GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Keeping it a family affair

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 06:40 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Phamboogie
Noob question:

My car is a '99. Is it possible to replace the piece that's above the airbag on the steering wheel to an '01 piece? I'm curious because I like the chrome L. Thanks.
The airbag cover? I've always wanted to do it but the 01+ has a slightly different shape that won't fit. You would have to find an 01+ wheel with an 01+ airbag.
Old 07-22-08, 07:32 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 07-22-08, 09:26 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by chrispy
The airbag cover? I've always wanted to do it but the 01+ has a slightly different shape that won't fit. You would have to find an 01+ wheel with an 01+ airbag.
Crap, I would have to dish out $$$ for an airbag too?! Pff..no thanks. Anyway, Look what I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-L...em360067077264

Thanks, TMF & Milky!

Last edited by Phamboogie; 07-22-08 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Consolidating posts
Old 08-14-08, 06:56 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Booya-ka!

More photos to come..
Old 08-14-08, 07:04 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Lookin' great man
Old 08-17-08, 07:32 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Thanks~

I chromed my grill using:

I strongly recommend you simply spraying the grill chrome. Doing so greatly reduces time spent:

I poured the contents from the varnish remover bottle into the oil catch can thing. Wear a pair of latex gloves (double wrap, if you want) and apply a generous amount of the gel onto the grill. Let it sit there for a while too. I highly recommend wearing protective eyewear when using these chemicals. I got the stuff from Wal-Mart.

Oh, and thanks to whoever suggested using that varnish remover. I remember seeing it posted in a thread recently hence why I got it.

After two hours, I got real lazy as you can see.

Last edited by Phamboogie; 08-17-08 at 07:34 PM. Reason: More text.
Old 08-17-08, 07:48 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Red face

My friend gave me a thooper good price on BC Racing coilovers. They're the Type BR. Yes, they're made in Taiwan. Yes, I don't care what you purists have to say. Yes, they occasionally clunk. I got it for a little over a stack shipped. Yes, Orlando is not too far from where I live, but I am lazy. If you would like to talk to my friend at Titan Motorsports, PM me and I'll give you the info. He'll hook it up.

I may raise the car a little more when I do the balljoints, but I doubt it. It looks nice as it is even though I'm pushing almost -2 degrees camber in all four corners without a camber kit. Any recommendations on where I should get camber kits?

If there is something you don't like, please explain instead of trolling or flaming. I've seen enough of that garbage on Subaru sites. Enjoy!
Old 08-17-08, 08:39 PM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

looks great!
Old 08-17-08, 09:03 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

nice what wheels you got in mind??? i went with ray forged 19s? i really liked them b.c they are forged, they are staggered 19s, and they are still "oem".

anyways how did you completely chrome the grill like get all the excess left over residue? i used that crap called klean strip from homedepot i probably applied that **** like 3-5 times and let it sit for a while and still it wouldnt come off
Old 08-18-08, 04:08 AM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by handoverfi
nice what wheels you got in mind??? i went with ray forged 19s? i really liked them b.c they are forged, they are staggered 19s, and they are still "oem".

anyways how did you completely chrome the grill like get all the excess left over residue? i used that crap called klean strip from homedepot i probably applied that **** like 3-5 times and let it sit for a while and still it wouldnt come off
Psh, after seeing how 20s sit when the car is lowered, I'm sticking to it. I'm thinking about the iForged Revs with a brushed aluminum face and a chrome/polished dish. I plan to also shave the rear fenders as well. Should I also shave the front? I also plan to slap on a bodykit as well as the TTE lip for the stock bumper in the far future.

Anyway, use that varnish remover I posted. After a while, the gel got slightly caked onto the grill so I applied a little more and scrubbed it with the toothbrush. When you look at my grill in the pic you can see there's still some left, but I don't plan on getting it completely off anytime soon. I'm too lazy haha.

Edit: Come to think of it, my friend showed me some VIP wheels by SSR so I may go that route instead, but we'll see what the future holds.

Last edited by Phamboogie; 08-18-08 at 04:10 AM. Reason: More text
Old 09-01-08, 09:03 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Got a camber kit for both the front and rear from Exact. Here are the threads in regards to their product:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=373673

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=367657

Got them in the mail a day earlier than expected via FedEx Ground.

Here are pics of what they look like so you can get a better perspective on how large they are:

Here's what the front camber kit looks like with a (hand) size comparison:

I have a question in regards of the front RCAs here.

Oh yeah, my balljoints came in from Sewell a few days earlier too. Yeah!

Last edited by Phamboogie; 09-01-08 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 09:06 PM
chrispy

Nice man, how much did the front and rear RCA's cost you?

Let's see some pics after you install them too.
Old 09-01-08, 09:20 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Yeah, I'll post before-and-after pics when I'm done. I'm going to start this early tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have time to get it aligned right after I'm through. If anything I'll get an alignment the day after.

Front set: $179.99
Rear set: $299.99
PayPal fee:$25.00
Shipping: $16.50

Total: $521.50

Yeah, I know it's a lot of money, but I see it as a required step in my quest to make my GS leetsauce.

I was playing around with the rear RCA and one of those thingies got stuck. This is the result of me trying to get it out:

There are dents from me using a hammer to bang it out and also a few chisel marks from the screwdriver. It sucks it's not in good condition anymore, but whatever.

Last edited by Phamboogie; 09-01-08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 09:28 PM
chrispy

I see myself going the same route eventually. But for that price I don't know whether to go with the Youzealand SS kit or Exact.

That picture showing the different pieces to change the camber is really helpful in showing how this works. Thank you for that.

Just to clarify, the rear RCA's only help camber, right? You can't adjust to to add negative camber?
Old 09-01-08, 09:34 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

You're welcome. :-)

Wow, those Youzealands looks niiiice. But yeah, they only help obtain positive camber.

I didn't even know Youzealand existed until I saw you're post! Haha. The reason I went with Exact's rear RCA is because I would have the ability to fiddle with camber if need be.

Quick Reply: Keeping it a family affair