GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

EZ fix for broken actuators

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 11:57 AM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to try to fix my own using this method, pls let us know how it worked out and if you can post up pics(diy) it would be much appreciated..

Last edited by augdogg; 11-25-08 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-25-08, 04:15 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me clear a couple things up...
The actuator is a two part deal, the dealer can sell you just the motor portion, $75.00. You use this if your doors dont lock or unlock with the key fob or from the switch.
If your domelight comes on intermittently, or your puddle light doesn't come on then you need the mechanical assembly (the expensive metal portion that is the actual latch assembly). Inside the assembly is a small black micro swich that is trigger by a lobe on the latch that moves when the door is opened or closed.

I had the problem with the dome light/ puddle light not coming on. I took apart an old actuator and cut out the micro switch then transplanted it. The micro switches are the same for both left and right. So keep your old actuators.
Anybody with a dremel tool and steady hand can do the microswitch swap. Just epoxy the switch in when you are done.
Old 11-25-08, 08:02 PM
aristotle
Rookie

Originally Posted by 03aristo
Yes, Corolla 2001-2003 motor for the actuator have the same connectors as the 2GS . You can find one ranging from $50-80 at the junkyard or you can get one from the dealer. The front and rear are the same, but the rear is it a harder to get to, since there is very little room to work with. If you guys need help getting this fix let me know, the shop i got this done is in Pomona 909 area. I will get the Corolla parts number for you who want to get it at the dealer. The ebay one is going to cost you about $230 for one side but there is guarantee it wont go bad again since its the same motor.
part numbers would be nice..
Old 11-25-08, 10:04 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
Let me clear a couple things up...
The actuator is a two part deal, the dealer can sell you just the motor portion, $75.00. You use this if your doors dont lock or unlock with the key fob or from the switch.
Thx for clearing that up...i'm picking up the moter in a few days!
Old 11-25-08, 10:09 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribe.T
Old 11-26-08, 09:18 PM
bucwhokey
Driver School Candidate

does the lexus dealer even sell only the actuator motor assembly with out the door latch part. If so can anyone get the part number because i tried to replace the bad micro motor and in the process, i destroyed my motor assembly. so now i need one.
Old 01-21-09, 07:14 AM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

so you guys i found the part number for the actuators but it doesnt match 98-00 gs
For a 2000 Corolla with Power door locks, part numbers as follows:
LOCK ASSY, FRONT DOOR, RH 69310-02060
LOCK ASSY, FRONT DOOR, LH 69320-02060
LOCK ASSY, REAR DOOR, RH 69305-02040
LOCK ASSY, REAR DOOR, LH 69306-02040

and lexus part number is
Here are the part numbers and prices on their site:
LOCK ASSY, REAR DOOR, LH 69060-30450 $219.01
LOCK ASSY, REAR DOOR, RH 69050-30420 $219.01

LOCK ASSY, FRONT DOOR, LH 69040-3A071 $214.98
LOCK ASSY, FRONT DOOR, RH 69030-3A121 $209.35

and so can anyone really confirm that this really works?
Old 01-21-09, 07:48 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sleeper408
This is good to know in case my fronts ever go out.
+1 this is very good info..thanks much...
Old 01-21-09, 09:57 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the deal???

Originally Posted by Gs430Boi
so you guys i found the part number for the and lexus part number is
Here are the part numbers and prices on their site:
LOCK ASSY, REAR DOOR, LH 69060-30450 $219.01
LOCK ASSY, REAR DOOR, RH 69050-30420 $219.01

LOCK ASSY, FRONT DOOR, LH 69040-3A071 $214.98
LOCK ASSY, FRONT DOOR, RH 69030-3A121 $209.35

and so can anyone really confirm that this really works?

Are you for real. Please see the following DIY.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ators-diy.html

If you have trouble with this I can change yours for $20 each. You pay shipping both ways.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html
Old 01-21-09, 10:38 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You're wasting money looking for a Corolla motor, check into what TRD911 is saying, 5 motors for about $10 and there's a very detailed DIY thread(you'd have to do all this with a Corolla motor as well if I understand what part he used correctly). Check the links TRD posted!

I did this when my passenger door went out and it worked great. Plus I've got 4 more motors ready when another one goes out. Thanks again TRD911 and everyone else who contributed to that thread, saved me alot of money!
Old 03-07-09, 04:28 PM
johnnyo808
Driver School Candidate

Finally did the motor replacement DIYs for both passenger side lock actuators! I had read through the forums and bought the ebay motors @ 6 months ago. I finally had the time and gave it a go. Let me first say THANK YOU to all who have provided input on both the DIYs to change out the actuators AND to those who were able to determine and locate the cheap replacement motors, thus saving me upwards of $1,000 for the fix!!!!

2 things to note:
1 - for the front door, the window DOES NOT need to come out. All that needs to be done, is to loosen the bolt that secures the window track on the back side of the door, which will allow it to be swung up and out of the way.
2 - for the back door, the handle DOES NOT have to be removed. The assembly just needs to be "finessed" while pulling up on the door handle.

I did run into one bit of trouble, and was able to McGyver my way through. When trying to get the coupler off of the original motor on the first door, I (not very good thinking) used a punch, as I kept bending nails. However, once the punch pushed the shaft out of the coupler, its momentum continued, splitting the coupler in 2! OUCH! After looking it over some, I figured that since both the worm gear and the coupler on the new motors both had flat edges, I could epoxy the new gear in place. So I went ahead and epoxyed the motor in (being careful not to get epoxy anywhere else!) and put the door back together. Fully expecting it not to work, I hit the locks and about squirted in my pants! For those of you whose lock actuators haven't failed (YET) you cannot understand the joy of having them work once again! As for the second motor, I was a little more careful, and that one went perfect.

I did both doors the same day, and would say that (taking my time and being cautious) I only spent 4 1/2 hours between the two. Most of this time was spent being careful while taking the doors apart. Replacement was a snap!!

If you are patient and have any sort of mechanical skills (and tools) this is a simple DIY. If you find yourself reciting "righty tightly, lefty loosy" or you use a hammer for any and every repair job, you should leave this one alone!

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!! I can't find enough people to tell that I saved $1,000 this weekend! Vegas, here I come!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-09, 04:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If you guys want to make it easier, just replace the brushes. Swap the caps over so you dont mess with the gear and the shaft itself. I can do each door in 35-40 mins from start to finish. The motor itself will last forever. It's the brushes that wears out (Usually depleted all the way).
Old 03-09-09, 12:25 PM
V8RdnLow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 03aristo
Hey everyone, i know some of you are having problem with the front actuator. As you all know, the cost of a new actuator from dealer or even used one range from $100-$300 depending on where you got them. I had the same problem, my passenger and driver side doesnt lock automatically. You guys can spend $250 easily just for one side. However there is another cheaper route. You can purchase a 2001-2003 Toyota Corolla front actuator motor for about $50 each and swap out them out. Dont get the lexus actuator, it will eventually go out again. Its pretty much plug and play, the Corolla n lexus share the motor for the actuator. Unfortunately i dont have pictures, because my dad got it fixed. Hope this can save you guys some $$$$
Can you get a part#. I've called Longo Toyota & Carson Toyota and they both said they can't sell it separtely.

Originally Posted by TRD911
I can repair them.. PM me for details..

BP
I would take you up on your offer, however I messed up mine trying to do the DIY so I need a new one.
Old 03-09-09, 12:37 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
If you guys want to make it easier, just replace the brushes. Swap the caps over so you dont mess with the gear and the shaft itself. I can do each door in 35-40 mins from start to finish. The motor itself will last forever. It's the brushes that wears out (Usually depleted all the way).
This man knows what he's talking about, listen to him!
Old 03-09-09, 01:42 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg

If the brushes can be replaced...it's easier than having to pull out the gear attached to the tip of the ebay motor. I did that and warped it LOL. But acutuator was already trashed so I bought a new one.

Quick Reply: EZ fix for broken actuators