GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

to believe the dealership or not

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 03:13 AM
jjawaya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to believe the dealership or not

i've posted the problem with my car up before and found out that my car is still under warranty, so i took it in. my car's trans feels like it's slipping in reverse, and only in reverse. the tech at my local lexus told me that he did experience the problem, but there is no fix for it. he even told me that they had the local master tech come and take a look at it. he said, that he has the same model and that it does the same thing, and there's nothing i can do about it. because there are no warning lights or stalling, or whatever happening they can't replace anything. i don't get it. obviously, there's something wrong with my car. they gave me the line "at least we have the issue documented." are they just trying to give me the run around until my warranty is up? i usually trust people, but in this case, i get the feeling that i'm not getting proper service because i didn't purchase the car from them, and there's no money in it for them. someone PLEASE help me. on a good note, i didn't have to pay for taking my car in this time.
Old 07-02-08, 04:11 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's how it works under warranty. until they have some idea of what's actually "bad" they can't replace anything. if they start randomly replacing parts, lexus corp. will bill the dealership for all the work. at least this way, you'll get it taken care of when a fix is figured out, even after your warrnaty is expired because it is documented.
Old 07-02-08, 04:49 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think they are bs'ing you.. if it was not under warranty i am most positive that they would have tried a little harder to figure out what the problem is. they probably would have lied on the opposite end of the spectrum this time saying that i have the same model and it happened on mine and i had to replace the whole tranny = $2500 or so... they seem to only tell you stuff to make you feel better... they have done this to me before as well... keep investigating into what the problem is on your own while it is still under warranty and then take it back and be like this is the problem now fix it...
Old 07-02-08, 06:23 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
i think they are bs'ing you.. if it was not under warranty i am most positive that they would have tried a little harder to figure out what the problem is. they probably would have lied on the opposite end of the spectrum this time saying that i have the same model and it happened on mine and i had to replace the whole tranny = $2500 or so... they seem to only tell you stuff to make you feel better... they have done this to me before as well... keep investigating into what the problem is on your own while it is still under warranty and then take it back and be like this is the problem now fix it...
actually if it weren't under warranty, he would get billed for every hour of diagnostic time and then presented witha quote for a possible repair and the statement "this may or may nt fix it, we think it will but it's possible it won't." it's up to you if you want to do it. that's how it goes with weird problems that aren't causing a real problem yet with no real clues as to what's bad.
Old 07-02-08, 08:07 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

most dealers have no prob doing warranty stuff & don't care where you bought it. factory warranty is good at any lexus dealer. I found when I was under warranty they loved just throwing new parts on and not nit picking little things.

try another dealer.
Old 07-02-08, 08:39 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you know it's slipping in reverse? What is it that you're feeling when you shift into R?
Old 07-02-08, 05:59 PM
BRADSGS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 19psi
that's how it works under warranty. until they have some idea of what's actually "bad" they can't replace anything. if they start randomly replacing parts, lexus corp. will bill the dealership for all the work. at least this way, you'll get it taken care of when a fix is figured out, even after your warrnaty is expired because it is documented.
What he said!
Old 07-03-08, 12:38 AM
jjawaya
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the responses guys!!! call me stupid, but what should i do? should i just take the car in again and claim that the problem is getting worse? i only have about 2000 miles until my warranty is up. i'm in agreement with sojah, i think that they're just bs'n me. to truplaya26, it's a slipping feeling. i know it's not the brakes because i can let go of the brakes and get on the gas and it's still slipping. do you guys think that my reverse gear could be missing some teeth? as unlikely as it sounds, it's possible. i did buy the car used, and don't know what the guy before me did. unfortunatly, there's only one dealership on oahu, hawaii.
Old 07-03-08, 04:50 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude that sucks about only one dealership, but i know there are tons of japanese there and i know they know how to work on toyota/ lexus better than anyone else and you can't beat a japanese person in terms of honesty and customer service. if i were you i would find my *** a good japanese toyota mechanic when your warranty is up and be friends with him/her...