GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Im fed up, I need to get up to gs430 speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 11:15 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Im fed up, I need to get up to gs430 speeds.

HEy guys, I am tired of how slow my gs is. I wonder, what do I need, cheapest way possible, to get gs430 V8 performance? I was at the light one time with a430 by my side. I gunned it when the light turned green but I got smoked badly by the GS430. I was impressed at how fast it was. I was like. I regret not getting a 430. As soon as my car is repaired, I am thinking about mods to the engine. Please help!
Old 07-10-08, 11:26 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm going to say what everybody is going to tell you and that is turbo. However, you did say the cheapest way possible so I would suggest nitrous. You could also do what the IS300 guys are doing and that is to do intake/header/exhaust/camgear/piggyback/cams(newly released from brian crower) and you should be at or more than a stock GS4xx at the wheels. Will you be faster? We won't know 'til you try.
Old 07-10-08, 11:28 PM
avrcguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW. In my opinion the GS300 is the better drive. The GS430 feels like a pig in the turns in comparison. Even with high performance tires the 430 just isn't as fun.

But if you're serious about going fast the upgrade path on the 2jz (as you likely already know) has far more potential then the UZ series V8's. You just have to be willing to spend the money. Of course...having the money helps too.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-10-08, 11:35 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use to feel your pain.....til i went turbo......that basicly took care of it.
Old 07-11-08, 01:12 AM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

u know it's much cheaper to get power from a turbo than build ur engine n/a. i saw ppl selling aristo engine for under 2k after shipping on ebay. get one, dump it in. it will be as fast if not faster than the 430. if u try to get bolt ons, u will not get much performance unless u spend big bux.
Old 07-11-08, 01:21 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Nitrous would be the cheapest way to make that extra power. Othwersie, 2JZ.
Old 07-11-08, 05:30 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nossssssssssss, and turbo
Old 07-11-08, 07:21 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, thanks guys, but does anyone have price ranges and speed boosts I can get? I know nothing about car performance
Old 07-11-08, 07:47 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the cheaper alternatives is to sell your 300 and get a 430. Nitrous kits cost around $500, give or take. However, it's refilling the bottle that adds up in the long run. Correct me if I'm wrong, but after I sold my kit (1.5 years ago) nitrous prices have gone up. It probably costs close to $50 to fill up a 10 lb bottle. I remember it used to be half that in '99.
Old 07-11-08, 07:55 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nitrous will be your best bet. i am running a 125 shot now with headers, and exhaust. i can def hang with the stock gs4s. i am going turbo though hoping to leave them in the dust lol. it's gonna be a long and expensive trip. still doing research before i install everything
Old 07-11-08, 08:19 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

so i have thought about going the nitrous route with like a 75 shot... i never actually thought about the price to refill it. how many 75 shots would you get out of the average size bottle and how much to fill it up? also what are some of the mounting locations for the bottle that somewhat hides it without having to take out the spare tire and without having to sacrifice lots of trunk space...??

basically where could i put the bottle that my wife hopefully won't notice without getting rid of the spare tire? if you had a 12" small sub box in that little space in the trunk behind the rear seat is it possible to shove a bottle back there in that remaining little triangular space on the side of the box, but kinda up underneath the rear deck???
Old 07-11-08, 08:30 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking from my own experience, about 5 good 1/4 mile runs (decent pressure) until the bottle pressure dips too low from the optimum pressure (w/out bottle warmer) with a 10 lb bottle. That is spraying from 2nd gear and higher gears until the end if the track. A bottle heater, bigger bottle, or 2nd bottle (attached via a t-connection) is highly recommended to keep the pressure optimal.

When nitrous was a bit cheaper, I believed I calculated the cost (for nitrous only) to be around $3.50 a run (75 shot).
Old 07-11-08, 08:33 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sojah
so i have thought about going the nitrous route with like a 75 shot... i never actually thought about the price to refill it. how many 75 shots would you get out of the average size bottle and how much to fill it up? also what are some of the mounting locations for the bottle that somewhat hides it without having to take out the spare tire and without having to sacrifice lots of trunk space...??

basically where could i put the bottle that my wife hopefully won't notice without getting rid of the spare tire? if you had a 12" small sub box in that little space in the trunk behind the rear seat is it possible to shove a bottle back there in that remaining little triangular space on the side of the box, but kinda up underneath the rear deck???
i don't know about where you are but it cost about $40 to fill up in Atlanta a 10lb bottle. honestly our cars are so heavy that a 75 shot you will see the difference but you won't feel the difference. you don't get that umph or push back into your seat feeling. here's an example. when i first put in my 75 shot i ran my friend in an IS300 with basically all the same mods minus nitrous. we did a dry run head to head from a 30 roll. he pulled me by 2 cars. then i turned on the bottle and he is na. i took him by 1/2 a car. this is with a 75 shot and you will not feel it at all. but you can see the difference. now with the 125 shot you can definitely feel the pull! pulled him by 2 cars with that set up. now, where ever you mount it you will need to be able to reach it to open/close the bottle, warm it up, etc... unless you spend more money for a remote bottle opener, remote bottle heater. nitrous won't work as well unless you have the right pressure. i keep mine at about 1200psi. you also want the nozzle side of the bottle to face towards the front of the car. this is so that if there is an issue the bottle won't go flying into the car and potentially killing someone inside. you will also need a step colder spark plugs. i have copper top ones. the more nitrous you use the easier your o2 sensors will wear out as well so be prepared for that. another thing you want to invest in is a rpm window switch so that the nitrous does not spray with the fuel unless you are at optimal rpms. if you are still spraying and are red lining it is almost inevitable to blow your motor - detonation! just be careful and do your research.
Old 07-11-08, 08:44 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yessir, if and when i decide to do this i would def. spend the money to have it done proper, as well as the warmer and auto bottle opener and all. the spark plugs is cool, don't know much about the o2 sensors though but i'm sure i would learn if this is the direction i do go in.

i was under the impression that a 125 shot might be a little to powerful for my cars current setup and that a 75 shot would be a lot less strain on everything. i do hear what your saying about the added performance though and appreciate you putting it into perspective.
Old 07-11-08, 08:52 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

yeah i don't spray obsessively and i only use it at Wide Open Throttle. Just have to be careful

Quick Reply: Im fed up, I need to get up to gs430 speeds.