GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Carbon Fiber trunk and hood ques.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 10:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Fancy would be using treated lumber
Old 03-11-11, 12:35 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
so bumping from the dead....i recently got my Seibon Cf hood and i would LIKE to get hood struts for it but it seems noone has them for the gs. i have gone through all these threads and emailed MOST the players in there who seem to have aftermarket hoods but im sure i missed some. i looked back and found a gb thread by figs and had been trying to talk to mike and hameed (who was the guinea pig for them) but mike doesn't have a solution as the 2 variations of hood struts he did make for the CF hood didn't work. one makes the hood bow up when closed and when he reduces the pressure some it wont hold the hood. it seems a new bracket is needed but as mike said he doesn't have a solution, which i would attribute to him being uber busy with more important things (like those amazing suspension pieces he makes) and the cost to make such a small run of parts probably wouldnt recoop his investment so its all good just need to find a solution

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...strut-kit.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-part-2-a.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...it-or-not.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-part-2-a.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-registry.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-the-hood.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...installed.html

so bottom line anyone have any hood struts they are using on a aftermarket hood that WORK?

Nice pick up! Are you going to drill and use hood pins? I have read in many areas that it is kinda dangerous to just rely on the stock latch; since the hood is so much lighter it can blow off a lot easier without hood pins. This is the only thing that deters me from picking up a nice vented CF hood.
Old 03-11-11, 12:39 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

stock hood for a carbon fiber hood? The guy with a CF hood got a great trade, After owning a CF hood and trunk before i'd gladly trade them for oem lexus hood and trunk all day

Brian hadn't read through everything but i used blown hood and trunk struts on my stuff and it worked great.. when my friend bought new trunk struts i took his old worn out ones and they held up my CF one perfect..

I know alot of people like them, but man someone couldn't pay me enough to rock a CF hood or trunk on my daily ever again
Old 03-12-11, 08:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I never found one for my fiberglass hood, ended up using a little snap-on extendable prop that I painted to match my STB and kept under the seat.

You could also go with less fancy solutions...
i didnt know you had a aftermarket hood on your old gs dave, i thought about a prop but i want it for more than just holding it up when working on it. i would like the extra security of it being fastened to the car

Originally Posted by speedaddic
look at Dave getting all "fancy"
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Fancy would be using treated lumber
hahaha

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Nice pick up! Are you going to drill and use hood pins? I have read in many areas that it is kinda dangerous to just rely on the stock latch; since the hood is so much lighter it can blow off a lot easier without hood pins. This is the only thing that deters me from picking up a nice vented CF hood.
nope, none at the moment. i though about some flush mounted hood latches but i doubt it....

Originally Posted by aka paco
stock hood for a carbon fiber hood? The guy with a CF hood got a great trade, After owning a CF hood and trunk before i'd gladly trade them for oem lexus hood and trunk all day

Brian hadn't read through everything but i used blown hood and trunk struts on my stuff and it worked great.. when my friend bought new trunk struts i took his old worn out ones and they held up my CF one perfect..

I know alot of people like them, but man someone couldn't pay me enough to rock a CF hood or trunk on my daily ever again
well def your opinion on who got the better deal lol, this is like the 4th vehicle i have rocked with either a CF hood,trunk or both.

i didnt think about picking up someones blown hood shocks, i wonder how long it will take me to find those

honestly the clear coat has just been re-sprayed so its in pretty good shape but eventually i may just paint it black to match my car but even on a black car its very subtle........i couldn't do the trunk though due to the stereo and such
Old 03-18-11, 08:03 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

anyone wanna get me the PSI from their stock shocks and measure them for me?
Old 03-18-11, 08:38 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aka paco
i used blown hood and trunk struts
That's the best way to go
Old 06-20-11, 05:34 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brian, did you ever get the strut issue taken care of?
I'm still debating if I should install my seibon hood. Also I think I will be painting mine to match the rest of my car.

In case anyone was curious. I just weighed my seibon hood......25.5lbs. Has anyone actually weighed the oem hood themselves?

If not I will be weighing mine next weekend.
Old 06-21-11, 09:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LALEX1
Hey Brian, did you ever get the strut issue taken care of?
I'm still debating if I should install my seibon hood. Also I think I will be painting mine to match the rest of my car.

In case anyone was curious. I just weighed my seibon hood......25.5lbs. Has anyone actually weighed the oem hood themselves?

If not I will be weighing mine next weekend.
i dunno, i literally just bought a set of blown shocks yesterday so i will see if i got it fixed. it took me awhile to find a set of blown shocks

im also considering painting mine to match but since my car is black it doesnt stand out so well but i have pondered it a few times

im interested to know how much the OEM hood weighs....
Old 06-21-11, 04:41 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

hah remove struts and just use a stick

plus Aerotech hood latches.
Old 06-21-11, 05:06 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
hah remove struts and just use a stick

plus Aerotech hood latches.
I dont really like the hood latches. I dont think they would flow good with my car. I think I'm just going to use some blown struts as well, if I decide to keep the cf hood.
Old 06-27-11, 05:04 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Just weighed the oem hood .............46lbs. not bad. So the seibon hood saves 20lbs.
Still trying to decide if it's worth installing it or not. Also how i should paint it if i do
Old 06-28-11, 02:21 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep oem hood!
Old 06-30-11, 10:29 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

well dude refunded me so im on the hunt for some blown hood shocks again SIGH
Old 06-30-11, 01:35 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LALEX1
I dont really like the hood latches. I dont think they would flow good with my car. I think I'm just going to use some blown struts as well, if I decide to keep the cf hood.
The hood latches aren't for looks as much as they are for function. The CF hoods can blow up from a broken latch. After all they are only fiberglassed into the hood. I'm sure the looks of the car won't flow very well with a smashed windshield from the hood flying open on the freeway....
Old 06-30-11, 01:48 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

i might be in the market for a cf hood. pm me if you guys wanna sell them. but they have to have vents. thanks

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber trunk and hood ques.