GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Carbon Fiber trunk and hood ques.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 08:38 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber trunk and hood ques.

So, I have been contemplating getting these two items for a while now. I want to replace my trunk because:
1. It has the OEM spoiler on it (and I don't want a spoiler anymore)
2. I would have to pay $$$ to fill the holes and have it re-painted

I have seen a CF trunk by Seibon for around $400. My car is black could I get away with leaving it CF? I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and add a different look all at the same time for probably about the same cost.

I was also looking into the CF hood for weight reduction, the look and because I have some road rash on my hood. I think these hoods also go for around $400-$500. Again, could I get away with this leaving the hood CF or would I have to paint it? Suggestions?
Old 07-15-08, 09:28 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know if they come clear coated but if they don't I suggest you get them done. I think it would look fine depending on the mod level of your car. To get an idea you can see Carbongs's car HERE. It is absolutely sick.

He might be able to chime in with more insight into what is required to use them.
Old 07-15-08, 09:36 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
I don't know if they come clear coated but if they don't I suggest you get them done. I think it would look fine depending on the mod level of your car. To get an idea you can see Carbongs's car HERE. It is absolutely sick.

He might be able to chime in with more insight into what is required to use them.
The CF hood CarbonGS got was already clear coated, so no worries there, but the CF trunk was a custom overlay. To the OP, you wouldn't have to get anything painted for the car to look good, but it would look more custom to paint the hood partially (ie. paint the lower side parts black, and leave the raised center part CF, etc) or do a fade like CarbonGS did on his roof spoiler and trunk.
Old 07-15-08, 09:38 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
So, I have been contemplating getting these two items for a while now. I want to replace my trunk because:
1. It has the OEM spoiler on it (and I don't want a spoiler anymore)
2. I would have to pay $$$ to fill the holes and have it re-painted

I have seen a CF trunk by Seibon for around $400. My car is black could I get away with leaving it CF? I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and add a different look all at the same time for probably about the same cost.

I was also looking into the CF hood for weight reduction, the look and because I have some road rash on my hood. I think these hoods also go for around $400-$500. Again, could I get away with this leaving the hood CF or would I have to paint it? Suggestions?
i think the carbon only looks good on certain style modded cars. are you sure seibon makes your trunk? i am pretty sure that it is only for the 1st gen gs and the 3rd gen gs. most of them are for the 05-07 models. i had to get mine custom wrapped in carbon because i wanted the look. i am going for an overall theme of carbon two tone. the roof will be done after i get my turbo set up situated. most members on here will flame you for getting carbon if you don't paint it to match the car because of functionality. i personally like the look, but you must have a slammed car with some street styled mods to complete the look. a good carbon hood will be atleast $750 all the other ones that go for less than $500 are crap. they usually have poor fitment and bad clear coats that allow the hood to yellow and discolor over a period or a year or so. just be careful and do your homework on what you get.

thanks Debonair! appreciate the link. that was before i got my rear carbon wing and carbon roof spoiler

thanks bing! here are some pics of the fade he speaks of

Old 07-15-08, 09:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe you will need new hood struts to open and shut the light weight c/f hood with ease.

Check out Hameed's thread. He has a sweet c/f hood on his car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d+carbon+fiber
Old 07-15-08, 09:59 AM
PlatanoTLS
Lead Lap

i been debating the CF hood myself but it goes against the theme of my car
Old 07-15-08, 10:01 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by carbongs

thanks Debonair! appreciate the link. that was before i got my rear carbon wing and carbon roof spoiler
No problem - Your car is definitely a benchmark for many other CL'ers like me.
Old 07-15-08, 11:28 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I believe you will need new hood struts to open and shut the light weight c/f hood with ease.

Check out Hameed's thread. He has a sweet c/f hood on his car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d+carbon+fiber
yeah, i don't even have any struts anymores. i have a hood prop. you can get the hood props that are less pressurized.

Originally Posted by PlatanoTLS
i been debating the CF hood myself but it goes against the theme of my car
yeah i think you could pull it off with painting the sides to match your car.

Originally Posted by Debonair
No problem - Your car is definitely a benchmark for many other CL'ers like me.
haha, thanks but i learn a lot from the other guys and i have a lot of mad respect for those guys who started it all and continue to push the envelope!
Old 07-15-08, 11:43 AM
LexFather

I Don't think Seibon makes a trunk for the 2GS but I believe if we got 10 guys to jump in, MVP Motorsports said they would order the other 10. Seibon requires 20 or more.

Rock, we are in the same boat as my front end is crap and my trunk has scratches and our cars are black. Tony's GS looks great in person, all his carbon fiber matches. His GS is a show GS so the carbon looks good unpainted.

For a car like mine, I would paint all if not most of the CF since its not a show car.
Old 07-15-08, 12:40 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say do it
Old 07-15-08, 12:58 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I Don't think Seibon makes a trunk for the 2GS but I believe if we got 10 guys to jump in, MVP Motorsports said they would order the other 10. Seibon requires 20 or more.

Rock, we are in the same boat as my front end is crap and my trunk has scratches and our cars are black. Tony's GS looks great in person, all his carbon fiber matches. His GS is a show GS so the carbon looks good unpainted.

For a car like mine, I would paint all if not most of the CF since its not a show car.
Mike,

I agree with you 100%. I was just trying to avoid painting it right away to cut down on costs. If I know I had to paint the CF parts then I might as well just re-paint my hood and my trunk (de-wing it as well) and not even buy the CF stuff.
Old 07-15-08, 02:49 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only looks good on certain themed cars. On mine, nope. My car is black too.
Old 07-15-08, 07:47 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

I wounder how much of a weight difference between the two, cf and stock?
Old 07-15-08, 07:51 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

the hood is really different. a carbon fiber hood is noticeably lighter than stock, however the trunk lids are about the same.
Old 07-15-08, 10:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Mike,

I agree with you 100%. I was just trying to avoid painting it right away to cut down on costs. If I know I had to paint the CF parts then I might as well just re-paint my hood and my trunk (de-wing it as well) and not even buy the CF stuff.
Let me contact some folks to see can we get a trunk GB going on.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber trunk and hood ques.