do get a piggyback, buy your one wideband. Yoi can tune anytime.
Old 06-26-08, 02:48 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i guess i don't want to save gas as much as not waste as much.. if i can do more (better performance) with less (gas) than that is a win win in my book. yeah plug n play if by that you mean drop it off at a shop and pay, so i guess pay and play would have been a better metaphor to use.

the dyno posted up 2 days ago by fonz i think showed a gs400 with only the fuel controller nothing else and it was like 15 hp+ and something ridiculous like 40 tq+ all in the low end so that shiz right there is what got me...

holy crap, thats just with the SAFC?
Old 06-26-08, 02:51 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
holy crap, thats just with the SAFC?
Edit: I went back and read this post and I made a late night goof looking at the Hp, what I meant was......

If you look at that dyno graph at about 4400 rpm you will see a spike in the tq reading, I would cut about 10ft-lb of torque off of that peak hp figure. Still made good gains but you gotta watch for those sneaky dyno operators.

It appears whoever did that dyno tried to be slick and use a lot of smoothing (see how smooth the first run line is compared to the rough line of the high hp run) on the first run and then just a little bit on the "high hp" run so it would make a high peak hp number. Sneaky sneaky

Last edited by macd7919; 06-29-08 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-26-08, 02:55 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont care much for the hp gain but the torque gain is unreal.
Old 06-26-08, 04:48 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
You should save yourself the headache of getting an afc and having it dynoed, tuned etc.... SRT makes an intake that comes with a piggyback ecu pre-tuned for your car as well as a full intake, filter and heat shield. Do a search on the forum for SRT Intake, you will find it's one of the best bang for the buck mods and I think they are only $449. Another plus is SRT is in Maryland (Beltsville) so you can just go pick it up and or have it installed in one shot, takes them about an hour to install it, they also have an in-house dyno if you wanted to see the before and after results so you know for sure you got what you paid for.
Are you an SRT stock share holder

Quick Reply: SAFC/// Fuel Controller time// MPG + // HP TQ +