GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Avic D3, Questions, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 08:07 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Avic D3, Questions, Help!

hey guys, i'm considering getting an Avic d3 but i want to see if anyone has any experience with it/recommendations for a different unit.

1.) has anyone found a way to use the factory changer with one?

2.) has anyone found a way to keep using the factory sub with one?

3.) does anyone have pictures of one installed? I want it to seem as factory as possible.

4.) along with #3 above, how tough would it be to install a factory nav in my non-nav car?

its an 01 GS300, no nav, no ML
Old 07-13-08, 08:36 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by louiegs400
2.) has anyone found a way to keep using the factory sub with one?
any local shop will have to bypass it to make it work, i had a avic d3 in my acura and my honda had bose system it sounded good...

3.) does anyone have pictures of one installed? I want it to seem as factory as possible.
i have some from my acura and my honda ill post some up

4.) along with #3 above, how tough would it be to install a factory nav in my non-nav car?
not that hard all you need is a radio dash kit and after market radio harrens
and you will need to know how to do the bypass
one to bypass for the facotry sub
one to bypass to watch movies....

you can read more at
avic411.com

what i think about it ? some ppl like the avic d3 cause a lot of ppl have ipods now this and that i mean if you have a ipod thats good cause then u can keep the map disk in the dvd rom drive at all times thats the only reason why i dont like the avic d3 it has one slot, and i dont have a ipod i use mp3 disk
and every time i had to go some where i had to load up the addrest and put in my cd back in but other then that its a good radio iam sure it will be better if you have a ipod

d's are only photos i can find right now sorry

thanks louie, that helps, but in #4 i was wondering how hard it would be to install a FACTORY nav screen/system into my non-nav car, not the pioneer, anyone have any other experiences with either?
Old 07-13-08, 09:52 PM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed an AVIC-D3 into my gs300. With the radio kit, it looks original when it sits in the car. The ipod feature is awesome since your controlling it right from the screen and you see your playlists and such.

I was unable to use the original 6-CD changer so I sold it. I was unable to use the original amp so we tapped right into the speakers and are using the the d3's built in amped output. However I will be getting an amp as the speakers suck without having an amp or having the sub working.

Personally I really like this unit. The next step for me is to get the bluetooth setup for the phone.
Old 07-13-08, 09:55 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gennady7
I just installed an AVIC-D3 into my gs300. With the radio kit, it looks original when it sits in the car. The ipod feature is awesome since your controlling it right from the screen and you see your playlists and such.

I was unable to use the original 6-CD changer so I sold it. I was unable to use the original amp so we tapped right into the speakers and are using the the d3's built in amped output. However I will be getting an amp as the speakers suck without having an amp or having the sub working.

Personally I really like this unit. The next step for me is to get the bluetooth setup for the phone.
so there is no way to use the factory changer? Ive heard of a member on here that does a conversion to the back of the changer but don't know who he is. And you would recommend using another amp for the speakers with the unit installed? did you try using the oem amp even though the unit was installed? I'm not planning on changing any components, i just kind of want to plug and play haha.