GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Some good news (New wheels) and some bad news (New tires)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 10:15 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some good news (New wheels) and some bad news (New tires)

Some of you know that I was planning to upgrade to the 430 17" wheels (I actually wanted to purchase them from Ay-Nako) but I have poured so much money into needed maintenance on this car that I couldn't really afford them and thought it would take forever before that day came.

Well, the dealership that I work at decided to do a spring cleaning of sorts yesterday morning, and part of that was pulling out all of the old rims (mostly take offs) and tires that we don't need or use any more. In the process I discovered 4 brand new 17" IS300 wheels and asked what they were going to do with them. They said they were just going to give them away, to which I replied, "ILL TAKE EM!". So, I've got four 17" essentially new IS wheels which isn't exactly what I wanted in the first place but I'll take them.

Additionally, they're going to the body shop on monday to get refinished in gunmetal to go with the car.

So, the bad news. I thought I would keep these rims until I could really afford to get good, new tires until today. When I first got the car one of the rear tires was losing a lot of air, so I brought it to work and had them look at it. It was a hole which they plugged and it worked fine. Well I've noticed that at highway speeds my car has a bit of vibration coming through the steering wheel, which is somewhat off center. So I'm thinking that I need a balance and alignment, which I had them do for me at work last night. I didn't pay that much attention in the first place but I have 3 different tires. The front two match and the rear two are each different. (Yeah, the guy who I bought my car from was a real winner).

So upon trying to balance my tires, the tech tells me the road force on the front two is so bad that they almost don't balance at all but that he did what he could to smooth it out. The rear two aren't as bad, but are still in sad shape. So I'm thinking, "Ok I have the rims, I really need to save for those new tires." Then he goes to align the car to try and correct the off center steering wheel. Again, the alignment wasn't great but wasn't bad so he does what he can to straighten it out.

I drive home from work last night and the car is a good deal smoother but the steering wheel is still off center, so I asked the tech WTF he did since it's still the same. He said my tires are so crappy (all uneven wears, tread patterns) that if my car is still off center then that's why. So this morning I just bit the bullet and ordered four new Michelin Pilot MXM4s...and my credit card might kill me in my sleep. But we'll see.

Stay tuned...
Old 07-18-08, 10:35 AM
LexFather

LOL lol lol. Dude I have a thread saying how tire prices have skyrocketed. But hey, you got free wheels!!!
Old 07-18-08, 06:18 PM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If the steering wheels not straight when you're driving straight, then the alignment is still out. If the steering wheel is straight, and the car drifts left or right, it's a tire pull(or if it's a slight pull, it's the road crown) Generally speaking, a high road force will only cause a ride disturbance(noise or vibrations) but not a drift. The mxm4's are awesome tires for ride comfort, so you you should be in good shape when they go on...Michelins road force is one of the best out there, too. Have him recheck the alignment when the new tires are on! good luck
Old 07-18-08, 07:04 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, your steering wheel shouldn't be off if the alignment is straight. As mentioned before the car would pull but the wheel should be straight. Are your sure your alignment guy's head is on straight?

Last edited by macd7919; 07-18-08 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 07:40 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
Yea, your steering wheel shouldn't be of if the alignment is straight. As mentioned before the car would pull but the wheel should be straight. Are your sure your alignment guy's head is on straight?
lol.............. true