GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

completely restored an old looking headlight to brand new looking for $5.49 !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 06:08 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default completely restored an old looking headlight to brand new looking for $5.49 !!!

Ummm... so maybe this is common knowledge and once again i didn't get the memo, but on a post i read last week there was a slight mention of some stuff called plast-X by Meguiar's so i looked into it and ended up ordering a bottle for $5.49... The stuff came in yesterday and I took one of those circular cloth white applicator pads that you use to wax your car with that are like 1 dollar for a 3 pack at any auto parts store some windex and paper towels and went out to my car.

I first cleaned off the old dingy looking faded plastic headlight housing with windex, then I used the applicator pad and Plast-X stuff and just put a little on and went in circles and repeated this until the thing was completely clear again about 8 mins later. I only did one side of the car then went inside to ask my wife if she knew which of my headlights was the ugly faded looking one, she said she didn't so i brought her down to my car and asked her to point out which one looked the best... she immediately pointed to the one i had just used the plast-x on after barely glancing at the 2. she claims it almost looks like brand new and much much clearer than the other, which was my good looking one prior to the plaxt-x...

bottom line i was seriously considering paying a junk yard upwards of 400$ or ebay for 1 new passanger side hid housing then i bought this plast-x and it is like new again all for under 10$ including s&h. i highly highly highly recommend this stuff to anyone wanting to bring back that complete clearness to any of their headlights, fog lights, or drl's housings...

man this stuff is the shiznittle bam bittle...! as chapelle might say.

http://www.meguiars.com/?clear-plast...Cleaner-Polish
Old 07-16-08, 06:14 AM
-Future-
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup stuff is great, I used it with a buffer - good as new! Be sure to put a coat of wax on top of your headlights, this will help protect from the elements and re-hazing.
Old 07-16-08, 06:45 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

or take them off and clear them
Old 07-16-08, 06:46 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

just normal car wax??
Old 07-16-08, 06:53 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

put some pics on- thanks
Old 07-16-08, 06:56 AM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

pics please!
Old 07-16-08, 07:06 AM
dave11428
Pole Position

I have to try this, thanks for the tip Sojah
Old 07-16-08, 07:22 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

I picked some up last Friday and it works like magic!
Old 07-16-08, 07:22 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

here is a pic of the old looking headlight, passenger side/ left side when looking at the pic is the old dingy looking side in this pic...

i will try to get a pic of the new and improved looking headlight housing up this afternoon or tomorrow morning so you can compare the differences your self...
Old 07-16-08, 07:46 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If your headlight is heavily oxidized, sanding before may yield better results.

Here is an example of my friend's headlight. We wetsanded it with 800, 1000, and 2000 grit. Then Menzerna Intensive Polish (orange pad) was applied via circular polisher; followed with Menzerna Final Polish II (black pad). NXT was put on after polishing.

Before:

After:

The process on restoring these centercaps are exactly the same, besides one difference. I started the with 400 grit on the centercaps (they were in bad shape). With the headlights, 800 grit was used at the beginning. Depending on the condition of your headlights (level of oxidation, pitting, scratches, etc.), different grits will be needed.

They looked terrible:

400 grit sanding:

600 grit:

800 grit:

1000 grit:

2000 grit:

Polishes and pad(s):

Final result:

Good luck, guys.
Old 07-16-08, 07:54 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

whazzuppppp,, this is an awesome very detailed step by step, i took the lazy approach and yielded much better than the effort i put in results... but if it every gets any worse i will probably have to do something like what you guys did... thanks,
Old 07-16-08, 08:24 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

wow...

whazzzup thats an awesome step by step there...

on topic though, plast-x is amazing. when i used it i just put it on and rubbed it off really hard and my headlight was like new lol
Old 07-16-08, 09:03 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

werd, i would recommend the plast-x method to anyone who is a novice or just wants a quick and easy do it your self with still great results... maybe i'll pay whazzzuup to do mine next time... i called my rim manufacturer and they wanted like 125$ for only 3 center caps (lowenhart), maybe i could get someone to do whazzzuup's method for me and save some loot in the process. what do you think something like this would be worth for 4 center caps about 5-6 inches in diameter...?
Old 07-16-08, 10:01 AM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
If your headlight is heavily oxidized, sanding before may yield better results.

Here is an example of my friend's headlight. We wetsanded it with 800, 1000, and 2000 grit. Then Menzerna Intensive Polish (orange pad) was applied via circular polisher; followed with Menzerna Final Polish II (black pad). NXT was put on after polishing.

Before:

After:

The process on restoring these centercaps are exactly the same, besides one difference. I started the with 400 grit on the centercaps (they were in bad shape). With the headlights, 800 grit was used at the beginning. Depending on the condition of your headlights (level of oxidation, pitting, scratches, etc.), different grits will be needed.

They looked terrible:

400 grit sanding:

600 grit:

800 grit:

1000 grit:

2000 grit:

Polishes and pad(s):

Final result:

Good luck, guys.
Whazzzup did you Do the write up on Maxima.org... Wet Sanding is good. but if you dont have a buffer it aint going to look shiny...
Old 07-16-08, 10:25 AM
soakgame
Lead Lap

i just bought some plastx a week or two ago as well.. cleared it out pretty well but i still have a lot of knicks and scratches on there

Quick Reply: completely restored an old looking headlight to brand new looking for $5.49 !!!