GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Scrapes Let's Show Them

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 01:53 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy

I guess I shouldn't be the one complaining LOL, but then again, if I don't tidy up the bottom, all the tranny cooler hoses and parts that weren't fasten well (hid ballast) might just fall down and get dragged and pulled off my car.

metal sheets? hmmm.
Old 10-14-10, 08:17 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam430

metal sheets? hmmm.
I wouldn't do metal. Get a Tegris splitter. If you don't know what it is then look up Car Of Tomorrow (NASCAR). Tegris is a proprietary material is is used by NASCAR teams for their front splitter that goes under the front bumper. The material is designed to shed away instead of blowing up or shatter like fiberglass and carbon fiber. In the S-chassis world, these guys has been retrofitting these as splitter and it seems to be holding up really well.

If you see how low those NASCAR guys are riding in their COT then you can see how much punishment the Tegris peice can take.

The best part is that you can pick up a precut Tegris splitter (some used or new) for $5.

I've mocked up one on my GS3 and it is a good fit but will require some trimming.
Old 10-14-10, 09:29 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Agent0024
I wouldn't do metal. Get a Tegris splitter. If you don't know what it is then look up Car Of Tomorrow (NASCAR). Tegris is a proprietary material is is used by NASCAR teams for their front splitter that goes under the front bumper. The material is designed to shed away instead of blowing up or shatter like fiberglass and carbon fiber. In the S-chassis world, these guys has been retrofitting these as splitter and it seems to be holding up really well.

If you see how low those NASCAR guys are riding in their COT then you can see how much punishment the Tegris peice can take.

The best part is that you can pick up a precut Tegris splitter (some used or new) for $5.

I've mocked up one on my GS3 and it is a good fit but will require some trimming.

maybe you can take a pic of it I did a little searching and found this http://www.milliken2.com/MFT/MFThtml...ge/contact.htm

tried looking for sheets also and did not find a precut version.
Old 10-14-10, 10:22 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

maybe you can take a pic of it I did a little searching and found this http://www.milliken2.com/MFT/MFThtml...ge/contact.htm

tried looking for sheets also and did not find a precut version.
The link is actually from the people that owns the right to the material. I can help you source a couple if you'd like.

I've got 2 sitting in the garage right now. These things are stiff as heck but supposedly will retain their form even after severe deformation. The precut version are often from some COT cars or are just precut and unpainted with the intention of going on a COT.

You will not find anything other than the precut splitter without paying out the nose for a blank peice.

The ones I have look exactly like the picture below. It has the appearance of carbon fiber but it is actually a thermoplastic. All you will have to do is cut the piece to the contour of the GS front bumper, mount it to the underside of the aftermarket lip and you will have a cheap and reliable skid plate that wont explode on impact.

Just from eyeballing, the thing is about 0.5" thick when bought new.

More information about Tegris in the link below.
http://www.milliken2.com/MFT/MFThtml.nsf/page/home.htm.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way and I'm not trying to sell anything either.
Old 10-14-10, 10:28 AM
gsjason300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4play4dr
im too scared to look under my car to see the damage
x2 hahahaha my car makes funny sounds on the bottom like somethings loose hahahaha or hanging.
Old 10-14-10, 10:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

I can help you source a couple if you'd like.
you can show me where to source one
Old 10-14-10, 01:00 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
you can show me where to source one
Go here and email them.
http://www.racingmetal.com/
Just tell them that you want a COT front splitter that is not affiliated with any driver. Doing this will save you a few bucks since you're not buying one that may have came from Jeff Gordon car or someone famous. Also make sure that you tell them that you want one that is unpainted.

I bought 2 for $25 shipped to my house.
Old 10-14-10, 01:29 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Go here and email them.
Just tell them that you want a COT front splitter that is not affiliated with any driver. Doing this will save you a few bucks since you're not buying one that may have came from Jeff Gordon car or someone famous. Also make sure that you tell them that you want one that is unpainted.

ty very much...since my TTE lip is now uber rare (especially since mine is still new) i wanna look into protecting it...

emailing them now
Old 10-14-10, 01:42 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lolthxkbye
^^ thats not real.......... Jk it is
lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-10, 02:00 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
ty very much...since my TTE lip is now uber rare (especially since mine is still new) i wanna look into protecting it...

emailing them now
It should be perfect for the TTE lip since the lip has a flat bottom. This is my exact intention of how I was going to use the Tegris splitter. Glad I could help and good luck on the project. Post pictures when you're done.
Old 10-14-10, 02:43 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

It should be perfect for the TTE lip since the lip has a flat bottom. This is my exact intention of how I was going to use the Tegris splitter. Glad I could help and good luck on the project. Post pictures when you're done.
yeah pics will take me a year, although im a shutter bug, since i bought my TTE lip on 10/23/09 it has sat behind my bedroom door still in the new box it came from sewell in only time it ventured out i attempted to sell it but due to high price to ship it i said nevermind, now i wont sell it.
Old 10-14-10, 03:39 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Go here and email them.

Cool, Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely get one at that price...why did you get 2? My research lead to racingmetal too but it came from another forum that mentioned these things were 4'x6' sheet at 500 plus dollars. That looks good though.

I kinda also want to protect the whole engine bottom area too.

Last edited by sam430; 10-14-10 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-14-10, 04:05 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Cool, Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely get one at that price...why did you get 2? My research lead to racingmetal too but it came from another forum that mentioned these things were 4'x6' sheet at 500 plus dollars. That looks good though.

I kinda also want to protect the whole engine bottom area too.
I got 2 because these were intended for my old car that was suppose to see a lot of track duty and I didn't want any downtime waiting for shipping.

You shouldn't have to worry much about the bottom of the engine unless you go jumping railroad tracks and nuke your oil pan on the landing. If you're still set on doing a protective tray for your car then I'd suggest that you go with Alumilite. These has a honeycomb structure sandwiched between two thin sheets of aluminum (tightly bonded). The Alumilite is fairly stiff due to the honeycomb structure and has been used by some of the S-chassis road racers with success.

I don't look at an underbody tray (under the engine all the way to the center line of the front wheels) as protection, but rather for aerodynamics as well as cooling. If you're talking about a skid plate type of deal like them lifted Bro trucks then you can just go with aluminum. Or you can just get a magnesium skid plate like the old F1 cars .
Old 10-15-10, 07:40 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

I don't look at an underbody tray (under the engine all the way to the center line of the front wheels) as protection, but rather for aerodynamics as well as cooling. If you're talking about a skid plate type of deal like them lifted Bro trucks then you can just go with aluminum. Or you can just get a magnesium skid plate like the old F1 cars .
i to thought bout making a under body tray for aerodynamics but lost the time/patience for the idea. plus i would have to add supports into it as without the fender linings and such the front bumper is fairly weak and flexes to much for this to work without supports added.
Old 10-15-10, 11:47 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from the dead -08

Quick Reply: Scrapes Let's Show Them