GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

"bubbling" sound when I turn car off

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08 | 03:31 PM
V8LexGS
Rookie

Default "bubbling" sound when I turn car off

Guys -

I HAVE searched the forums, and got some ideas about this problem, but I want more information, and some opinions.

I have a 99 GS400, and I get a wierd bubbling sound from the dash when I turn the engine off.

I only hear it when I stop the engine, and after running the AC.

In searches, I have found that maybe I should bleed air from the cooling system, but if this only happens when I run the Air, then why would air in the cooling system affect this?

Also, it JUST started maybe 30 days ago.....for the past 2 mos, I have run the AC w/o any sound.....why would it just start doing this after 2 mos??
Old 07-24-08 | 04:14 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

i have the same issue....im hoping that it doesnt mean compressor/blower
Old 07-24-08 | 04:57 PM
V8LexGS
Rookie

Jcat -

Is yours loud as heck?

Mine is.

It's like there is someone inside the dashboard hitting a waterbong. Sounds like "blub, blub, blub, blub, blub" Sometimes a slurping sound too.

I am worried too. Hope we get some feedback ASAP.
Old 07-24-08 | 05:20 PM
phillygs3

sounds like a/c condensor thats pretty normal ..... its just the coil condensating (sweating) or sometimes refridgerant moving through the coil itself . I been in the ac trade for about 9 years now and thats pretty normal it even happenes on a home system if you shut your central air off in your house and go down to the furnace or blower you will hear the same thing its very normal dont worry about it

Last edited by phillygs3; 07-24-08 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-24-08 | 05:38 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

so any solutions?
Old 07-24-08 | 06:08 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phillygs3
sounds like a/c condensor thats pretty normal ..... its just the coil condensating (sweating) or sometimes refridgerant moving through the coil itself . I been in the ac trade for about 9 years now and thats pretty normal it even happenes on a home system if you shut your central air off in your house and go down to the furnace or blower you will hear the same thing its very normal dont worry about it
while that's definitely possible, it almost to me sounds like there's a bad bearing or something on the blower motor and rather than stopping when you shut it off it just kinda keeps moving/not rotating true. it does sound bubble-ish but it also sounds like a crackly grinding kinda deal.
Old 07-24-08 | 06:17 PM
phillygs3

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
while that's definitely possible, it almost to me sounds like there's a bad bearing or something on the blower motor and rather than stopping when you shut it off it just kinda keeps moving/not rotating true. it does sound bubble-ish but it also sounds like a crackly grinding kinda deal.
True.... The bearing could be making noise . If you can get to the blower motor try using some oil on it. And its also normal for the fan to keep spinning for a few seconds all fans do that. They just dont stop spinning when you shut the ac off.
Old 07-24-08 | 08:45 PM
V8LexGS
Rookie

Default Mine is Def NOT a blower issue

Mine is absolutely a liquid-type sound.

I drove home with the AC off today, and no noise.....likewise, no noise when only the fan/blower is on. Only when the AC has been running, and continues for up to 20-30 seconds after the ending has been shut down.

I will say that I have not noticed the usual condensation dripping under the car like you would normally see from the condenser on a hot day with the AC on.....could I have a clog in a drainline somewhere that is making this worse?

Suggestions???
Old 07-24-08 | 10:23 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

air bubbles in coolant. bleed your system of air it will go away
Old 07-25-08 | 04:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

mine has been doing this very quietly-ish latey too but usually only on really hot days and when i stop the car and turn everything off but the car i can barely hear it for a few seconds, then i turn the car off and it usually stops after a few seconds...

btw i just took my car to lexus paid 170$ and asked them to inspect the hell out of my car,,, you guys should know that if you tell lexus this that they will try there hardest to find something wrong with it right??? well they tried and only things they came back with were they wanted to turn (shave off the top layer with a brake lathe) my front rotors (i told them they were still brand new and not to worry about it) and they also noticed that my jl amp was slightly loose in the trunk and after making a few fast turns in a row if everything is off you can sorta hear it hit against the trunk wall... although i wasn't happy about paying the 170$ i was very happy that there wasn't anything wrong with it other than these minor things. so i wouldn't worry about the a/c thing either unless it really loud...
Old 07-25-08 | 06:16 AM
perrychad
Driver

Sound Like Maybe Some Air Trapped In The Heater Core. Might Want To Flush Or Bleed Your Cooling System
Old 07-25-08 | 06:42 AM
rhwimmers
Pole Position
CL Folding 25,000

I have had this problem and fixed it. My particular issue was it sounded like rocks or pebbles in your engine/dash area rolling towards you when you would accelerate. It would be a swooshing/water type of noise.
1. Check your coolent levels - make sure its not low/empty
2. Put car on flat surface and run your AC (pref on a hot day) after a few minutes you should see the water/condensation dripping out, you can move your car to find the "wet spot" lol. If there is NO wet spot then you have a clogged "resivoir" my mechanic/friend used a close hanger to clear out the "hole" where the water is supposed to drip out. It gets clogged from mineral deposits etc after some time. So he cleaned out this "hole" and filled up my coolent because it was very low, and problem went away.
hth

Ross
Old 07-25-08 | 10:18 AM
supra_trd
Driver

The hot gas bypass valve is opening when the AC compressor is turn off.
Old 07-25-08 | 07:49 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phillygs3
True.... The bearing could be making noise . If you can get to the blower motor try using some oil on it. And its also normal for the fan to keep spinning for a few seconds all fans do that. They just dont stop spinning when you shut the ac off.
haha i know they dont just stop, but this will keep going until a few min after i shut the car off sometimes.
Old 07-26-08 | 11:42 AM
shomann
Rookie

I have noticed this as well, but it is very faint. It sounds similar to the heater/radiator needing a good "burping" but much quieter. Definitely liquid.

What solves it for me, temporarily, is to turn the heater on full blast for a minute or so. Even immediately going back to A/C I don't hear it again for a few days or so.

I figured it was air in A/C coolant or air in the main coolant system.

Quick Reply: "bubbling" sound when I turn car off