GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

i just listed my 99 gs400 for sale on autotrader... kinda sad...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 10:01 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i just listed my 99 gs400 for sale on autotrader... kinda sad...

i can't stop mod-ing and or paying for stuff i don't need on my 99 gs400 with 100k miles so i am going to try and sell it and get something that hopefully i will not have the urge to mod...

this car is costing me to much money and headache and i would like to sell it and be done with it.

i did the math 400/ month car payment + 400/ month gas (i drive a lot) + 100/month insurance + mods = well over $1000 a month total and for what. all i do lately is drive to work and then drive home... it used to be all worth it when i was younger and hung out with car guys and drove around on the weekends and washed it myself and all of that. i guess if i could get a cheap *** a to b car that would be worry free + get great gas mileage i would be satisfied and would probably save about 500$ a month as well... that 500$ could be used for hmmmm... well car mods i guess.... errgggg... i will try to save the money then buy a nicer car in the future... errrggggg.... maybe i'll start with upgrading my tv... and my wife keeps talking about getting some matching furniture. damn son thats not the life for me... is it?? let me see what happens and we'll go from there.

any thoughts??
Old 07-23-08, 10:23 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel you man, gotta keep the wifey happy, If it is costing that much money I say dump it, btw is hard to give up modding cars when is part of you, makes you happy, I mod mine very slightly and focus on maintenance for the most part, and I have no car payments and work close to home so im lucky in that perpective... GL with the sale I guess
Old 07-23-08, 10:55 AM
nutzo4lexo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you still have a note on the car most often then not you wont get the payoff amount leaving you up side down! I say take off the 20's, drive slower and shop around for insurance and save a few extra bucks. My 2cent.
Old 07-23-08, 11:09 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

make sure your wife is happy before yourself...so long as she is, you should be able to do whatever you want
Old 07-23-08, 11:53 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

nutzofor lexo thanks for the tips... my wife said to me yesterday why don't you just take off the wheels and drive it like that... i said i'd rather sell it than ride it around with the fugly lookin stock ones i have. but putting the stock wheels back on would make sense from a ride quality perspective... also i know i can at least get what i owe for the sale just prolly not so much anything else... man if i hadn't just paid like 1200 for the brand new tires on the rims that would be a lot easier to do. and i am not sure if i can drive any slower than i currently do, not in this car at least...
Old 07-23-08, 12:51 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

No Retreat No Surrender!

Maybe you can refinance the car to a lower payment - or just start making bigger payments to pay it off earlier.

Paying off you existing car is cheaper in the long run then getting another car you will not like then selling that and buying another Lexus....cause you know that's whats going to happen.

I do agree with the others though - Stick to maintenance and maybe get some lighter wheels. That style of 20's must weigh a ton. Then take the wife out for a nice dinner so she she knows she is loved more than the car.
Old 07-23-08, 05:56 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm so glad I finally received the pink slip after my final payment to the credit union. I love my car too much to sell her. I have even gotten offers from random people on this board. That just tells me to keep her. LOL
Old 07-23-08, 07:44 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

I agree. Sell the 20s. Buy some nice black 17s with a chrome lip. It'll look nice, but not hot. Take the money you got from the rims to buy them. Take out the subbox and sell it. You're gas mileage will go up a lot. Maybe with some of the money you make on the sale, buy some LED tails. It'll update the look a lot.
Old 07-23-08, 07:56 PM
Neo300
Lead Lap

Damn. All this 'gotta make the wife happy' and 'make sure the wife is happy before you' crap makes me never want to get married... ever. Maybe its just me .
Old 07-23-08, 08:45 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im feeling you, I pump 20$ DAILY. Heck, there are occasions when I pump $40. Gas is killing me Approximately 560.00 on GAS?! I could buy me a car on payments at that rate. Glad Im not married yet, but I guess the wife's love is all worth it.
Old 07-23-08, 11:05 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i know how you feel. i feel like buying a 99 infiniti G20 or a 99 Civic si and get good gas and not have payments but then i wont have a lexus.

LIFE ISN'T FAIR.

lol. oh well. im still young. and best of all, not married yay life
Old 07-24-08, 01:07 AM
soakgame
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I'm so glad I finally received the pink slip after my final payment to the credit union. I love my car too much to sell her. I have even gotten offers from random people on this board. That just tells me to keep her. LOL
i agree. mine has been paid off for 3 years now. i was pretty close to selling it this year too, but i changed my mind. i'm gonna hold on to it for as long as i can
Old 07-24-08, 04:58 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

the wife part really isn't the issue here but all the comments are just too funny.. she is the only one that keeps me sane with this mod-ing game.. if not for her i would be pushing a brand new ls460 with 22's and a kit.. (no lie) but with even less home furnishings...

so the real issue for me is every month i pay 1000$ + which obviously i have i mean i'm not hurting for cash or anything but after paying that 1000$ a month mind you i sit back and think about if its all worth it.. it definitely was until a few months ago when i signed up for these monthly unlimited car washes for a flat fee. since i moved in Feb. I am no longer able to wash and detail it myself. the condo/townhome association or whatever its called won't allow people to do anything on their cars in the parking lots... and yes they do call us to remind us of this.. really gay i know... but the ocean view and private beach slightly makes up for it.. so i basically no longer feel such a strong bond (without sounding weird) with my car anymore... the only time i drive it anymore is to work and to home from work, and that to me is not worth the 1000$$ + dollars i pay a month... cuz all there are are minivans, suv's, and hybrids on the road at that time occasionally the porsche guy going golfing or something but thats all.

i can't honestly say that my m-f commute and the occasional weekend stroll is worth paying 1000$ a month for.. but i crunched some numbers last night and it didn't make me as happy as i would have liked. basically if i picked up a like an 04-05 used matrix with sunroof mp3 in dash 6 disc changer + cruise and halfway descent seats with the center console arm rest my monthly payments would drop roughly $150 a month my insurance might drop 15-20$ a month and my gas would drop $150 a month totaling between $300-320 (at most) a month savings.. so is that 300$ a month savings worth downgrading so steep to a freakin matrix... or a used 03-04 s2000 would also save $150 a month savings but probably only 50$ a month on gas so to step down to a s2000 would save 200$ a month. or step up the payments 250-300$ a month and pick up a gs450h which would save 100$ a month on gas but cost an extra $250 a month on car payments. i know i wouldn't mod a matrix or a 450h other than possibly stereo upgrade, but if i got an s2000 i might be tempted to drop 5k on a turbo kit and it only gets worse from there.

Ultimately i wish i could get more for satisfaction out of my 1000$ a month for my car. the 20's getting sold and stocks put back on is def. a viable option and would prolly save 50$ a month on gas but that doesn't help that much.. the more comfortable ride comes at the cost of no longer riding on 20's and vice versa... but keep the comments coming.. they are much appreciated.. and yes the lexus is what i ultimately would like to own.

Last edited by sojah; 07-24-08 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-24-08, 07:23 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not tryin to be blunt or terse but I guess I am not sure what else your hoping to hear from CL your cost benefit kinda shows you your decision. Doesnt seem like the sale really has any value unless it gives you enough $ to payoff the other car your buying.

So I am not sure what your trying to get for the car or mileage or how soon but I think V-8's in general are having tuff times selling for same reason you state about gas mileage. Have you tried popping in to like Carmax or Dino Buys Cars (lol) or some of the shops in MD asking bout sellin? That would give you a reasonable "worst case" offer if you just want out! PS I'd remove the wheels of course before I traded.
Old 07-24-08, 08:17 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

well i know a dealer would probably offer me about 3-4 grand less than a
private party sale, and depending on the buyer i would either leave the wheels or take them off. I am def. not desperate about selling the car, I guess we'll just see how that goes. I didn't price it that competitively but it is in its range. 100K miles listed for 15k as is... http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ice=&cardist=4

i didn't want to put all this info in here at first cuz then it will get moved to the for sale section and i kinda just wanted to vent a little on this thread.

i've only once ever "given" a vehicle to a dealership and i won't do it again.. i was trading a 99 jeep grand cherokee with 50k miles in perfect condition except for the fact that it is a jeep to a lexus dealership in CO for a 2000 E420 MB w/ like 65k miles on it for about a 50$ a month monthly payment increase and of course pushing the payments back about 6 months to the original 5 years...

I forget exactly what they finally offered me for the jeep but the lexus dealership basically gave me like 13k for the trade and 2 days later i took the MB back to them to get my jeep back and it was already on their lot with a for sale sticker in the window for $17,500, a 4,500 dollar difference in the matter of 48 hours... so i believe they would have at least gotten 3k more than they gave me for nothing more than parking it on a hill and putting a sticker in the window, they didn't even have to clean it...

i know folks buying a lexus don't want all the mods, but i am not sure the regular lexus crowd would be who is buying a used 10 year old car with 100k miles on it for 15k.. i could be wrong though but certain mods may still appeal to certain demographics... not sure...

Quick Reply: i just listed my 99 gs400 for sale on autotrader... kinda sad...