GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My GS on LS430 16" wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-08, 10:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My GS on LS430 16" wheels.

Ok, so bending quite a few of 17" rim on crappy NYC roads, I decided I've had enough and bought a set of LS430 16 rims. They are also equipped with larger sidewall than whats spec'd for 2GS, the tires are 225/60/16.

Here are some pics. I think the car looks great, and it certainly rides great. Best mod ever!

Last edited by Och; 05-15-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-29-08, 10:24 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont really care for those wheels, they look really old and small.

what happened to the OEM's the GS came with???
Old 06-29-08, 10:27 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

From reading you other thread, I can't agree that it looks better, but kudos to you if it rides better and saves you future headaches of bent wheels.
Old 06-29-08, 10:35 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

As long as you like it. I think it looks odd almost like a Camry or Avalon.

What is that black molding on your (EDIT) Rear Bumper?

Last edited by Debonair; 06-29-08 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-29-08, 10:39 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Debonair
As long as you like it. I think it looks odd almost like a Camry or Avalon.

What is that black molding on your trunk?
a bumper guard? lmao .. i dunno
Old 06-29-08, 10:55 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

same question? what is that black thingy on your rear bumper???

looks odd.
Old 06-29-08, 11:06 PM
dwoods420
Lead Lap

Sorry. Dont like it. Looks funny.
Old 06-29-08, 11:42 PM
skaiyun
Driver

the molding? its NYC!! when i visited everrycar i see, the bumpers are always f-uped. 08 S class? yep someone decieded to park against that bumper
Old 06-29-08, 11:50 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

i can't see any of ur pix. i dont even know wut rims u r talking about
Old 06-30-08, 05:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skaiyun
the molding? its NYC!! when i visited everrycar i see, the bumpers are always f-uped. 08 S class? yep someone decieded to park against that bumper
LOL, QFT!!!!

Some people double and tripple up on the bumper guard molding as well, but thats a bit extreme. I had that molding on the front bumper as well, but it kind of looked tacky... The problem was solved when my wife rear ended some idiot in a Nissan Morano, and the bumper and one of the headlights had to be replaced.

I also had the same bumper guards on my old GS300... God I miss that car.

Last edited by Och; 05-15-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-30-08, 05:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lettuce
I dont really care for those wheels, they look really old and small.

what happened to the OEM's the GS came with???
When I bought the car in 2005 it came with OEM 17" chromies. The only thing I hate more than chrome is George Bush and Nissans, so I took them off and sold them to one of the members here, and bough a set of 06+ GS 17" rims. A month later I bent one and had one replaced. Recently I had two more of them bent, and had them replaced, but at this point I decided that I've had enough. Besides the GS I also have a 94 LS400, which I barely ever drive anymore. So for the time being I took the 16's off the LS, and put them onto the GS, and the 17's are now on the LS. However the GS looked extremely ugly with the old LS wheels, so I decided to pick up a set of LS430 wheels. I also could pick up a set of GS300 factory 16's, but I think they look horrendous.

You can see my LS on my GS rims in these pics... But thats not gonna be for long, I'm putting the OEM 16's back onto the LS as soon as I get to it, and selling off the 17's.

You can also kind of see the GS with old LS 16's in the first pic.

Last edited by Och; 05-15-10 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-30-08, 05:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Allright, as far as the differences in ride if anyone is interested.

First let me start with the negatives.

1) The looks. They are subjective, but 17" do look better. But I still think the car looks great even with the 16's.

2) The tractions. There's not enough of it, especially in rain. The car defenately squeels more on high speed turns, and good luck trying to take off fast if theres any rain... Traction control goes nuts. Of course this can be blamed on the tires - the old 17's had high performance tires for dry and rain weather, while the 16's are equipped with regular all seasons.

3) Less accurate steering. Meaning that on a high speed curve its harded to keep the car where you want it in the lane. The difference however is fairly minor, the GS is a 4000lb pig and never excelled at handlig to begin with.

4) Steering still has zero feedback and is still numb. No difference compared to the 17's.

The positives.

1) No more hassless and worrying about bending rims.

2) The wheels balance is hammered on the edge of the rim instead of being glued onto the inner portion of the rim with two sided tape. This balance will not fall off if you hit a pothole or a bump, but I've seen quite a few of these "stick-on" balances fall off.

3) Less risk your wheels being stolen. Everyone looks to steal 20's, so 16's are safe, lol.

4) Harder to curb them. The sidewall is taller than most curbs, and it sticks out past the face of the rim, so you really have to try to get them curbed.

5) The ride. Sooooo much smoother. Zero vibrations at any speed. I always had vibrations with 17's, and I think its basically because 2GS steering system is so subpar that it cant handle large centrifugal foces caused by larger rims. There's a thread on here about the whole steering columb being loose and shaking at the knuckle, and all of us have this problem, and theres no fix for it. Besides getting a set of small wheels with soft tires that dont shake that column up enough. That being said, the 17's are now on the LS, and there are zero vibrations on the LS with these, so it's not a balance issue. The LS just has much superior steering - its softer and lighter, but the steering column is firm and there's a lot more feedback. My old GS300 steering was also great, firm and responsive, with good feedback. Sorry, but Lexus fubared the steering system on 2GS.

6) The queitness. Low profile tires cause a lot of annoying noise, but 60 series all season tires are quiet! This is a much welcomed improvement.

7) I am able to drive the car at high speeds much more agressively. When I had these vibrations before, the car felt unstable, and swerving in between cars at high speeds was plain out scary. Right now the car is so stable, that its no longer a problem. I behaved like an idiot on Belt Parkway over the weekend, lol, cutting in and out of traffic at 90mph.

8) The car tracks much better. For instance, with low profile tires when you hit a bump, a hole, or whatever road imperfection, the car will try and follow the direction of such imperfection. With these 16's however, the car keeps going straight, you almost do not have to hold the steering wheel when going over rough surface, the car will keep going straight.

Last edited by Och; 06-30-08 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-30-08, 05:41 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it's a start
Old 06-30-08, 05:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

16 inch wheel covers are a no no on a GS lol j/k.

Why not opt for the factory 17's with a fat set up if you're concerned about ride and potential rim damage?
Old 06-30-08, 06:00 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
16 inch wheel covers are a no no on a GS lol j/k.

Why not opt for the factory 17's with a fat set up if you're concerned about ride and potential rim damage?
You mean putting like 55 series tires instead of 45 series onto the 17's? I though about it, but wouldn't it throw my speedo off too much?

At least it still looks better than a TSX

Quick Reply: My GS on LS430 16" wheels.