GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Unsuccessful BC Cam install - NEED INPUT

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 03:57 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah we took one look and it is obvious
Old 07-13-08, 04:05 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.
Senior Moderator

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds to me like you guys didnt get the timing marks set up correctly when installing everything. Im 99.9% sure you starter trick didnt hurt the engine (unless you had the belt or tentioner off as previously stated). I have done the starter trick a hundred times with no problems. Either way, ouch.
Old 07-13-08, 06:17 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

yeah glad it isn't my car lol, i think it also had to do with having three people on one project. one of us most likely slipped up with the others unknowing.
Old 07-13-08, 07:00 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so when something like this happens, who foots the bill?
Old 07-13-08, 08:49 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

the owner is paying. we were just helping
Old 07-13-08, 09:03 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure you lined up the crank pulley and the timing marks on the cam gears correctly when you put it back together? Obviously they were on correctly at the point where you broke the crank pulley free as the car ran up until that point.

The crank pulley can be off 180 degrees from the cams if you aren't careful when you line them back up. you should ALWAYS crank the engine over by hand with a wrench before you try to start it up when doing work on the head involving timing. If you had made it far enough to have the motor back together without damaging anything it would have been instantly apparent there was an issue as soon as the crank stopped turning easily by hand.

Secondly, when you installed the cams are you sure you had the lobes in the right location on each respective cylinder? If you installed the cams without following the factory installation order you were probably out of time to begin with. By turning the cams by hand to get the timing marks to line up with that of the crank pulley you could have had valve to piston contact right there before you even had the timing belt back on.

If I had to bet on it I would say whoever did the actual install of the cams didn't line up the lobe orientation correctly before they tightened the cams down and by turning them or turning the crank pulley to get the timing marks to match lined them up so they were both at the timing marks but one of them was one revolution out of time, that would cause piston/valve contact as soon as the motor is turned over.

Last edited by macd7919; 07-13-08 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 06:24 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by macd7919
Are you sure you lined up the crank pulley and the timing marks on the cam gears correctly when you put it back together? Obviously they were on correctly at the point where you broke the crank pulley free as the car ran up until that point.

The crank pulley can be off 180 degrees from the cams if you aren't careful when you line them back up. you should ALWAYS crank the engine over by hand with a wrench before you try to start it up when doing work on the head involving timing. If you had made it far enough to have the motor back together without damaging anything it would have been instantly apparent there was an issue as soon as the crank stopped turning easily by hand.

Secondly, when you installed the cams are you sure you had the lobes in the right location on each respective cylinder? If you installed the cams without following the factory installation order you were probably out of time to begin with. By turning the cams by hand to get the timing marks to line up with that of the crank pulley you could have had valve to piston contact right there before you even had the timing belt back on.

If I had to bet on it I would say whoever did the actual install of the cams didn't line up the lobe orientation correctly before they tightened the cams down and by turning them or turning the crank pulley to get the timing marks to match lined them up so they were both at the timing marks but one of them was one revolution out of time, that would cause piston/valve contact as soon as the motor is turned over.
thanks for the input! i will relay the message!